Racket Recommendation

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Greedyguy, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Greedyguy

Greedyguy New Member

Accountant
    Hello I need a recommendation for a new racket. Here is some background info about me:

- Been playing very casually for 4 years
    - I am playing once a week now, and will start playing twice a week when I have a little more time
    - I play both doubles and singles
    - I have a balanced style of play. I am not overly aggressive or defensive. I switch it up.
    - I don't have a budget
    - My current racket (my one and only racket that I ever bought) is a Black Knight Pro Tatic
    - I will prefer a Yonex racket (joining the bandwagon)
    - I can neither drop or smash very well
    - I can clear the full court, but I feel that I have to use a lot of strength to do so
    - I am thinking either a nano speed z, voltric z force, or a arc saber 11. But I am open to other suggestions

Thanks

2. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    Go for Arc Saber 11

3. Greedyguy

Greedyguy New Member

Accountant
    Can you elaborate on why so I can make a more informed decision?

4. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Where you usually play? Plastic or feather? What make you think that you can handle those 3 top ended rackets? Best bet for you is to buy 3 different rackets, head light, even balance and head heavy.

5. Greedyguy

Greedyguy New Member

Accountant
    I usually play plastic, but I play with feathers sometimes too. I play on matted courts. As for what makes me think I can "handle" these 3 top ended rackets, nothing. I just want a good racket.

6. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    why do you think these three rackets will suit you?
    since they are on opposite to the extreme. one is so head light, the other is head heavy and the last one is even balance?

arcsaber 11 is a good choice since it is even balance. you already said it "I have a balanced style of play" and a racket with even balance head (an all around racket) will suit you well.

have you consider Victor? it is cheaper and as good as Yonex.
    try the Meteor X series or BraveSword series for all around rackets

7. Greedyguy

Greedyguy New Member

Accountant
    I am not too sure which racket will suit me, which is why I am asking. I haven't really considered which racket i want until now. My current racket was a random buy 4+ years ago.

8. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

IF you are under the budget, then why not try Karakal BN60 (6U weight)? by now it should be around $70-85/racket, it's claimed to be lightest-weight racket on earth, but with very good durability & reviews from users. It's head-heavy (BP 301mm, similar to Yonex VT80 but the weight is less than ArcFB, better yet.. price much more less than Yonex/Victor and they are not copycat companies). I plan to get 2 rackets myself next month... in addition to many 3Us branded rackets.

9. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    After 4+years of playing, you still don't know? What is the chance of us who never see you hit a bird know which racket suit you best? Just buy one mid-range YY even balance and go from there. Or ask a better player for opinion.

10. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Greedyguy: It would appear that you are getting some harsh advice so far on your first thread.

I have no experience with any of those rackets. But I do have experience in being a long-time casual player. You will find that you will get used to any racket if you are playing and practicing more than before. New strings, by themselves, will feel wonderful on whichever racket you buy.

That being said, there is a lot of sense in the recommendations from the others that you go for the balanced racket, Arc 11. It will allow you to develop your game without handicapping you in offense or defense.
    __

BTW Karakal is a fine brand but you are not likely to find one in a shop in Canada. And for this important purchase consider it like a marriage: You should want to choose your prospective bride in the flesh rather than online. :rolleyes:

Victor, another purveyor of fine rackets, is not much different in price from Yonex in Canada.

Good luck in your adventure! :)

11. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    Its a good idea to start with a balance racket.

12. atypical

atypical Regular Member

Systems Analyst
    May I suggest the Victor Bravesword LHI. It is a Very Slightly head heavy racquet. Shaft is a little stiff, but when you improve, you will appreciate it's stiffness in defence and net play. Power is there for you to tap.

Take the 4U if prefer swift.
    Take the 3U if you want a bit more oomph to your smash.

13. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

I am guessing that the Z Speed won't be suitable for you as you need a lot of strength to clear full court. A lot I know who has to use a lot of strength to clear can't handle the Z Speed. The other 2 should be OK for you. Possibly just a matter of preference.

If you could test out all 3, that would be the best. Or you can test out whatever available rackets you could find. Your friends may have them. You can borrow from them and try a game or use it to stroke to get a feel.

From personal experience, casual players could handle almost any rackets unless its specs are on the extreme end (Z Speed is one of those, head heavy, weighs fairly heavy and is very stiff).