Where has my smash gone?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by diverdan, Apr 24, 2014.

1. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Ive been playing for a while now and it feels like my smash is getting weaker from the base tramlines. Either that or my opponents defences have got better. Mid court smashes still have that familiar whollop but its when tge shuttle comes from a high clear that I can't seem to generate any speed. Why is this?

2. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    I should add our team was promoted last season. Is it psychological and the opponents defences are better thus making me feel like it is weaker?

3. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    That could be the case but I had this problem a few weeks ago I realized I wasn't contacting the shuttle high enough and flicking my wrist enough. Try smashing while rallying how does it feel?

4. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Just blame it on your racquet, strings, lights or something... it'll make you feel better! Lol :D

5. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    As much as I want to I need to sort it out. It normally happens when im standing under the shuttle waiting for it to come down at the back of the court. There is very little pace on the shuttle so I try to generate the pace.

6. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Don't TRY, just hit it cleanly. I think some smash drills will help you, see how much power you get when relaxing. Sounds like you are tilting. Good luck.

You're not trying to hit winners outright rather than just building pressure are you?

You've not increased string tension recently? Just some thoughts from my own experience.

7. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Not to all of the above. It used to be quicker, im sure of it. Could someone point me to some youtube clips for technique at back of court?

8. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I know what you mean. There are a couple of things that may help you.Firstly, are you hitting the shuttle square? This is extremely important as its one of the reasons why we pronate. A lot of players slice the shuttle unknowingly and lose a lot of power. Timing - are you striking the sweetspot well? Technique - do you incorporate your legs, trunk and shoulder into the motion? Relaxed muscles - are you relaxing your arm enough before striking the shuttle? Positioning - are you getting behind the shuttle well enough?When you are having to generate your own power it helps to prolong the contact point very slightly by altering your stroke so there is more of a forward motion than a circular swing - but only slightly, otherwise you will sacrifice angle.Finally, with smashing, know that good placement is probably more damaging than pace, providing you already have a reasonable smash. The reason why FHF and alike are such great smashers is not just the power but more to do with the placement. Returning hard smashes is not difficult, but returning a hard smash in an awkward position is.

9. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Why don't you post a video of your smash technique?

10. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    So did you find it? If so, what changed?

11. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Im still working on it. Ive tried to get more behind the shuttle so Im hitting it in front and going forwards. It seems to be working and im not smashing in awkward positions. I also think it seems to happen when I play people who have a good defence so ive tried to vary pace, angle and placement.

12. visor

visor Regular Member

Even if you smash with 110% power from baseline, you're not gonna produce a winner, especially against good players.

You just have to make them produce a poor return from your well placed smash (or drop) so that you or your partner in front can finish it off.

#12 visor, May 12, 2014
    Last edited: May 12, 2014
  13. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Hey just wondering, does contracting your abs when doing a smash helps? My coach said you get more power out of it.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    From your original post, it's probably the vertical fall of the shuttle. Shuttles that drop vertically from a high clear/high lift from the net are harder to smash.

Options are to jump smash (so you can strike the shuttle on a slightly less vertical trajectory) or you be more patient in constructing the rally waiting for a better opportunity to hit your full power smash. i

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    From your original post, it's probably the vertical fall of the shuttle. Shuttles that drop vertically from a high clear/high lift from the net are harder to smash.

Options are to jump smash (so you can strike the shuttle on a slightly less vertical trajectory) or you be more patient in constructing the rally waiting for a better opportunity to hit your full power smash. i

16. visor

visor Regular Member

Yes, but that has to be right near the beginning of the proximal to distal power transfer sequence.

That is:
    hips, abd or core, shoulder, upper arm, elbow, forearm, wrist, finger.

You should feel the power flow exactly in that sequence.

17. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Thanks visor :3, started banging a lot more smashes today, BG 80 is so loud (":, but almost ripped my arm off with a training racquet lol...

18. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    hi there,

r20190 has summarized much of the important facts that would help your question. The next step is to identify what is the specific obstacle that is giving you such problem and dedicate some time rectifying it through constant practice. I would like to highlight and share with you that how much that you want your smash to be powerful, there are other certain more valuable qualities in your smash that you must learn that can indeed improved the likelihood of producing a persistent chances of a powerful smash.

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...mproving-the-Quality-of-your-Smash?highlight=

Another thing that you can logically observe and adapt in your current smashing delivery is that you mentioned your mid court smash has still the wallop. Positively, you still have the technique and approach to produce such similar outcome from the back court with the difference is only in the length and height where the hit occurs. Do a smashing drill starting from the mid court from where you can the deliver your most satisfactory smash and then with the similar approach and advice given as above, feed yourself with more birdie in a slow and steady paste of backward movement until you reached the back court. Practice such drill with a good feeder and i think all will do well for you.

Your smash has never gone and it is still there. To unlock its potential is to know the correct approach in how to deliver it. Understand first what are the correct approach and technique, applied it so it can become a second nature for you and then you can deliver the quality of your smash as much as you want anywhere inside the court.

SS

19. dontmakeme

dontmakeme Regular Member

student
    If you are suspecting that you don't get much power from hitting a smash from high clear. You may want to see how you are hitting the cork. When a high clear is played and you do a regular ground smash you probably will be hitting the bird when it is fully dropping down rather than hitting the cork squarely.

20. Nova89

Nova89 Regular Member

Position yourself on the right angle to the shuttle with the right body posture,. I'm kind of confident that this should make sense to you.

I have the same feeling at one point of my gaming career when I felt like I exerted enough power at the right angle and with the - side toward net, racket parallel to body - posture but the opponent was still able to catch and return my smash repeatedly with relative ease, I feel bad since that particular opponent on that doubles match was beginner and way too inexperienced. I blamed my racket. I use wilson 600 - it's legit racket for beginners.

I'll tell you its not the racket. It's pretty much how you exert force on your hit. Too much power on the stroke dont produce good result, this happens when you are too eager to hit that shuttle. Try to swing lightly halfway on a smash, your racket arm relaxed as you swing, less energy yet swift, once you fully stretch and your racket is about to get in contact with that shuttle that's when you SUDDENLY TIGHTEN UP your abs and arm muscles- lock that thumb on the grip and deliver full power to send it down as steep as it can get, see how that goes.