Tricky China

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by tama-aki, Mar 9, 2004.

1. tama-aki

tama-aki Regular Member

Grad student
    http://badminton-indonesia.com/phpnuke/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=63

Showing strong representations on all numbers of badminton for the Olympics, China is gearing its players to get higher world rankings. China's players have withdrawn in tournaments citing 'mysterious' injury when it's time for them to play against their compatriots. This no longer appears as a normal situation since it occurs several times since the point rush started last year.

The Olympics is coming soon and badminton players around the world are in a point rush to secure a place in the games. Top ranked players are competing to get higher rankings so they can get better seedings in the draw. China shows a remarkable representation in two dummy lists of players through to the Games.

In both dummy lists that were released on 27 November 2003 and 9 January 2004, China leads the world by sending 13 representatives. All of their eligible players are from the top 16 world rankings. For men's singles, ladies' singles, and mixed doubles, China have three representatives each. While two representatives appear for men's and mixed doubles.

Putting their representatives in the Games is not a problem for China who has been world dominator for this sport. The main issue is how to get their players in the hot spot to secure the gold medal. Players must sit ideally in certain rankings to make sure the draw will spread their compatriots far away in the draw during early rounds.

Badminton power currently spreads rather equally in several countries. Despite China's domination, players around the world--especially big countries like Denmark, Indonesia, Malaysia and Korea--have always been China's biggest competitors. With new emerging powers in badminton like Thailand, Netherlands, England and several other nations in around the globe, it has never been a silky road for Chinese players to win in a tournament.

Yang Wei and Zhang Jiewen were reprimanded and fined by IBF Disciplinary Committee for "not using their best efforts" throughout their match. The match was on 1 August 2003 where they played against compatriot Gao Ling/Huang Sui in the quarter final. Lost in a tight match 11-15, Yang-Zhang encountered the trouble when the Committee raised concern over their easy lost in the second game of 3-15 to let their compatriot breeze through the semifinal.

In Swiss Open 2004 that has just ended, Chinese ladies double pairs seemed to be in competition to get injured. Wei Yili-Zhao Tinting withdrew at the quarter final when they were supposed to play against yang Wei-Zhang Jiewen. Not enough wasting spectators' money, it was Zhang-Yang's turn to withdraw at the final to get 'injured' and let Gao Ling/Huang Sui clinch the title without sweat.

Before the starting of Swiss Open 2004, Zhang/Yang is world's number one, Gao/Huang in third place and Wei/Zhao in fourth. Korea's Ra Kyung Min/Lee Hyo Jung intruded among the Chinese players to claim the second spot. Losing to Zhang/Yang will ensure Gao/Huang's position to be elevated to second position. Rather than being reprimanded and paying thousands of dollars, probably the best way to let your friends win is not to play against them.

Gao/Huang is now getting closer to taking over Ra/Lee's place who gained enough points to keep their place. The same thing applies to Zhang Jiewen/Yang Wei that will sit still on the top despite losing to their compatriot. One or two more tournaments will allow Gao/Huang and Zhang/Yang to sit close to each other.

Whether it is true or not that players suffer from injury, IBF should really conduct an investigation into such ploy. This has not only tormented the sport, but also the sportmanship and efforts of other players. And more importantly upsetting badminton fans who have thought the money they spent on tickets will promise them good show.

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    deception read.

u got my drift ;) It's almost impossible diagnosis neck, wrist and ankle 'injuries' accurately, hehehe

3. injuries are harder to dispute by official than throwing games on the mat

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Ok, let me make myself clear first, personally, I am a little bit sick and tired to read all the articles about "CHN strategy" etc. I agree some of the "mystery" might be invloved with "strategy" or "human" factors, but:

1. Why we only pick on the CHN, especially the WD? More of less, I have to say it involves some sort of "sore loser" feeling from other competitors or organizations. Why? Because they can't win, period. Why don't they pick on other players from other nations?

1.1 Ra: Many times, Ra took "easy" in WD, and focus on XD. As in Swiss Open, Ra got a blown out in WD against CHN, then, went on to win XD. Why no one bring up any questions on this?

1.2 Peter Gade: When he first came back, his condition was terrible. I forgot in which tourny, MS players from Den either lost to him easily or WO. Did anyone raise up any questions?

1.3 Harlim Brothers: Hafiz and Roslin put on a "show", and one went on to the next round. Even themselves and particular teammate said, well, let the one get better chances advances... Did IBF bann them or fine them?

1.4 How u determine how hard a player tried? I mean, if u ask me against Chen Hong, I can say I fight harder than Xia, and I can say I dive on every rally, but I don't think I can get 1 point, or hold on for more than 2 min. Using the result to say Yang/Zhang did not fight "hard enough" is stupid and ridiculous.

