User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by christoffer
    It depends all on how well you know you're partner, enought hours together on a court and you know your partners every move and shot from different positions.
    Now this is someone who have the same mind as mine.
    lol.........

It will be unwise to do it if your partner is slow or old(most old people are slow). If you can punch full court, you should not be too worry of the return. There is a limit of what they can do but you have to be ready to go for net shot as punch is a not totally offensive. Even if the opposition can smash, it will not be sharp enough as the height is been cut off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hyun007
    Now this is someone who have the same mind as mine.
    lol.........

It will be unwise to do it if your partner is slow or old(most old people are slow). If you can punch full court, you should not be too worry of the return. There is a limit of what they can do but you have to be ready to go for net shot as punch is a not totally offensive. Even if the opposition can smash, it will not be sharp enough as the height is been cut off.
    are you saying that you can just pick it off easily at the net . i wouldn't try smashing a punch unless i had no other option, i would preferably play a fast drop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lindanfan
    are you saying that you can just pick it off easily at the net . i wouldn't try smashing a punch unless i had no other option, i would preferably play a fast drop.
    I would say it creates a good probability of a weak return if you can do it right and your opponent is caught off footed.

As for smashing a punch, most people will not or unable to do it but you have watch out for those who can anticipate very fast and those who just smash at any shot above their head.

Fast drop is good if you execute it well but then do remember that the punch purpose is to make the opponent do a poor drop or poor clear. Hence when one execute a punch, they are very keen to anticipate a drop or a clear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say it creates a good probability of a weak return if you can do it right and your opponent is caught off footed.

As for smashing a punch, most people will not or unable to do it but you have watch out for those who can anticipate very fast and those who just smash at any shot above their head.
    In double there's really only one way the shuttle can go.. and that's down. Any shuttle which is above the net and can be shot in a downwards-angle can and will be shot down, thats the way it goes.. I agree about the foot-stance and it often does surprice your opponent because they're expecting an attack/smash..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In double there's really only one way the shuttle can go.. and that's down. Any shuttle which is above the net and can be shot in a downwards-angle can and will be shot down, thats the way it goes.. I agree about the foot-stance and it often does surprice your opponent because they're expecting an attack/smash..
    i agree with you on the matter, but surely a flick serve goes against this. if a flick is done right it can be very effective. is this the only exception to the downwards rule?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lindanfan
    i agree with you on the matter, but surely a flick serve goes against this. if a flick is done right it can be very effective. is this the only exception to the downwards rule?
    Not all shots in double has to go down.
    There are some other shots that you can do as well which deny the rule that shuttle in double must be going down.
    Drive shot is another example which is usually flat.

If catch an opponent off footed, then the return shot might be a high clear and not necessary going down.

If you are going to hit every shot going down in double then your opponetns will be able to anticipated your shots easily.
    You need to mix the shots every now and then to make opponents guessing and catch them off guard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not all shots in double has to go down.
    There are some other shots that you can do as well which deny the rule that shuttle in double must be going down.
    Drive shot is another example which is usually flat.

If catch an opponent off footed, then the return shot might be a high clear and not necessary going down.
    And if you smash on your opponent they will shoot the shuttle upwards instead down.. Same story, either you attack or play defensive.
    Regarding the drive-shot as you use in your example I must say I don't agree. Even "flat"-shuttles are angled. It's true they aren't angled as much as a smash but they are still angled and thats makes it hard for the opponent to return. An truely flat shuttle is easy to break in it's lane so a an angle is required.

If you are going to hit every shot going down in double then your opponetns will be able to anticipated your shots easily.
    You need to mix the shots every now and then to make opponents guessing and catch them off guard.
    Driveshot, smash, wrist-smash, cut, drop ... No one says you only need to jumpsmash at the same spot 10 times in a row to win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And if you smash on your opponent they will shoot the shuttle upwards instead down.. Same story, either you attack or play defensive.
    Regarding the drive-shot as you use in your example I must say I don't agree. Even "flat"-shuttles are angled. It's true they aren't angled as much as a smash but they are still angled and thats makes it hard for the opponent to return. An truely flat shuttle is easy to break in it's lane so a an angle is required..
    Flat shuttles not necessay angle down if your opponent is big and tall when you are hitting it flat toward his forehand shoulder. When doing a defensive flat drive, how am I going to make it go angle down?

Driveshot, smash, wrist-smash, cut, drop ... No one says you only need to jumpsmash at the same spot 10 times in a row to win.
    See what I mean. All the shots you mentioned are in the front, hence I do not have to worry about any shots that will go above my head. And I need to move is center and front. No need to move to the back when defending but if you mixed it around, then I will have to be more cautious.
    Last edited by hyun007; 02-18-2006 at 07:11 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flat shuttles not necessay angle down if your opponent is big and tall when you are hitting it flat toward his forehand shoulder. When doing a defensive flat drive, how am I going to make it go angle down?
    As you've said yourself a defensive flat-drive... When you picking up a smash you not smashing on it your self, but lift it..

See what I mean. All the shots you mentioned are in the front, hence I do not have to worry about any shots that will go above my head. And I need to move is center and front. No need to move to the back when defending but if you mixed it around, then I will have to be more cautious.
    Well yeah, because those are the most used shots in double but that doesn't mean that you don't use clear? You see smash and smash-pickups in single as well but you hardly see any singlematches where the majority of shots is smashes.
    I'm not saying that theres any rules of which shots which can be used in a specific type of game, I'm just saying that theres a difference in the way badminton is being played of you compare double with single.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As you've said yourself a defensive flat-drive... When you picking up a smash you not smashing on it your self, but lift it..

Well yeah, because those are the most used shots in double but that doesn't mean that you don't use clear? You see smash and smash-pickups in single as well but you hardly see any singlematches where the majority of shots is smashes.
    I'm not saying that theres any rules of which shots which can be used in a specific type of game, I'm just saying that theres a difference in the way badminton is being played of you compare double with single.
    I was cross examing of you saying that every shots in double has to go down is to go down, if that is the case, then that particular person will not be using clear at all. Not saying that a clear should not be done in double.

I think both of us are getting abit off track on this topic.
    It will be nice if you read my all my previous post on this thread.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4