Tan Boon Heong / Ow Yao Han

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by M3Series, Apr 14, 2014.

1. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

After watched their latest game at Sgpore Open 2014, I can see this pair might be viable to be number 1 pair in Malaysia.

The discipline is there but the focus is a little but off. To be up against Cai Yun n Lu Kai, I can say this pair will be the next hot topic in Malaysia news. I hope so. :p

2. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Hot topic for winning tournaments = a good thing.
    Hot topic for all the bad reasons = not a good thing :p

3. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    ow yao han has good front court coverage but lack the confidence of koo kien kiat... or, should i say 0verconfidence ?

anyway, i dont see tan boon heong smashes as hard and as often as he use to do when he just came out as a junior at 19... injury or lack of fitness ?

4. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

You are up against Cai Yun. How confident can you be ? :rolleyes:. But I'll give him credit for setting up for TBH and tried pressure the opponent as much as he can compare to KKK. TBH looks more confident with OYH, why, because if I were him I wouldn't worry so much letting Yao Han taking care the backcourt.

From what I gather, TBH's smashes started slow down since 2011/2012. But what still impress me is that his smashes is still steep, fast and quite accurate at times. His smashes is really effective when he has a good partner at the frontcourt. I think it's due to fitness because if he really has an injury, 432 km/h won't be achieved even with feeding those shuttles. Or maybe it's just a marketing strategy. :p

I hope to see Boon Heong starts to take a serious changes in his midcourt area and especially his drives. It's an area where I could see he should improve a long time ago. If he don't, this pair is going nowhere.

5. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Ow Yao Han lifts his right leg awkwardly when he is backhand-defending against a smash :D

6. SibugiChai

YAB
    that's how he become wjc... 2 twice !

7. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

let's see if whether they are being selected to Thomas Cup team or not...

8. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Tan Boon Heong has already confirm to be in the team. Bam will now select between OYH and CPS but I think high possibility OYH would be selected though.

9. concretemad

concretemad Regular Member

engineer
    agree with this. This guy seems to have some funny movement on court. Well he is a national player, so he should be doing ok.

10. SibugiChai

YAB
    Mixing and matching partners for Boon HeongBY LIM TEIK HUATTan Boon Heong (left) and Goh V Shem during training this week. The doubles shuttlers are being prepared to pair up with anyone ahead of the Thomas Cup Finals.Tan Boon Heong (left) and Goh V Shem during training this week. The doubles shuttlers are being prepared to pair up with anyone ahead of the Thomas Cup Finals. EmailFacebook0PETALING JAYA: Tan Boon Heong, who was a top doubles shuttler in his heyday, has been left to soldier on at his fifth Thomas Cup Finals, after partner of seven years Koo Kien Keat quit the national team early this year.While Kien Keat has joined professional club Granular in Thailand, Boon Heong will be taking on the role of mentor with whoever he partners at the Thomas Cup in New Delhi from May 18-25.Boon Heong-Kien Keat’s seven-year relationship produced an Asian Games gold, a World Championships silver, and an All-England title.The other doubles players at the Thomas Cup are Hoon Thien How, Lim Khim Wah, Goh V Shem, Tan Wee Kiong and Chan Peng Soon, and Boon Heong could be paired up with any of them.He partnered Ow Yao Han for the Malaysian Open Grand Prix Gold, Indian Open and Singapore Open last month.However, Yao Han is not in the Thomas Cup squad and Boon Heong says he is willing to partner anyone, including Thien How, with whom he bagged the world junior title in 2004.”This is where the 10 days of centralised training comes in. The coaches have not informed us what the pairings will be so we have to be ready to partner anyone.”I have been paired with different players before.”I also have a role to play as the most experienced doubles player. The others have not had as much experience as me and Thien How.”We are encouraged to talk to each other in the evenings after training and they tell us there is no reason to fear our oppponents,” he said.Boon Heong enjoyed his most memorable moment at the 2010 Thomas Cup Finals in Kuala Lumpur when he partnered Kien Keat to beat Mathias Boe-Carsten Mogensen in the quarter-final tie against Denmark.Malaysia went on to reach the semi-finals but were tamed 0-3 by China.Kedah-born Boon Heong made his debut at the 2006 Finals in Tokyo as the third pair with Chew Choon Eng.At the 2008 Finals in Indonesia, he was the second ranked pair with Kien Keat but they were not impressive.This time around, Malaysia are in Group C with South Korea, Germany and India.Only the top two teams from the group will advance to the quarter-finals.World No. 1 Lee Chong Wei, Chong Wei Feng, Goh Soon Huat and captain Liew Daren complete the 10-member strong Thomas Cup squad.At the last Finals in Wuhan, China, in 2012, Malaysia lost 3-0 to the hosts in the quarter-finals.