1.4.1. Martin, Mia both got 0:11 against Zhang Ning in WC. Mia got another 0:11 against Gong after 1st set of 11:13 in Swiss Open. By Yang/Zhang's case, IBF should bann them right away. But how come I did not see any actions? Just because they are not in CHN???

1.5 True winners should fully anticipate all hard fight, but not complain their opponents getting easier treatment in the previous round. Players like Martin, Susi are not new for fighting through the CHN mighty lady army to capture the title. They are more recongnized as the legend, the true winner, rather than whinners.

2. I have to say, for professional elites, every single one has some injuries, which bothers them every day and night. It's a matter whether they want to give up the current match or not. Most time, they choose to put on a fight. However, if they choose to give up, we will see fans putting on this and that "guess" against them, especially when they give up to a teammate / pair. To the fans, that's cheating. To them, they need a rest. Take the rest when the victory does not mean too much for themselves, or at least, to the whole team.

3. Use a doctor to diagnosis. To me, this is a joke. I know this coach, who's an ex CHN XD player. I told him about our concerns about using doctor notes for injuries. He laughed so much, and told me the following. If IBF really get an expert (for athletes, not for ordinary ppl), he should be able to excuse everyone from the tourny. Why? Everyone has serious injuries, which could be aggrevated in a desperated move. He claimed many players, including himself has serious injuries in the joints, which could be a serious problem in later life. He even claim some ex national players, had to spend rest of their lives on wheel chairs after they retired. I wonder how good an expert will dare to take such responsibility to take a risk and force elites to play, even if the elites claim s/he is not comfortable.

So, put all the whinning aside, let the skill do the talk. The gold medal belongs to the ones work the hardest, but NOT the ones crying the most.

#3 LazyBuddy, Mar 9, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2004
  4. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    (agree with LB)

If you dont have slight injuries as a professional athlete, you are not trying hard enough. As a professional, dedicated to your sport, you should plan to get to retirement age, then your body fall apart. Only that way can you say has someone tried as hard as they can.

Personally I think Xia could be accused of not trying hard enough at some point in every game. Take the jonassen game in wc, for long periods of the game he looked like he was messing around.

I think if you can allow players to walk through matches easy, then do it, it is in your teams best intrest.

you could argue that as the WD pairs are almost there in there qualifying then they should not need to enter the tournaments, but if they didnt enter, this may mena there opponents have easier qulifying, better make there opponents work and worry about qualification as much as possible.

|In WD it probably is just sour grapes as the top 4 are CHN, and a long way ahead of everyone (even ra/lee)-IMO

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. Kept whinning but could not provide any solid evidence (not just, I guess from the the final result... I think they should be better than 3:11....) or whinning about losing the match is not sportmship, either.

2. Effort from other players. If they train harder with better method, they can beat CHN. Ask Susi, Martin (when she's young), Kim/Ra, etc... CHN players are not naturally born as a group of legends.

3. Upsetting badminton fans? I know fans want every set to be deuce, see 5 hrs of hard fight, but that's not the case all the time. U paid $$$, does not mean u will see the "battle of the century" guaranteed.

3.1 If IBF wants to bann, bann Martin, Mia first. As my previous post, they both got 0:11 result in WC and/or Swiss Open. For former champions, don't tell me they are that much away from Zhang or Gong.

3.2 Same as in my previous post, result could not 100% accurate reflect the effort. Gong trashed some poor lady 11:0 in 8 min. What that to say? Bann the other player, she definitely did not even let the fans warm up their seats yet.

To me, $$$ means good show, or "give equal oppotunity" for all players is just whinners talk... I am not using this statement to against any particular individual, but just say, "welcome to the real world..."

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Poor CHN WD

After all the "stories", "guess", "fines", "accuse" etc, I find out there no way the CHN WD pairs could be "clean" or "good", why?

1. If they lose easily to others: they suck, they disappoint their fans

2. If they lose to their teammates:

2.1 If they lose "easily" (not even just 1 set or 2 points): TEAM strategy.

2.2 If they lose "hard": Well, u know, they got finned, they just acting...

3. If they win the title: Yeah, yeah, their teammates won before, it's their "turn" to boost up their ranking...

4. If they "WO": You see, even worse this time, we can't get our tickets worth...

Give me a break, what u want these 3, 4 pairs do??? Surely, after every SINGLE tourny, at least 50% will be the targets as the "cheating goat".

I GOT ENOUGH OF THIS!!!

