Returning Serve

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by alien9113, Apr 27, 2014.

1. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

Two of my friends like to serve to near the back of the court and the shuttle always falls near the centre line in doubles games.

The serve is fairly high and fast, kind of like a flick drive serve.

I have a lot of trouble with this kind of service because my partner is behind me and sometimes I have to stop short to prevent hitting him/her. Other times I have to return a poor shot, such as a drop, which puts both my partner and me into trouble. This translates to a lot of points lost.

I have 2 questions:

1. How do I deal with this type of service?

I have adjusted my position so that I can drive it back, but sometimes it's just not possible, so I have to get to the back and hit.

My racket is also up, the whole head of the racket is above the net.

However, both adjustments are still not good enough and I will be forced to move behind to return it.

2. Will it be a fault if my partner moves away when he/she sees such a serve so that I will be able to return the serve with an ease of mind?

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Your partner can move as soon as you can - when the shuttle is hit by the server.

You need a good RTH (round the head) action to intercept this serve well (I'm assuming your issue is more with the deuce court...).

Also don't forget to do a small split step when receiving - this helps your speed to the rear of the service box!

3. visor

visor Regular Member

1. Tell your partner not to stand there!

2. Stand half to one step back when preparing to receive. And be ready to jump back for that flick serve.

4. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

Thanks amleto and visor. Definitely will tell that to my partner.

I will also do and practise the things said.