Badminton Strings in Cold Climate

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Monster, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Monster

Monster Regular Member

I'm moving to a cold temperate country soon. It is north of Hokkaido, so there you go - the usual 4 seasons. Winter gets as cold as -20degC and could last for 4-5 months of good snow.

Question 1 - I use BG66 currently. I have heard that in cold climate, the thin BG66 will easily snap. What is your experience?

I will say that my racket will mostly be at home and home will be equipped with heater. The humidity in the place is 70-90%.

Qestion 2 - I don't know how to string, don't intend to learn. There are no stringers in the place where I will be re-located. I intend to bring several rackets. How should I stagger my tension? I am used to 28 lbs. Should I have rackets that go 32, 30, 28 lbs? I will return to my country once a year and get rackets re-strung upon return. I break strings about once a month on average.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

I'm sure there will be some good stringers there where you play... just ask the local good players.

In Canada in the winter, I've had to dial back my tension by 1-2 lbs for winter as I was breaking my ZM62 every week during the coldest season.

3. Monster

Monster Regular Member

I hope there will be some stringers - so far the players I have contacted told me they bring their spare rackets.

Breaking every week sucks. When you lower your tension by 1-2 lbs, does it prolong the life much to how it normally would be?

4. visor

visor Regular Member

yeah, it helps with the mishits not breaking the string... makes a huge difference

and now that temp is starting to warm up here, i'm back at my usual tension

5. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

When i was staying in Beijing for a year, during winter season (0 ~ -10 Celcius), i'd either switch the string to thicker ones or reduce the tension by 2Lbs. I was always using BG66 variants (any of BG66 or BG66UM or BG66M) with tension 28x28lbs. Except for winter, i used BG80 or NBG variants (NBG98 or NBG96) to remain in 28lbs. Otherwise, would have 26lbs for BG66. played 3x a week for 2 hours per session. And this still last me only for about 2-3 weeks top/string. Hence, i stuck up 9 rackets on my bag because i really didn't wanna go out anywhere further than 2km during winter!

6. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Very valuable experience, guys. Looks like I need to stock up a few more rackets in my bag.

Because I will be in that location for a year +/- before I return home for vacation, what is your experience with tension drop in cold climate?

7. visor

visor Regular Member

tension drop would be no difference i'd think...

but i can't imagine playing with a racket that's been strung 1 yr ago...

8. wongmb

wongmb Regular Member

If u leave ur rackets outside for a period of time and the strings r cold to the touch, make sure they r warm first before playing.

9. say10

say10 New Member

Hi, I live in Hokkaido and unless you are living way way out East there will definitely be a place to get your racket strung close by. In Japan most sports shops offer a stringing service. Look at this way if you are going to be playing badminton you are going to have to have some opponents and they need to get their rackets strung too. Cost is about 2000yen string included.I have never given much attention to the cold and leave my racket bag in my car overnight. I tend to break a string once every 1-2 months? I string at 26 lbs and I play everyday although mostly as coach as I am a teacher. Anywhere from 2-6 hours a day.