Training a lot but not improving ;(

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by katy1997, Apr 24, 2014.

1. katy1997

katy1997 Regular Member

Recently I've been training like hell (the past 3 mounths) ,but I don't seem to be improving even a bit. My coach and my friends noticed it too and they told me. I'm training every day and I'm 16. I'm writing here to ask if anybody else has had this kind of a problem and what could I eventualy do to start improving. I don't expect some insight here, I know I have to deal with this and the problem is in me. I just got a bit depressed and I'm hoping someone could cheer me up here. :)

2. mageronix

mageronix New Member

Student
    Hi katy, are you talking about your technique or your actual match performances? A couple years ago I had a noticeable void in improvement even though I was still training. Eventually I had an epiphany while watching some badminton games and realized that I simply did not apply any pressure during a singles match (I would just hit it right to them or easy to reach places). After that, I started actively thinking during the match and applying movement pressure as much as possible. My game has only gotten better ever since. :) However if you're talking about technique then I'm at quite a loss. Perhaps focus more on the finer movements (ie: wrist/fingers)?

3. swunk

swunk Regular Member

what city are you from? ^__^

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Sometimes when training and playing a lot and we find ourselves plateauing and not going anywhere, we need to take a short "holiday" from badminton. Even 1-2 wks would help. Just to reset your expectations, your passion, your goals, your overall outlook.

5. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Eh I have this sometimes it depends, you need a lot of motivation to improve I'm 15 and I've posted videos on here to improve but they really suck aha but I'm ready to post another one soon. Anyways you should take a break from badminton for a bit and come back like what someone said aha forgot, I generally play on Tuesday, Sunday in total of 11 hours and I train on Friday for three hours with a coach.

6. sange

sange Regular Member

clerk
    as to training, i think you can choose the better plan that focuses your weak aspect.

7. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    The only way in which you can expect to improve is if your training is stretching you MENTALLY. You need to turn up to every training session and find it difficult - MENTALLY - to keep going.

You should be thinking about your technique. You should be moving faster and hitting harder and jumping higher. It should be tough to accomplish this, because you are giving it everything. This is the only thing that will help you improve - to push your limits during training!

From the sounds of your post, you expect results BECAUSE you are training. But improvement comes from training hard, not frequently!

Are all of your shots pinpoint accurate? If not, then you are not training them as effectively as you could be. You need to make sure that every single shot is on target. Its the only way you will improve those shots (it will take MONTHS to achieve this properly).

Is your base as wide as it could be? If not, then you are not trying hard enough physically - you should be using a wider base.

Does your net shot have enough spin on it? If not, then you are not nearly accomplished enough with net shots - you need to go away and practice them.

The above are just examples of questions you can ask yourself to motivate yourself to train hard, and achieve lots!

Good luck!

arsh likes this.
  8. EvoCopter

EvoCopter Regular Member

Technical Manager
    I agree with the advise provided by MSeeley. In my younger days some 40 yrs ago, I dreaded the idea of practicing 1,000 lobs before a game because it drains you and you struggle in your game after and your night ruin. Months later, it becomes routine and you start to enjoy it. In fact later you look forward to it each time you step on to court! We progressively increase it to before every other game. We also realize that the thousands of lobbing instill self confidence (mental/physical) when we face a tough match. What is 3 sets of 45 pts (those days was 15 pts per set) versus 3,000! Today, I still do it but not all players, even some of the the young, would want to sighting that today's game is different. True........but practice and improvement from it remains unchanged.

9. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    "Recently I've been training like hell (the past 3 mounths) ,but I don't seem to be improving even a bit. "Would be helpful if you give more details on what you meant. Are you referring to winning matches? Consistency? Tactics? A particular skill/stroke? You may have been trying to improve too many things at once. Or you maybe comparing with someone who's also making progress (same or faster than you), if you're competing. Or you're not being mindful enough. Or mental...