Elliptical trainers

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by freeheeler, Mar 8, 2004.

1. freeheeler

freeheeler Regular Member

store manager
    Does anyone here use an elliptical trainer in their home? If so which one or does anyone have any recommendations as to which one to use. ince I suffered a back injury 7 weeks ago my therapist told me to stop on hard surfaces. So I decided to purchase an eliptical trainer but every time I look up reviews on the blasted things someone always rights them off as being either too light, too heavy, too big, too small, too noisey etc etc..

Any info would be appreciated

2. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I do. It was originally purchased for my gf, but I use it the more than her.
    The make is HealthRider. Dunno if you'd get them in US.
    We spent ages looking at all sorts of different ones, and they all seemed either too expensive or too flimsy. Then we dropped on this one in a sports shop. It seemed robust and sturdy, and the price was OK. I think we've had it about 3 years now and had no trouble with it. Heavy is good unless you want to move it a lot. It's not too noisy. Watching TV is OK whilst using it. It's less noisy than my rowing machine which is an air resistance type.

It looks a lot like the C865e on www.healthrider.com but being older, mine hasn't got all those features
    link

If you've only used industrial ellipticals in a gym, I would recommend you go out to the sports shops and actually try out the home versions. In the UK, the HealthRider was the closest we found to a gym elliptical without spending thousands.

After a while on it, I tend to get some backache though. I assume I am leaning forward a bit, but I put my feet as far forward as the machine allows. Something to watch out for on all ellipticals probably. Have someone else check your posture when you try them out.

good luck,
    Neil

3. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction

Like in the simpsons where Homer gets marge a bowling ball for her birthday?!

I have tried these at the gym, they dont do anything for me, and the movements seem unatural. It wasnt a cheap one either, was made by technogym.

4. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

commercial grade ellipticals are much better but much more expensive than consumer grade ones. Some reviewers unfairly compare the consumer elliptical with what they use at the gym. If something costs ten times more, of course it's going to be better. Always keep in mind what they're comparing against.