Backache...

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by cappy75, Mar 6, 2004.

1. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Hey there,

I have read many threads about shoulder/wrist/leg/ankle pain. I was just wondering if anybody has experienced some form of chronic back pain from baddy. When I started playing regularly four years ago, I didn't have backache like the one I got right now. After playing two straight days of intense games, a gradually mild chronic pain turned sharp acute one:(

I was feeling fine after the "Fun Night" tourny and went to play the next day at the self-delusory promise of repeating my past performance:D. Intense playing and near constant smashs in two hours produced one of the most excruciating pain in my lower back:(. At the end of it, I could hardly stand up and walk after sitting down on the bench.

The origin of this back problem has many suspects: improper footwork, a kneeling typing chair (I bought it to correct my sitting posture), my previous sedentary lifestyle, previous improper workout regime, aging.

Any suggestion to reduce or even outright cure this accursed scourge? Any specific exercise/activity I could do to strength my back? Any tips on footwork that could alleviate the chronic pain? Thanks!

2. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    Hey Cappy! You know it could be you need to strenghthen your mid-section, so that includes the back muscles, the abs, and obliques. Unless you are arching back in an overly exagerated way, I don't see footwork changes giving immediate or near term relief to your back pains. I do suggest doing more mid section exercises. I can hook you up with a CD that you can try the next time I see you at Collingwood. It's the one that I use and it was quite good. There's one for just starting out, and others for as you progress and have better ab and back strength.

3. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Hey 604badder,

That'll be great! I have worked on my mid-section regularly when I used to work out years ago. Now that I have moved out here, I couldn't find an affordable gym that's near my home. Also, I might not want to discount poor form yet. Perhaps I can get someone to look at my playing form and point out my mistakes. Thanks!

4. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

I don't see how badminton can lead to serious back injuries. Perhaps it was caused elsewhere, and further agitated by the intense game play?

Pain is an imperfect indicator of injury.

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Well, it was definitely agitated by intense play. Don't know why... but for the past two years, I have had mild chronic pain in the lower back. Felt it everytime I get up suddenly. I thought it was just because of ergonomics, so I went out and bought kneeling chair that's suppose to correct my sitting posture, but it did little help:(. Last night, the pain was so intense after the games that I had to hold my breath and flex my mid-section to stand up or sit down slowly:(.

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Try not to suddenly increase your level of exercise. It's frustrating sometimes, but to exercise safely you must improve your fitness slowly. If you are not used to that intensity of play, your body may not be able to cope with it 2 days in a row.

BRL is right that pain is an imperfect indicator of injury. Sometimes very painful injuries can be mild, and painless ones can be life-threatening. However, pain is always an indication that something is wrong. It is highly unwise to continue exercising when you experience anything but the mildest of pain. See a doctor before you continue playing.

7. badmad

badmad Regular Member

I had this backpain a year ago but during that time, I wasn't intensely involved with badminton. It was because of my sitting posture. and at last, I'd to visit a physiotherapist. After 1 and 1/2 months of treatment, it was alright. And now I constantly play baddy but don't have any sort of pain.
    While playing baddy, if the shuttle is in your deep backhand court and you try to clear it with forehand, then sometimes you have to vigorously stretch at your back, and it may be some source of backache. I suggest you visit a physiotherapist since backache is a quite nasty one. If it persists, it will affect your badminton.. ;)

8. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

have you tried slouching? I've found it to be more comfortable than sitting up straight. :eek:

9. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Er... I think that could be one of the original sources of pain. I slouched all the time before I took up baddy seriously. Come to think of it, I was overweight (230lbs) before baddy and I felt soreness on the lower back occasionally. Now that I lost a bit (190lbs),the chronic pain has worsen noticeably.

10. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Actually I was trying to maintain the pace of my routine... not increase it. I used to go to gym in addition to baddy, and at one point even swam for awhile, but less rec time restricted my physical activities to baddy these days:(. In fact, I had cut down my playtime significantly since my move from Edmonton this year. Before, I was averaging 4-5 nights out of the week, now I have slowed down slightly to 2-3 nights a week. Naturally wanted to play more, but it wasn't economically feasible to maintain the old pace. Pacing of my games vary, but not by much since I always play aggressively.

11. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Badmad,

Could you elaborate more about your treatment? Physiotherapy is very pricy, but I might go to the doctor for checkup and get a referral for it. With regards to receiving shots to my backhand, I use backhand shot almost as frequent as over the shoulder shot when it happen.

12. badmad

badmad Regular Member

what therapist did to me was massaging my back and a mild electrocution (don't remember it's medical name :confused: )... while massaging, he used some sort of gel. I suppose it wasn't very effective. But after electrocution, I felt a lot of relief... after every treatment, how much relief you feel varies from person to person. Pain gradually decreased for me but for some people, it increases for few days and then decreases.
    everyday it took approx 20-25 mins for treatment. In addition to all this, he warned me of slouching and told me sit straight conciously.

when I went to therapist

13. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    Oh dear - i would say that backpain is quite common among badminton players, in the UK Kelly Morgan of Wales, Paul Trueman and Matt Shuker are all victims of back problems - in Paul and Matt it has resulted in them not playing singles for some time.

It is right that the pain caused is usually from aggravating something else caused elsewhere. Mid section and trunk exercises will help, but form is very important as the cause of most back pain is bad posture - i visited the physio and only did a few sessions as she said my problem was that i had had bad posture for many years and that correcting it and doing the correct exercises often would correct it - but it would take just as long to reverse the effects.

On a lighter note it has improved dramatically so that i can play club nights without painkillers - and matches with painkillers. however it is impossible for me to touch my toes in the normal way - i have to do each leg separately due to the pressure on the sciatic nerve as a result of my posture..

Hope this helps

PS - being tall increases your chances of backpain - make sure your doing midsection exercises to reduce your chances - and keep and eye on your posture... chest out, gut in, butt in, shoulders back - just about covers it i think

Neil

14. xofrevlis

xofrevlis Regular Member

Student
    I have lower back pains nowadays too, but they only occur the day after my badminton sessions. This wasn't always the case but I can remember exactly how it came about. I was playing 5 a side football (that's soccer to our American friends) and I had just received a pass from a team mate. Then someone on the other side just barged right into me from behind with such force that I was sent into the side fence. I remember it being okay at the time, but the next day I felt some major discomfort on my lower back for the first time. That was about five months ago and it was just the start of a regular thing which happened the day following my regular badminton sessions.
    I'd go to my GP to have it checked on if I wasn't so lazy, but if anyone has experienced, know someone who has experienced or could provide any other information relating my case, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers.

15. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Ah, glad to know that I am not alone. My lower back still aches after today's club session but nothing that could knock me out, so it's all good. I am leaning towards mid-section and back strength training as solution. I was also advised to stretch my back after a few games while I am still warm from playing, did a little of that and notice some improvement on my mobility afterwards.

16. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

BFers are no substitute for a doctor! Go see one now, you great silly twonk
    ;)

17. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

When I was overweight (or more overweight than I currently am) I would regularly get an aching in the lower back. Since I lost weight, I very rarely get back ache.
    I do move faster now though.

Could it be that since you've lost weight you are moving differently. Twisting or stretching to an extent that you never did before because of the weight ?

18. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

Hey Cappy75,

I am reading this thread only after today's session at Collingwood, so I'm not too sure if this is the cause for your back pain.

During one of the games against you, I noticed you did a smash that fooled my partner! It was a deep clear that caused you to lean back, in essence you were smashing while doing the limbo. You were hitting a straight forehand as suppose to leaning to hit around-the-head or cross-court. There were a few more shots like that but I did not take note of the frequency nor how far you were leaning back.

If you don't have an opportunity for a spotter, remind me next Sunday and I will observe. Too bad, I don't have a digital camcorder.

#18 Break-My-String, Mar 8, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2004
  19. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Geez! You're the second guy to point that out to me:eek:. The first guy was a really good older player in Edmonton who told me not to do that:D. Yeah, it's a really bad habit of mine held over from time before I got proper guidance. Guess it lingered on... I think I only do that when I get tired and probably flat-footed the rest of the game though, when the birdie went alittle past but not far enough that I couldn't smash it. Yeah, definitely slacky footwork:D.

BMS, it'll be great if you could spot for me next week. Thanks!

#19 cappy75, Mar 8, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2004
  20. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Oh, definitely... my game has been alot more intense with apparent mobility over the last two years. Due to my weight-loss, I have been able to get at shots that I couldn't possible get before.