footwork towards the net in men's doubles

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by fritzke13, Apr 27, 2014.

1. fritzke13

fritzke13 New Member

My problem: In double when a shot of our side was fired to the back of the court i tend to speculate for the net reply and storm forward.Sometimes a flat cross ball ends this, sometimes i can kill at the net, often my partner must cover my side at the back when the others flat clear.I think i do it because i'm not so good at the net, but because sometimes i can kill balls with this strategy i can make the other side lift more (more attacking game for us). With a fast partner it often works, but i think even then my partners get tired. Also this strategy is good cause i'm good in smash and the opponents tend to drop and smash more to my partners side since they're afraid of my net rush so that i can play more from the back when my partner is drawn to the net. My net play is not good.How could i change my style so that i don't have to play so much at net and control from the back.

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

If you don't want to play at the net then it's your partner that must be cooperative! Unless they move forward to the net, you cannot be at the back! Having said that, if you quit your speculative net rushes then you will be at the back for longer...

3. SleepyEyedBoyZ

SleepyEyedBoyZ Regular Member

Communication. Talk to your partner and ask for his opinion. Then think on how both of you can work it out.