fixate the string

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Waft of Soul, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Waft of Soul

Waft of Soul New Member

Hi,

my first posting and probably a stupid question:

When I buy a new racket, the string is coated with some kind of lac or glaze. This is on the first view just for the logo. But it has the side-effect that the string do not "slide" or move that easy when I hit the ball not exactly straight.

Thats fine until I restring the racket. Now the BG 68ti is plain, no coat on it, and with 22lb the string is moving very often. It's not a big deal to correct that by hand but I asked myself if there is a solution with a thin layer of solvent-free clear-lac or something like that.

Anyone here has experience with that?

Thanks for any advice

Frank

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    The 68ti is coated with ti. The coating is slippery that's why the strings move around easily.

3. other

other Regular Member

Student
    i think the bg68ti is coated wth titanium, which also somehow makes the strings "slipperly", so that they may be more likely to slide over each other when hit. i'm not entirely sure. I would also expect that the strings you got with the racquet were not titanium coated, and so didn't slide around as much?

4. other

other Regular Member

Student
    but why is it good then, if it is slippery?

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

My opinion: the TI strings are a rubbish marketing gimmick. People see "TI" and think, "ooh, titanium, that's like super high-tech. Cool."

Nassssty, ssslippery ssstrings. We hatesss them ;)

6. other

other Regular Member

Student
    hehe...that's why i'm going back to bg 65 and trying out bg86. gollum...do you know where we can get strings in the UK apart from the yonex pushed ones (65ti and 69ti)?

7. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

when strings move against each other there is friction. This causes wear. The idea is that slippery strings will not fray as much from the friction as non-slippery strings.
    I find the Ti strings OK for plastic shuttles.

8. Waft of Soul

Waft of Soul New Member

Thanks for all your answers :)

Well, the racket came with BG 68ti and the Yonex logo on the strings. There were no significant slippery until I changed the string.

I understand that the ti-strings maybe a bit more slippy than others but I like them for there performance. If I could I would test the BG 88 but I couldn't find any salespoint within Europe or the US who will send them to Germany. I don't speek Japanese/Chinese so I can't read the other shops at all.

The BG 65 is fine aswell but for some reason it won't persist that long on my racket. Must be my awful style ;)

9. other

other Regular Member

Student
    i get the durability point, but doesn't that wreck the control...well...for me at least. also why is there more repulsion with ti strings.....theoretically?

i guess the paint (logo paint) does make it less slippery.

10. Waft of Soul

Waft of Soul New Member

And that is exactly my point. So shouldn't it be possible to "paint" it after string the racket? Maybe it's also possible to bring more grip to the strings with the right paint, just for curiosity :cool:

Well, maybe I'll try it out with some transparent lac next time. 9$ for a string is not that expensive for a test.

11. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Well, you don't often have a choice in the UK about what stringing the racket comes with. But most UK shops should sell BG65 for restrings and I know some sell BG80. I have yet to see BG85 in the UK.

I'm going back to BG65 after trying BG85 (I got it from a Hong-Kong friend). BG85 was a nice string too, but to be honest I couldn't judge between them, so I'll just use the more durable one (65).

12. mlvezina

mlvezina Regular Member

If you are using Internet Explorer, do a search for "Altavista+Babelfish+toolbar". It's a free tool that you can add to IE that translates those sites for you. Well, at least enough to give you a sense of its contents...if not a good laugh as well :p

Cheers,

Mike

13. mlvezina

mlvezina Regular Member

OTOH BG88ti has a rough texture so is likely far less slippery than BG68ti...

Cheers,

Mike

14. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    BG-85 is also very rough string. Fantastic control, with the ti strings I find the control difficult on netshots or slice shots, simply because, i thkn they have the coating so the shuttle doesnt "grip2 the string and go where you want, but "slips" so making the shots less accurate.

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Never used Ti string before. Experience from other users indicate it last about 10% longer.