Do i have shoulder pain? need help pls.

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by arfandy, Mar 31, 2014.

1. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

Dear BCmembers,

Recently i've been having a little pain and uncomfortable feeling located on my shoulder back, at the joint area. It's been going on and off for a week. At first i thought (still think) that this was due to wrong-sleeping position. Symptoms are:

1. When i look behind my shoulder to the right, i feel the pain around upper right area of my back. (normally i got this when woke up in wrong position but it only lasted max 3 days)

2. I asked my wife to massage, and punch around the lower-right of neck, it felt good but after using computer, it comes back again.

3. Pain isn't really hurt but it's annoying because i recently started playing badminton every nights instead of normal routine twice a week. I've lost the preliminary round of local competition because of the pain, caused my not able to smash at full power, response got slower.

Question:

1. Do i have the famous "shoulder pain"? (never had it before)

2. Is the pain purely because of wrong-sleeping position, wrongly use the laptop (laptop keyboard is slightly higher than my hand can reach while sitting), or because i intensively playing badminton daily (i noticed pain comes after few days of continues games!, normally i play max twice a week only)

3. Any remedies for ease up the pain a bit? i've tried apply hot-towel around the right-back shoulder. didn't really help.

Thanks

2. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>
    Seek physiotherapy advice...best thing u could do.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

1. No
    2. Yes, yes, yes.
    3. No. Should use ice instead.

4. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

okay, thanks. will try to use ice pack. been using hot-towel and somehow it felt worse. good to know i don't have shoulder pain.

5. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Make sure you don't ice the hold time! Ice for like 7 minutes then ice off for 7 minutes :)

6. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    use hot towel before games. use ice after games.

7. SmashAndDash

SmashAndDash Regular Member

8. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

Seems like you have similar shoulder issues as me. My physiotherapist reckons that I do a lot of computer work which greatly weakens the back shoulder muscles.

He asked me to do 8 different sets of shoulder exercises to strengthen it and I felt better after doing it daily for about 2 weeks. I still do them once in a while nowadays because I don't want to see him again, LOL.

I don't have the pictures with me right now. I could try and describe the exercises and see if you could understand... I will get the pictures once I am back home.

1. Put your hand against a wall or some hard surfaces that's tall enough. It should form a right angle at the elbow area. Your palm should be facing the wall. Push it against the wall. Hold that position for 1 minute. Repeat the exercise for about 3 to 5 times. You don't have to use all your strength. Push against the wall for as comfortable as you can feel, but not until the point of pain. If you feel pain, you need to reduce the amount of strength.
    2. Reverse the first exercise. The palm is now facing outwards. Imagine you are pulling something. Hold that position. Repeat the exercise for about 3 to 5 times.
    3. Lie face down on a bed or get a pillow or towel to support your head (so that you can breathe). Stretch out both of your hands like an aeroplane, but keep both hands relax. When ready, lift both hands up. Pinch your shoulder muscles together when lifting both hands. Hold this position for 10 seconds. After 10 seconds, relax a while. Repeat the exercise 10 times. One very important thing to note is to never bring your hands back. Your hands and shoulders should form a straight line when doing this exercise.
    4. It's similar to the exercise 3, except that now you stretch your hands in a Y-shape. Your hands are now stretching in front of you...
    5. Wall pushups. When pushing against the wall, you need to pinch your shoulder muscles together. Relax when the shoulder muscles when coming up. Repeat for 20 times.
    6. For this exercise you need a partner to help. Put your hands behind your head (like criminals!). Have a partner to pull until you feel a stretch in your shoulders. Hold the position for 30 seconds. Repeat for 5 times.
    7. Get to a wall again. Stand slightly further away from the wall (distance roughly the same as wall pushups). Put your hands at about 90 degrees and shoulder width apart, palms facing inwards. Lean forward until you feel a stretch near your shoulders. Hold it for 30 seconds. Repeat 5 times.
    8. After exercise 7, relax and stretch your hands straight up to form a V-shape. Hold this position for 30 seconds. Repeat for 5 times.

9. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

Thank you very much for all advices. Yes, i used laptop quite long per day. about 3-5 hours per day, and a week before i had this shoulder problem, my laptop was placed on top of the high table therefore whenever i sit and type, i had to lift up my shoulder pretty high.

i didn't think it was the problem at first. Then a week later when woke up, i felt it hurt and thought maybe i sleep in wrong position and caused the neck muscle hurt. But still ignored it, thinking that within couple days the annoying pain would go away BUT it didn't and gets worse after/during played badminton for 4 nights in a row. I felt the shoulder shakes and trembling when ready for smashing and/or clear BUT it was okay when in defensive position. Right Arm & right shoulder are shaking too when riding motorbike/bicycle long distance. I've been not playing badminton for 5 days now but still riding motorbike short-distance. Question, should i continue with my routine (play badminton, ride motorbike) or completely stop these 2 activities until shoulder gets better (i thought that MAYBE by doing some regular exercise, the muscle will heal itself... but so far it ain't the case)? While typing this, i can still feel the tingling sensation up behind the shoulder.

10. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

Best is to seek a physiotherapist's advice for him/her to properly diagnose and determine if you should continue. For my case, my physiotherapist says mine is not too serious, I can still continue playing badminton, but the shoulder exercises must be done.

11. Boonbeng

Boonbeng Regular Member

Life's good
    i just went for mri scan and found out that i have a SLAP tear on my shoulder, it is hurting really badly right now, can't even lift racket properly

12. T.O.P

T.O.P Regular Member

Do you warm up before going to badminton games???
    Your situation quite serious. can be your shoulder joint sprain too.
    Mayb try to warm up before game / or try to change your style of play like Drop instead of hard smash.:eek:

13. K3lvin1004

K3lvin1004 Regular Member

Stdent
    Hey guys, may I know the exact location of the shoulder pain? Because currently I've shoulder pain for the past 3 weeks, and it seem like is the same as what you guys mentioned like unable to smash hard..

14. visor

visor Regular Member

Probably best if *you* label on a picture where your pain is.

15. K3lvin1004

K3lvin1004 Regular Member

Stdent
    Hi visor, thanks for replying...
    the pain i felt its around this area.
    Untitled.jpg

16. T.O.P

T.O.P Regular Member

That's probably muscle area.

17. frederic

frederic Regular Member

Pharmaceuticals
    I had shoulder pain at last month. Feel so sick due to this pain. I never feel such a situation in my life ever. My mom massaged on my shoulder and now I am free from pain and dangers.