Stringing an MP-88

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Darkph0enix187, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Darkph0enix187

Darkph0enix187 Regular Member

HS Student
    Hi, I need advice on how many lbs should i string my MP-88 with BG-65. I don't want my tension to be that high and i'm worrying about the durability of the racket. So i need your opinions on whats the best to string around.

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If u really worried about durability and don't want to risk warranty, stay with whatever the recommanded tension (the sticker on cone).

However, I think unless u bump the floor often or clash with others, I think increase that range by another 2, even 4 lb should be safe.

3. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Have we, as a group, agreed upon a middle tension point? 23lbs? 21lbs? Those settings should be safe enough.

4. TheGr8One

TheGr8One Regular Member

University Student (CS)
    MP 3U rackets are rated for 18-20. I recommend 19 or 20 if you are concerned with durability of the racket; if you clash and your racket is at a lower tension, you're a bit safer.

5. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    22x24lbs on 3U Mp-88 IMHO, I find Bg65 to lose tension fast anyway so if you're like me you should end up aroudn 21 Lbs after a few weeks.

6. TheGr8One

TheGr8One Regular Member

University Student (CS)
    I think that the ratings for tension specifies how much you should string it at, not how much tension is allowed after it loosens(if it loosens at all). IMHO, MP rackets keep tension very well because of the muscle power frame. Darkph0enix187 doesn't want tension to high. 18x20 would be fine for either 3U or 4U MP88, as it is the upper limit specified by Yonex.

To me a middle tension point is 20x22lbs, if the racket supports it in the specifications. I'll go string it higher only if I know that tension drops at least 2lb. In the case of my MP77, it hardly dropped. I would say the same for MP88, but of course, I don't own a MP88.

Lower guage string would probably be a better choice if more repulsion is required. For BG65 users, the durability is the issue, and stringing it at the rated tension is recommended. I also want to point out that even though my MP77 was strung at 20x22, the cross strings were cutting into the main strings after 2 months. So this could be a good reason to string at only 18x20.

7. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I personally recommend 19x21, but this is the after pounds, so you might want to string it to like 21x23, then it will drop to 19x21 after weeks.

8. |BLAI|

|BLAI| Regular Member

mine is @ 22 wif BG80
    but i find that it's starting 2 loose tension fast........so i think next time i string it i'll go for 23 wif Bg 68Ti

is it more stress for the racket if it's @ a higher tension wif a thinner string?

9. Darkph0enix187

Darkph0enix187 Regular Member

HS Student
    Oh yeah, the Mp-88 is 3U. I'm planning to string it @ 24. Is that a little too high if its strung 24x24? This is because the place I'm getting it strung only strings one way according to my friend.

10. c4r80n

c4r80n Regular Member

Student
    I string my (3ug3) mp88 with bg 68ti....22x23 lbs by a huge babolat....:p it should be fine as long as you dont go over 25 lbs. but also this depends on how well you keep and protect your racquet so it varries.

11. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    If you're not used to high tension, don't string too high from your accustomed setting. 1-2lbs jump should be sufficient enough to adapt if you're thinking of climbing the tension ladder. 24lbs is considered pretty high if strung by electronic machine.