Shanghai International Badminton Club

Discussion in 'China / Hong Kong' started by YINTH, Mar 6, 2004.

1. YINTH

YINTH Regular Member

Sales
    Dear all
    I am delighted to introduce our club profile to the avid badminton fans here.
    Whenever there is a chance visiting China especially Shanghai, just leave your message at the forum and will will direct you further.

Welcome to www.shbadminton.com

The Shanghai International Badminton Club was founded by a group of overseas Chinese expatriates, who were avid badminton fans that met regularly at the badminton courts. Since its creation in 1994, the Club has provided its members various opportunities for meeting acquaintances, bonding friendships, business networking, and mutual exchange of ideas and assistance. The shared camraderie that exists amongst the club's current 60 members has grown beyond a mutual love for badminton. The club has proven itself to be a good place for new expatriates looking for a new but warm and welcoming Shanghai connection. And for the keen badminton players, club members have consistently fared well in various amateur and friendly competitions throughout the year.

2. tofu_boy

tofu_boy Regular Member

Brick layer
    Shanghai

Where does the club meet up and what are the caliber level of players? I checked the website, is that Ahai front right in the picture shown?

3. YINTH

YINTH Regular Member

Sales
    HI

Ya Ahai is there. He is employed to coach group B members mainly on fundamental
    skills etc.
    We are quite lack source of young single player but we are strong in double in Shanghai city. If you are always participate in Shanghai badminton community then you should know this. Most of the players here are expatriates and most of players are at thier 30 - 40s.

Just ring me at 1391 733 3310 when you are ready to visit us.

Thanks.

4. tofu_boy

tofu_boy Regular Member

Brick layer
    I play with Ahai on a frequent basis mostly on Mondays. I'd only join if there were strong players interested in playing singles...although I do play doubles on occasion as well.

Ahai knows my skill level as we play quite frequently.

Thanks again,

Toby

5. JohnWu

JohnWu New Member

Hi,

I live in canada vancovuer

I am going back to china in summer 2005 shanghai for 2 months, it's actually a place called Tai Chang, place around 50 kms from shanghai, could you please help me find a place for training for 2 months? thanks.

6. YINTH

YINTH Regular Member

Sales

I know the place. You may go to Nantong (45 minutes drive if the bridge across Yangtze River is built as schedule) as there are the hometown of Ge Fei and other badminton talents. Anyway, Just log in www.chinabadminton.com and I believe you may find yourself a suitable club throughout China.

7. wimsey

wimsey Regular Member

Be Warned. Club is not very welcoming

I went to the club webpage, and phoned one of the contact persons. He told me that the club was not suitable for me as I was just visiting Shanghai for a week. That was a shocker. Moreover, he asked me what nationality I was, as though that made a difference in terms of membership or temporary participation.
    Having run a successful badminton club in Boston, I am disappointed by their attitude, though they may have a legitimate reason that I have yet to discern.

If you are in the situation as I am, you might have better luck with www.badmintonfan.com if you read chinese.

8. Lilka

Lilka New Member

good co-players in Shanghai searched

Just arrived to Shanghai, good players feedback for a game!

:cool:

9. Lilka

Lilka New Member

When and where are you playing? Would like to join.

10. michaelcool

michaelcool Regular Member

IT
    still wait someone to play? maybe i can help u: to go to SHBC club, there are quite a lot badminton fans there. you must can found a player with the same techinque compare to u. if u need help ,for example to take u to go there , u can post me message.

11. the researcher

the researcher New Member

Need some help

I am currently doing some research about amatuer Badminton tournaments in China. I am specifically looking for more youthful tournaments. I have found very little and struggling to find a good source of information. If you know of any tournaments, either grassroots or University level, would you please email them to me at rob.kneip@gmail.com. I greatly appreciate any advice anyone could have on this subject. Thanks again

12. Marcustzy

Marcustzy Regular Member

I share your dilemma as I am also very keen to take part in amateur competitions in China but I am not well versed in Chinese so it's not easy to know about compeitions from most of the websites which are in Chinese.

I am a member of SHBC and thankfully my friends have always kept me informed of the competitions in Shanghai and in China.

I have not played in International Badminton Club before but have met briefly with some of them.

13. Lilka

Lilka New Member

HI Michael!
    Hope you're doing fine.
    Actually I am not in Shanghai since a long time, thereofre am not really looking for co-players there :). Just forgot about my post at badmintoncentral. By the way,do you know how I could delete or suspend this post. Thank you.
    Best regards,
    Lilka

14. Marcustzy

Marcustzy Regular Member

Ah Hai is one of the best players in the amateur badminton circle in Shanghai. Is he still coaching there?

I have been to Shanghai many times but have never played in International Shanghai club yet. How much does it cost and where do you all play?

15. Eddy99

Eddy99 New Member

Executive
    place to play

Hi everyone,

I spent a hours looking through this site trying to locate a place (with regular club schedule), but doesn't seem to have. I live in Shanghai now.
    Can someone point me a direction? I am looking for a group of people or a club where there is some good players. Although I am not a professional player, but I believe my level is quite good as I join tournaments regularly years ago when I was back in the States. Have not play for more than a year now after move to Shanghai, I am now eager to get back to my game.

Thanks,

Eddy

16. michaelcool

michaelcool Regular Member

IT
    hi, Eddy. maybe i can give u some message to help u find a favourite place or a club: i go to some badminton club oftenly, can u tell me ur location in shanghai?

17. aarnipariola

aarnipariola New Member

exchange student
    Hi,
    I'm a finnish exchange student studying in Shanghai University.
    Been playing 25 years so my level is quite ok. Been competing regularly in Finland so I'd like to meet some experienced players and of course find a place to play.
    I'm studying in Shanghai University, Yan Chang Road 149, Zha bei district.
    Please help me, it has been almost a month since my last badminton session. I'm dying to get to the court:)

18. Robbo77

Robbo77 Regular Member

Accountant
    Hi I am in Shanghai for a week.

I am living in Jia Ding district, transport not a problem as taxi everywhere and my wife is Shanghainese. Is there any club I can play?

Thanks
    Anthony

19. aarnipariola

aarnipariola New Member

exchange student
    Hi

There are several nice clubs in Shanghai, especially in Yang Pu District.
    The ones I've been playing are not professional clubs but still it has been quite fun to play there:)
    However, it might cause some unexpected situations if you just go there without any advance notice.

I am not going to play this week but please email the gentleman in the email adress below.

michaelcool@gmail.com

He can arrange you inside to the clubs..
    He is a local player and really a nice guy.

Wish you get a chance to play:)

-Aapo-

20. Robbo77

Robbo77 Regular Member

Accountant
    Thankyou for the information. I am going to play tomorrow in the city, not sure where yet, but my wife is talking to him.
    Cheers:)