yonex cab 8200 light and stringing...

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Russ7, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Russ7

Russ7 Regular Member

Hey,

I bought a yonex cab 8200 and it's pretty light, alot lighter than my ancient cab 3. Today were the final tryouts and I brough both racquets just in case... (I had never used the racquet before). Right now I have the default strings and even though they are alot tighter than the ones on my cab 3, I still can't clear with it. It seems I can clear farther with my old cab 3(which strings are really loose by the way). I dont' know if the default strings aren't very good or what the deal is(I heard they weren't very good). What kind of strings should I get? My clear is horrible.. My net game and drops are good. Smash is ok... Not the fastest but I place it well. And I'm not a weak guy, I am a bodybuilder, so it isn't my strength.

Thanks.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    strength is really overrated in badminton. too much extra strength in your muscles actually don't help you much. on the contrary, the extra weight actually slow you down. i have seen many 12 yrs old girls with a thundering clear, and i cannot see any bulky muscles in them.

the key is actually power. you need to release force in a *fast* manner. the way to do that is to relax and "whip" the racket instead of trying to use strength to force it to move. the more strength you try to exert, the slower it will be. the more relax you are and use the natural smooth motion of your limbs and joints, you more power.

counter-intuitive, but that's the way it is...

remember, relax, speed, not brute-force.

good luck.

3. Russ7

Russ7 Regular Member

Thanks, I have to practice that. When you clear, do you pull it back in kind of a circle or just raise it? ( I kind of raise it up and a little back and then hit it). Oh yeah and how about the strings?

4. Traum

Traum Regular Member

As far as strings are concerned, pretty much anything strung at a proper tension is gonna give better results than your stock factory strings. As long as you stay away from ultra thin gauge strings (as a general rule of thumb, don't go beyond 0.68mm), your strings should be able to last you quite a while.

Given your Yonex Carb 8200, a decent tension to start with might be something like 18 to 20lbs. If you want a string job that is done properly, I'd advise you to seek out a racquet sports specialty store to get your racquet restrung. My experiences with chain stores have not been pleasant at all.

-Rick

5. syslakm

syslakm Regular Member

Hey Rick

I've been using the Cab 8200 for about 8 months and I can sympathize with your stiuation. When I first had it, it took me a long time to be able to clear court to court.
    With the 8200, you're gonna need excellent technique and generate lots of power (ie. snapping the wrist).

Along with Kwun's suggestions, I'd also recommend rotating your hips to help you generate power, at least initially, until you're used to the racquet. As for strings, I've strung mine wigh BG-65 at 20 lbs, and it's good enough to the job.

In the mean time, just keep practicing and playing with it and you'll find with it's ultra-light weight, you'll be able to swing faster with less effort..

Good luck!

6. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Hey syslakm, you really mean Russ, don't you? ;)

Since you brought up the subject of rotating hips, I thought I might also add that the overhead clear really starts at the hip. As you rotate your hips, the twisting momentum should carry through your waist (meaning you'll also be rotating your waist), then your shoulders, then through your arm and finally your wrist. It is really a series of fluid and continuous motion.

-Rick

7. TheGr8One

TheGr8One Regular Member

University Student (CS)
    If the strings are way too loose, you should get it restrung. Generally string at 20-22 lbs provide better control than string at 16-18 lbs. This helps in shuttle placement, and slightly with power generation.

But string tension is irrelevant to the problem of not being able to clear. I used to be unable to clear consistently when I began badminton. I switched from a Cab 7 with factory strings to a Ti 7 with BG65 @ 20 lbs and it did not help. But eventually my technique improved, and now I can clear with the Cab 7 even though the strings are very loose.

It seems to me that beginners will find it easier to generate power with "head heavier" rackets. The tippyness will aid in providing power, but once again, technique is the main issue.

8. Yipom

Yipom Regular Member

Jus to let u know the Cab 8000 Series are SUPER Flexible, and SUPER light! but its best for more expericence players to use it, since it will take twice as much effort to do end to end Clears.

I had a Cab 8100 Light b4, and @ first it produce almost NO power at all on Clears, i was able to get pretty decend Smash and Great Drop shots, but Clears would really Kick my a$$. By the time i got a better form, and i have more power, I Broke....the Frame Died on me during the warming of a game, when i was Clearing with the Oppenets with alll my Might, and then BAM! it died!
    CUZ they're super Flex and Light, they're Really Fragile. But nevertheless i still want another one of these ^^
    Mayb i should go seek one one day. But they Over Price it here TOO much in the Lower mainland =(

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    When u just switch to another racket, the timing might be a little bit messed up. It takes some time to get used to the new "feeling" and develop the timing again. Time various depend on different individual, from minutes to weeks.

10. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

you definetly do not need big muscles to smash and clear, and I've seen great smashes from tiny skinny guys and girls. But of the fastest and hardest smashes I've seen, they've all come from tall guys with large shoulders and triceps.

11. motoss

motoss Regular Member

I own the 8100lt and it comes factory 14-16 tension. I experienced the exact same problem when I first played with the racquet although in all fairness was a beginner. Since then(about 1 year later ) I put on a new grip improved my technique and have no real complaints now. It's defiantly not the easiest racquet to clear from the back court and not the most powerful, but it's quick and pretty accurate IMO. I was thinking about upgrading to the Cab 20.. Any thoughts on my idea? ps I live in Toronto:eek:

#11 motoss, Mar 10, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2004
  12. other

other Regular Member

Student
    cab 20 should be a good choice. i play with a 2u version. it is actually kinda heavy thinking about it, but it is good for strength and technique (ie. no strength and lots of technique, still doesn't go very far with heavy racquet, reverse is true too, so makes u improve both). maybe you should go for the 3u versions...will take less time to adjust to from the 8100lt. also, its probably just my poor technique, but the 2u racquet isn't particularly more powerful than a 3u one in my case...although cab20 2u is pretty close to 90/91g.
    not sure what cab20 avaliability is like in Toronto...but i think there are lots of torononians?(hehe) here that can help you. mmmm...seem to be hijacking this thread...maybe start another one and leave this on original topic?