Need racket recommendation. Changing from BS11

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by ryozoemiko, Apr 6, 2014.

1. ryozoemiko

ryozoemiko Regular Member

Pharmacist
    I have been using Victor BS11 for 2-3 years for now. I love the speed of this all-rounder racket. However, unfortunately I injured my arm / point near shoulder. I will have pain if I played too much or smashed too much. My friend have advised me to switch to a lighter and more flex racket to reduce the impact on my shoulder/arm.

Any recommendation on good less stiff rackets to switch to?

Thanks in advance!

2. visor

visor Regular Member

bs11 is already quite flexy

perhaps head lighter and still flexy would be good, eg. bs12

3. chongkiatz

chongkiatz Regular Member

Bs12 is the best choice, light and flex

4. RH500

RH500 Regular Member

Analyst
    May i ask how did u get the injury? I had the bs 12, mx jjs n bs 11, my go to racket now is bs 11. I had some slight shoulder discomfort playing with bs 11 but im loving the smash and defence with this racket.

5. ryozoemiko

Pharmacist
    Great. Am interested in trying BS12 too. Anyone interested to trade with my new Bs11? Lol bought 3 new ones before I got my injury :(

RH500, I think I got my injury due to too much smashing. Over exert my shoulder because my wrist is not strong enough so I tend to use my arm strength to smash.

6. ryozoemiko

Pharmacist
    And yes. Bs11 is rapid in defence. Love it lol

7. ryozoemiko

Pharmacist
    Besides BS12, any others? Nanospeed?

8. atypical

atypical Regular Member

Systems Analyst
    I tried a 4U Nanoray 800 (@23 lbs) yesterday, pretty good. Not very stiff, slightly head light, easy to use. I reckon a 3U will make up for the 4U's slight lack of power.

9. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    hi there,

Other than searching for a suitable racket for your current physical condition now, it is also equally important for you to make sure that you've also taken all necessary approaches in making sure that your injured shoulder joint can get healed properly. Ensure also that during this phase, you improve your shoulder muscle strength and tone to better improve your swing strength.

The sheer satisfaction that comes from all your hits does not ultimately decided from what racket that you are using but it comes from being able to execute flawlessly and correctly all range of movement in your swings without any pain and this can only comes if you have a physically healthy and fit shoulder joint.

ss

10. RH500

RH500 Regular Member

Analyst
    Is there any specific exercise u would recommend?

11. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    BS11 is my go-to racquet and is up there with the best I've tried. I too have a shoulder injury for many years and what I find helps immensely is to make sure that I warm up properly before I start playing. And by warming up, I mean really warming up, so that my whole body is warm before I start stretches and getting on the court.

I find the BS11 doesn't cause me any more trouble than my other racquets, you may want to lower the tension, but in terms of stiffness, it's not too bad. Not sure if a lighter balance will help with your injury but if you like the BS11 and just want a lighter balance, try the BS10. If you want lighter balance and less stiffness, try the BS12.

However, remember victors seem to have slightly more vibration than yonex racquets, so if vibration dampening helps with your injury, you may want to consider a yonex instead. Good luck!

12. RH500

RH500 Regular Member

Analyst
    How did u warm up..? Care to share?

13. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Shoulder weight training with tolerable incremental of weight can improve muscle strength and tone done within certain period of time. The required time frame and specificity of such training can be answered from most physical trainer if you need further details.

14. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Nothing complex, just a simple jog. I jog around the hall for a little while with my training top and trousers on, until I get my heart rate going well and my body nice and warm. Then once I have properly warmed up, I start doing a few stretches, legs, arm, shoulder, neck, groin etc... then I go on court to do a few gentle footwork drills. This is normally enough, but as I have a shoulder problem, I tend to start with a few baseline clears with a friend to ensure my shoulder is 100% warmed up before I do anything else. And I always play (at least) my first game with my training top on... and always put it back on when I'm off court.

I have been lazy and a bit ignorant over the years but as I get older, I realise that this is increasingly important. Warming up is something I've heard so many people say so much that I got a bit ignorant and only did the minimum, often using my first game as a warm up in the past... until I got my shoulder injury...

Having tried almost all types of treatment from chinese accupuncture to physiotherapy, there is nothing more effective than a PROPER PROPER warm up. Ever since I started warming up properly, my shoulder problems have reduced immeasurably and I can now play to about 90% of how I played before, from not being able to play at all for almost 7 years!

15. RH500

RH500 Regular Member

Analyst
    Thanks for the advice, appreciate that..

16. ryozoemiko

Pharmacist
    Thanks for all for the advices.
    I did warm up before all my games, but i think is an old injury so if I play more than 3 games with lotsa smashing, my shoulder will tend to have little weakness and ill have problem twisting my arm (eg, scratching my back). I went for acupuncture and also chiropractic advices and even rested for 4 months already. Shoulder injury improved but seems to be coming back once in a while.

I have reduced my string tension from 27lbs to 25lbs. I want to try lighter yonex and also bs12 to see if my condition will improve :)

17. wongmb

wongmb Regular Member

A few good weeks of rest may be a much better "medicine" and give u long lasting relief than a lighter racket.

18. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    bravesword160n if you must change racket, but i agree with what the previous poster said about a more effective way to solve the problem as in seeing a doctor of a physical therapist plus resting time :p