What racket should I purchase?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by OllieStruthers, Apr 14, 2014.

1. OllieStruthers

OllieStruthers Regular Member

Hello, I'm trying to purchase a racket within the range of 50-80 pounds. I currently have a Carlton vapour extreme xcel which I dislike due to its heavy feel to it. I play at quite a decent standard (singles and doubles) and would preferably want a racket which has a good feel to it. Thank you

2. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Yonex tends to make rackets that feel heavier, so your best bet lies with brands such as carlton, victor and forza, all of which make plenty of rackets in that price range.
    You'll need to look at the weight/headweight stats; most rackets have this printed on either the cone or the shaft of the racket, so you can compare that to the racket you currently use.

When you look at rackets, definitely give it a swing, and if you're lucky enough to be able to try it out, do so.

3. OllieStruthers

OllieStruthers Regular Member

Thanks and also is there any specific rackets that you would recommend?

4. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

I have had generally good results with the FZ Forza Titanium line, which is a few years old now, but as a warning: some of them are on the heavy side, and most of them have >76 holes. A 88-hole racket is okay to string with 10m string but a 96-hole racket probably isn't. I must say that I prefer the N-Forze series. My FZ Forza Denmark No. 1 was better than my current Forza racket, and they are light with great feel AND look.

5. yingzaoqifen

yingzaoqifen New Member

A 88-hole racket is okay to string with 10m string but a 96-hole racket probably isn't.[​IMG]

6. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

and why's that? most (or all brands) of the string comes in a package of 10m (except the reel 200m). Therefore i assume not every recreational players should buy 96-hole racket.

7. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

The stringjob becomes very tedious with the standard length of string because preweaving becomes a more gradual process with less string. One can probably string a 96-hole racket with 10m of string but it's inconvenient because the 96 hole racket already has more holes, so it takes longer to string, and if it takes longer to preweave the cross strings, then it takes a whole lot more time, at least for me. I recommend 96-hole rackets! Their apparent tension is greater than the same tension on a different racket, and the strings seem to take longer to break, at least for me, but I feel like the only drawbacks I've heard of are: 1) it takes longer to string, and 2) the sweet spot is smaller (this might be a rumor).

8. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Check out Apacs. Lots of reviews and good value for money.

9. delo3

delo3 New Member

player
    Hey, I'm considering getting VAPOUR EXTREME XCEL ... what do you mean by "heavy feel"? It's listed @84g ... Any other experiences to share about this racket?