Yonex bday gift for hubby

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by tintin82au, Apr 1, 2014.

1. tintin82au

tintin82au Regular Member

Hi all,

I want to buy my husband a birthday gift being a Yonex Racquet but not really sure what would suit him best - need your advices please. :rolleyes:

He plays badminton for really long time and is at advance level & loves those powerful smashes (like all guys do). :D

Money is no object and I'm thinking Voltrex 80 (or similar) for him. Please suggest the best racket for man that provides powerful smash (like the MP99 he used to love) & grip size & suitable string tension etc.

Thanks heaps in advance.

:p

2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Does he play doubles or singles more?
    If you take a look at his racquets, you should be able to see the notation for the grip size on the cone of his racquet. It would read something like:
    3U| 5G
    The "3U" (or "4U") tells us the weight range he prefers.
    The "5G" (or "4G") tells us the grip size he prefers.

3. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Better yet, go through his racket inventory and tell us what he has.

4. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    Go for Voltric Z-Force II.

5. tintin82au

He does double but not playing for a long time just come back as a frequent player lately.

He used to had a MP99 that really loved but then it broke, and as he's not a frequent player back then he did not really spend for racquet and is using the Ti6. He told me it's (Ti6) just an average racket here and there but the guy is a nice guy does not want to spend for himself with new racket only to use once a week- so I really want to give him a nice present this time. :rolleyes:

Maybe I'll get him a new Voltric ZF II (thanks Teoky) - but how should I string that for him?

Thanks guys :p

6. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    No problem !

What you mean by how to string for him ? The shop you buy the racquet will string it for you.

What you need to decide on is the string and the tension.

You can take a look at his current racquet and see what string he is using. There will be marking on the string itself that shows the brand and the model. For the tension, probably you can ask him ?

7. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    just saying, You need to be aware that there are so many fakes out there
    a Voltric Z-force II will costs you around $200. if you find a sale, such as only for $50 or $100, DO NOT believe it. it is FAKE
    do not trust ebay, nor alibaba, dhgate, gum tree, or craiglist.

buy from trusted sellers (Yonex authorised seller) such as calibre Australia

believe me, you don't want to buy a fake as a present right?

to make it easier:
    Voltric Z-force II (4U, which means the lighter one, from 80-85 grams)
    https://www.calibreaustralia.com/ba...p-659?osCsid=413c193313ff9cbb684c4b232b97232b

voltric Z-force II (3U, the heavier one, 85-90 grams)
    https://www.calibreaustralia.com/ba...p-658?osCsid=413c193313ff9cbb684c4b232b97232b

for string, I highly recommend Yonex BG66 Ultimax (in the "strung with" option)
    for string tension, ask your husband. usually it will range around 22-27 lbs (if he has no clue, put it at around 24lbs)
    that will in total costs you around $245 (Australian dollar)

=====

*there are many options for a racket out there, the "arcsaber 10 premium 2012" looks gorgeous (and might be a safer bet if your husband doesn't like to smash a lot. it is easier to handle than Voltric Z-force II)

or victor is also great. but since he might not know how good victor is, then stick with Yonex for more brownie points ;)

Good luck with your purchase and Happy advance B'day for your Husband

**I never got paid by Calibre Australia to promote their shop. (if they want to pay me then it is also good though lol..)

#7 Avenger, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  8. IvanT

IvanT Regular Member

Student
    If you'd like to surprise him, you could get the racket for him along with the un-opened string wrapped up, and then have him string it at a store another time so he could tell them what tension he likes. But if you're unsure as to what string he'd like to use, then you could get him the racket first, but I'm sure he'd be happy with the BG66 Ultimax, which is the recommended string for the Z Force II, if that's what you're getting him.
    Also stores usually charge a lot as a labor fee for stringing services, but if you're buying from a store, you could tell them that you're getting the racket and string as a gift for your husband, and that if it's okay to come in at a later time with your receipt to get the stringing done without the extra labor fee. Usually there isn't any labor fees or it is already included when buying the racket at a store. :)

Good luck with your gift, it is really nice of you to get him a racket. He'll definitely be really glad.

9. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    One question. How many times you allow him to play a week after given him the new racket?:D

10. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

If he plays doubles as well and he has just started playing regularly again I would recommend the Voltric 80 @ say 24lbs bg66UM.

The z forces and z speed etc are demanding rackets and if he is of quite a good standard but only recently taken up regular badminton again so has has lost badminton specific conditioning these rackets could spell injury or problems. Voltric 80 much more forgiving and easier to use relative to those rackets but still relative to most other rackets packs a massive punch.

I recommend the 66um at about 24lbs because that is not crazy high or low and because 66um will break in few sessions anyway so if he didn't like them he not stuck with them for long:D

His eyes might light up seeing the brand new zforce 2 but you might be doing him a favour to not get it:D

11. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

You guys twin brothers or something? word for word! :p

12. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Phone my mother, she said "unless taken away from her at birth".

13. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Totally agree that the ZF may be a bit too much to handle. I'd look at a Nanospeed, Nanoray or even maybe Arcsaber range.

14. bos_dc2

bos_dc2 Regular Member

One up and get him signature racquets lol..

Voltric 80 Peter Gade
    or
    Arcsaber 11 Taufik Hidayat

15. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Lol, I suppose my question will have to remain unanswered then.

16. visor

visor Regular Member

Be careful to not click those links. There're some spam bots getting thru the forum filter. Report them and the mods will remove them, as I see it has been done already.

17. tintin82au

Hi Guys,

Thanks a million - you guys are really sweet and helpful. I'll tell my little sister to marry a badminton guy lol. :cool:

I've decided to get him a Voltric ZF II from Calibre - thanks to Avenger.

Other suggestions for Arcsaber 10&11 I just remembered my husband tried those rackets but not too impressed he said they're all good but still not his type (he prefers powerful racket) - so must let these pass. :p I was thinking Voltric 80 as per some friend's suggestions long time ago so I'm glad that I came here to ask and found out there's a better one.

I guess a trendy modern flashy ZF II will really bright his eyes (hopefully he won't play it that hard to get into trouble as said by craigandy :p )

Thank you all & have a good game !!!! :*

18. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Neither the first Z-Force nor the ZF II is flashy.
    For that, you will need the Nanoray Z-Speed :D

19. visor

visor Regular Member

Don't get the Z Speed, or else OP's husband will swear off Yonex forever! ;)

20. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

i have a request too...where can i get such a wife? :)