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    LB, u had highlighted lot of valid points. Seriously, in real life, strategies are used both on and off court, be it in the sport of badminton or court of law. Personally i have no gripe about china (or any other country) shifting their own team around. It their prerogative in my opinion. What i've said before is that these things happen. If I'm rank #5 (a very gigantic big if :p ), all the whining in the world wouldn't get me to the #1 spot.

#7 cooler, Mar 9, 2004
  8. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Good points, LazyBuddy. I am also sick of reading this kind of China dirty tricks and strategies discussion. :eek:

9. tama-aki

tama-aki Regular Member

Grad student
    Great reply LB, I guess we are all maniacs of this forum :)

Are you from China? LOL :D
    The reason I put up the article in here is NOT because I hate chinese players, I have so many idols there--especially Gao Ling.

I mostly agree with Cooler that as much as many reasons are valid, sadly strategies are used both on and off courts. And I am sorry if no one has brought up the issue with non-Chinese players, let us start then to right the wrong. I think it's Chinese players' "privileges" for being in the limelight, because they're mostly world's best.

And you're right, LB, it hasn't been only the Chinese. We noted some others in the past too.

It's really ashamed that I couldn't see the real match of those teams that said they're injured. If you had the chance to see it, maybe you can share with us.

I don't know how IBF should do it, but it's surely a difficult task to verify an athlete's claim that he's injured. Broken bone may be x-rayed, but pull a muscle or strain sometimes not visible (or is it? correct me please if I am wrong, amateur here).

IBF's decision to fine Yang-Zhang was thoroughly discussed and took a while to study the game I think, because the decision to fine them came a few weeks after their press release.

I've seen Yang-Zhang plays and they are really good, can't match Ge Fei-Gu Jun but their spirit is sometimes something that Gao-Huang misses out. Yang-Zhang is similar to Ge Fei-Gu Jun because there's a combination of the calm and the fierce in the team, while Gao-Huang are both fierce :D

I have seen Martin played quite a lot, including her 0-16 record against Susi. Then when she just started, her anger ALWAYS took control of her matches. Nowadays, she's getting better with it but still sometimes it bursts out, I wouldn't be too surprised if she suddenly earns nothing in a set due to her anger, it happens A LOT. It will be fun if IBF probably have a penalty for "lack of anger management in court" :)

Mia? I've seen her playing since she was 16 and she normally would never let go. The only occasion when she let go when she still had personal problem with then-coach dad. Mia and Zhang Ning have a record of 6-5 in their encounters. I am surprised Mia can still win against Zhang Ning in Swiss Open while the last 3 encounters before that were totally one-man show by Zhang.

No, not because Mia wasn't trying too hard, you should see her bending her body and run all over the court. It's just now that Mia has become FAT and she's much shorter than Zhang or any other chinese players like Zhou Mi or Gong Ruina. Mia's wins against Zhang were mostly in the old days starting in 1997 when she was still, well, less fat. You should see how the Chinese players make her run around the court with her short legs. The only thing can save and make her be in her ranking now is her flexibility and the crazy overhead that nobody else can do.

And yes, it's tiring to run around the court. Also Mia had an injury lately where she withdrew from a tournament. Sonny beat Xia because Xia's energy was drawn in the morning too and couldn't cope with the youngster to play another 3-setter. Mia's lost to Gong in the final could probably be a result of tiredness after a tough game against Zhang the day before.

Again, don't take it too personally that it's about Chinese players, it's more highlighting on the issue strategy used. I think your reasons are more than valid, from a different perspective.

Cheers

#9 tama-aki, Mar 9, 2004
  10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Let's make this clear:

Either Huang/Gao or Yang/Zhang are good enough to be #1 or #2.

1. They might use team strategy, because they are good as a group (aslo if u think Wei/Zhao, Zhang/Zhang, etc also got involved). All these 4 pairs they are capable to trash anyone else and capture the title.

2. It's not team strategy to make them #1-#4, etc. Let's use an obvious example. Say me and my friends get a chance to play this tourny. No matter how good our "team strategy" got developped, or how tricky we could be, skill lvl as in us, will guarantee early exist, but NOT a WO in final.

3. They might gain a little bit advantage, if there's a strategy. But shouldn't we also feel sorry for them back then, when CHN players play no more than 8,9 tournies each yr, while European players easily attend more than a dozen? Is that fair for CHN players for their ranking back then? I did not hear they force IBF to change the ranking regardless it's favorable for them or not.

4. Say there's strategy. Isn't strategy part of the sport?

4.1 Why baminton/tennis/table tennis player try to drag their opponents off balance, and let them run, and try to say as much energy as possible? Is that cheating??? As they should be "man" enough to always over-run their opponents?

