Zhao Jianhua

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Loh, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Just heard from a friend that Zhao Jianhua has returned to his wife's province, Jiangxi (?), where he can be with his family and the mother-in-law. The cost of living there is much lower than in Singapore.

Apparently, Zhao has a tie-up with shuttle suppliers, Vickers, to coach there. I hope Zhao will be successful and happy in Jiangxi.

2. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

Jiangsi, Kongxai, etc isn' that his ancestral home ?

Is that area next to Guangdong?

His wife is Wu Wen Kai's sister (strange term in China, how come they have more

than 2) who already has an academy in South China since 90s.

3. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

Awful geography.

Read in Star today on JiangXi tourism.

Jianxi province is actually at mouth of river Yangtse and is famous for its tourism

attractions. Capital is Nanjing or Nanking.Another famous area is Suzhou, made

famous by Zhou Xuan's song Suzhou Nights.Seems these areas are near Shanghai.

Same province where Sun Jun grew up.

4. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Re: -

I think you are talking about Jiangsu Province. Jiangxi Province, sandwiched between Hunan & Fujian, is just north of Guangdong Province.

#4 Pete LSD, Mar 15, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2004
  5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I must confess I know next to nothing about the geography of China. It was more than 20 years ago when I last visited the mainland as a tourist when China was just opening up to the world and when our government relaxed the rules to allow special groups, like those above a certain age, to travel there.

Back then, China was still underdeveloped and most adults were still wearing the blue Mao uniforms. Main mode of transportation was the bicycle and there were very few motor vehicles on the roads. There was hardly any other colour except for the very young children who were allowed to wear colourful clothings. Two categories of currencies were available, one for the tourists and the other for the locals and locals were not allowed to patronize the shops meant for tourists.

From Guandong in the south to Beijing up north by train, a long tiresome journey indeed. In between, we dropped by to visit the cottage industries of the beautiful lake districts of Suzhou, Wuxi, Hangzhou and made short trips to Nanjing and Shanghai. But we remained for much longer periods in Beijing, where we soaked in the political culture as represented by the many museums and paid tribute to the preserved body of China's hero, Mao Tze-tung.

How China has changed all these years! But I have not visited the Middle Kingdom since then and merely relied more on reports, documentaries and the TV for updates. Yes I have gone back to Hong Kong a few times, but HK was so different because of British influence. Another visit, maybe to witness the Beijing Olympics, at least to watch badminton, would be fulfilling indeed!

BTW, Zhao's sponsors is Victor not Vickers, which was incorrectly named in my previous post.