4.2 Talking about ticket worth. In NBA games, if a team is leading 30 points in first 3 quaters, last quater is always all rookie+bench garbage time. Should I claim 25% ticket refund, as I did not see my favorite all stars battle each other? In NHL, if a team leade 3+ goals for the last 5 min, both team will get enforcers to knock around on ice. Should I get my 10% ticket value back? In NFL, team with big lead will using running game or even timeout to burn the clock. Maybe I should ask for 50% ticket refund, while I am sitting outside to watch the time out, right? In boxing, there should be 12 rounds. If there's a KO in 2nd round, maybe I should get 90% of my $$$. Why? I even get my seat warmed up yet... Just way too many, I don't want to be ESPN as for now...

Please, as fans, we want exciting match. Maybe sometimes, we should also understand what the coaches and players are suffering from, to really show our support.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    tama-aki,

Yeah, I was from CHN. However, I don't think I am that narrow minded, as only cheer for the ppl have similar background. I like badminton as a sport, regardless who take the title. Do u know I just selected Wong CH to take the AE in the contest? hehehehehe...

I am not targeting u, but rather talking about the issues in general. I just say, it's very hard to determine the "effort". As in ur previous reply, u said Mia is good, fight hard, might got her 0:11 because of tireness. Why can't this also apply for Yang/Zhang's 3 points? At least, they got tons of fight in previous rounds, got a tight match in first set. Can't they feel tired or be on an off day? Never have to say, this pair receive a critical serve penalty call in 1st set, which might get some mental issues involved.

Excuse me kepting using myself as example, even though I am clearly nowhere near their lvl. In my club, I sometimes could upset very good players, but also could lose to players way below my lvl. Why? Relatively inconsistent, and stamina could be a key factor as well. If this happens to me, it might happen to everyone, as no one is a robot.

If I ever used any "strong" word, please don't take it personal. hehhehhhhe..... Maybe I should get some "anger control" training. :D

12. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    In the world Champs case 2003 I watch the game live, and I believe on e of them was struggling with injury, the other was trying to cover her partners inability to move. If i did have an injury, i wouldnt risk making it worse by trying a little bit, i would probably............retire.....giving the other team a walk over (like last week??)

13. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

The strategy being employed is to get Chinese pairs to the number 1 and 2 in the rankings.
    The object of this is to get their best pairs in opposite halves of the draw, so that they have the best possible chance of GOLD & SILVER.

If their 1 and 2 pairs end up in the same half, they will probably get gold and bronze.

Mia and Camilla's losses to love in the WC are irrelevent. The losses did not benefit their respective teammates (if any were even left in the tournament at that stage).

When China gives walkover to China, 1 of the Chinese pairs is guaranteed to benefit.
    I'm not saying other countries haven't done it.
    China is currently so dominant, it has the best ability to use these tactics.
    A small part of their dominance comes from their large population pool.

14. tama-aki

tama-aki Regular Member

Grad student
    Hahahh don't worry LB, the first thing I'd do will probably be the same if the article was about Indonesian players. :D

I don't take it personally, I like seeing different views. And yes I have to quit some games pretty much lately due to my back injury. I could force it, but that will be a stupid thing to do considering how worse it could get. Also almost thinking of giving up badminton forever, but I will be totally clueless if I do that--what else can I do in life without it.

My back problem is what my doctor called "hypermobility" (I thought this is a good thing!!!) plus the two curves in my spine (scoliosis). When he asked how I played badminton, I showed him some pics of Mia doing her actions. Then he said I shouldn't do that (He should tell that to Mia too).

A bit out of topic, I think IBF somehow misses out on Gao Ling. The ever-smiling girl amazed me on how she would grab two titles in a single tournament and got the energy to do that. Even with Ra/Kim's domination, only Gao Ling and her partner can actually match the unstoppable Korean pair.

Another OOT issue, if I'm not wrong Yang Wei was once paired with Huang Nanyang. Where did the other girl go?

15. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    I guess some of us here don't care much about the money people pay to watch the top CHN vs CHN? Strategy aside, as a fan, if I bought a ticket to see a game, I'd like to see both players or pairs play with determination and if possible, to slug it out, be it Russian vs Russian or Thailand vs Thailand.

But as a coach, it's different. They're performance are rated based on successes, not the number of players making it to which round and what tournament.

Team A : 20SF, 20F appearances out of 40, win 5 medals.

Team B : 15SF, 12F appearances out of 40, win 9 medals.

Team B is still considered more successful. A will be considered under achieving for making it so far, yet winning so little.

The saying is true in this context, "You finish first, you are the champion. You finish second, you're nobody".

16. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    The question isn't whether China use team orders to affect world rankings, olympic qual and titles but whether anything can be done about it.

Clearly in any major tournament given the competitiveness of all the matches any player receiving an effective bye against a compatriot recevies a massive boost in gaining a days rest while their opponent endures a tough match. When it is the semis or quarters of the WC this clearly affects the outcome.

If players withdraw citing injury to give teammates a higher seeding at olympics this just puts china in stronger position in that the koreans will have to face both either the chinese one or two pair in the semi , while the assumed two chinese pairs in the other semi fix their result. Clearly this gives the koreans no chance and is unfair.

I remember the 92 AE final when zhao gave the match to lui jun, clearly because zhao didn't need the ranking points. When the AE mens singles may be the only televised match in the year on british TV this was terrible for the game.

Chinese players admitted at the wc that they were throwing matches, it was blatant and now they have apparantly moved on feigning injury for similar effect. Chinese domination is bad for the sport.

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. When u look at a tourny, u can't just look at 1 round. Maybe round 4, A has easier task than B, but if u combine round 1 through round 4, u might see A has much tougher tasks than B.

2. There's no " 100% fairness" in sports. A true winner should fully anticipate all tough matches. S/he should be physically and mentally ready for 5 hrs fight every round, and every set to deuce. If s/he gain an easier taks, good. If not, focus on what u r doing, and DO it! Not Complain about others having easier schedule, etc.

3. I don't want to throw out all my non-CHN examples again. If that's the case, I will bring up Ra's case again. How many times she lost WD so easily, then dominate in XD??? Should I claim her 11 XD titles are FAKE? As she "did not give 100% in WD???" Give me a break, please.

4. Chinese domination is bad... Ok, they are not born to be good elites. Every baby has the each chance to be good in badminton. CHN has larger poll in population, and great program in badminton. That's how they are good. Other nations have the equal chance, look at DEN, KOR, MAS, IND, they don't have billions of ppl, but sure another great force. If they can do it, why not other nations? Instead of complain, maybe save the effort about do some real practice???

5. In 92, everyone thought defeat NBA is a dream for 50 yrs. However, just 10 yrs, more than 1 team beat them. They caught up, and greatly close up the gap in between. How? Because they did not just sit, cry and complain about "NBA domination is no good for the sports". Instead, they train harder, and play smarter.

How many times I have to say, "let's stop crying, whinning, but do some real work"???

18. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    I agree the other countries need to work harder to catch China, however the use of team tactics means it is even harder to break the monopoly. If Ra did take it easy in a doubles final because she had no chance of winning and still had to play mixed that in no way equates to a China pair giving another pair a walkover to save that pair the effort. In Ra's case the result of the tournament would be unaffected. Noone else would be disadvantaged by this. Even if I did believe that Ra took it easy if she didn't make a good effort she should be punished since again the ticket buying public would have been cheated.

At major events the ws and wd matches are often of no interest, why because its china v china and everyone knows the results are not legitimate. Same even in ms and with 5 ms in top 11 that leaves a lot of room for manipulation.

In the worst case a third pairs ranking could be boosted by allowing them to beat the top pair , thus qualifiying the third pair for olympics or world champs at the expense of a better pair from another country who may have only one chance in their career to qualify.

Finally its not fair on the Chinese team, one of the younger plays was forced to lose at the wc, he may easily never get another shot at the title.

19. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

As for withdrawing from an event citing injury, an easy thing for the IBF to do would be to say players withdrawing injured are not allowed to play in any more events for a number of days, let's say 30.
    If a person has a serious injury, they won't mind the time off as they will want to recover.

Even then, what do you do in the case of, say, a player picks up a minor injury in one round. Next round they decide to play through it. After game 1 they realise they've got no chance of winning due to the injury. Their choices then are:
    1. Continue to play full on, still lose, and risk making the injury worse.
    2. Stroll through game 2, losing quickly.
    3. Withdraw injured.

If the player would be punished for options 2 or 3, I don't think it's fair to expect them to risk greater injury by haaving to take option 1.

There may not be a fair way to resolve this issue while players play as country rather than as individuals. But badminton worldwide probably can't support a structure where players play as individuals (as tennis does).

I certainly haven't got all the answers.

In F1 you get team orders, and people complain that you don't get to see the best racing. But there you get the individual competition and the constructors competition. (Dunno if that's a useful comparison)

20. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Neil I think your analogy is useful but its more like this:

Ferrari (China) have the fastest cars to start with and get 5 cars at the front of the grid, every other team has only two cars. Ferrari then instruct drivers 2-5 to block / obstruct / crash into the other teams and make no attempt to overtake no.1 driver!!:D