Badminton Statistics

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by jiayeoh, Apr 27, 2014.

1. jiayeoh

jiayeoh Regular Member

Student of Research
    Hi, i just register to this forum to ask a questioni am not a huge fan of Badminton but loves the game as i was born malaysia and badminton is like Football for the europeans and basketball to the americans. i love to watch badminton especially lee chong wei as he is my favourite men singles player and i love to explain and analyzed how players played the game not though medical and qualitative observation. As i also loved football and Basketball, i love it how third-party websites (whoscored, basketball-reference, 82games.com, etc...) or even the league itself like NBA and EPL provided advanced statistics. this comes to the question im going to ask, Do The BWF released advanced statistical analysis of each player style of play though numbers, mode of play and etc?.....as from what i saw though the net, there is nothing like that. even thought eh BWF has head to head comparison to player, It really tells nothing except for win and losses...i know badminton cant really be compared to Bball and football as the both of them are team sports, but i do have ideas of using quantitative data to subject if the player strength and weakness. i was wondering if they are website like those they collect and release players data??thanks and cheers

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Good topic. I am not aware of comprehensive statistics on games. Certainly, it would add to our analysis on the games and players. One difficulty is the sheer number of games and manpower.

Another technical difficulty is the expertise available to do the analysis. Who judges what is a forced error and an unforced error. (There was one post recently that said Simon Santoso forced a lot of unforced errors from Lee Chong Wei!).

The speed of the game makes intra game statistics very difficult. Let's take American football as an example. Plenty of breaks within the game for a couple of guys to look at a reply and collate the data - badminton gets a couple of minutes at the most!

3. jiayeoh

jiayeoh Regular Member

Student of Research
    yes i understand that...one of the main reason why the game dosent have the advance statsitics like fooball and Bball is due to the fact that the game is not as popular or huge compared to the sport i mention. actually, the speed of the game is not a problem, people can use high-speed camera to judge and it is not that hard......i was just wondering that if the sports get popular enough to do this kind of advanced statistics and shows it to the mass or even the players as a way to analyze the game though math. my guess is that if someone were to do this and sponsored by BWF and other companies , it would take at least 3 to 4 years, huge manpower and dollars invested to create a platform with certain compressive mode of stats to judge players like (number of smash/game, number of dropshot/game, points within each quadrants/game, consecutive points/game, saves/games and etc....i was just wondering do the BWF have a analytical department of rating players though statistical means, as i said, organized badminton is something new to me compared to football and Bball.

4. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Tournament software does some statistics. Smash winner, clear winner, net winner etc. But it is basic and not always used, in fact last few tournament hardly gets filled out. I believe hawkeye which has just been introduced, as well as making "line calls", can map and give data on lots of statistical values. So may just have to wait until they get that fully utilized.

5. jiayeoh

jiayeoh Regular Member

Student of Research
    so you are telling me that they is no website of compressive data analysis of the badminton game like who-scored (soccer) and basketball-reference ??

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Experienced coaches can spot weak areas of players but statistical data would be hard.

Let's say in a Super Series tournament, there are 4 courts of matches going on simultaneously from morning to evening.

For each match, you need to keep track of service faults, flick serves, service return errors, drive errors, clears out. smash winners, forced winners, unforced errors, failed net shots. (that;s just the initial few off the top of my head) then you collate the statistics and the next game starts.

i.e. the scope of the task is absolutely huge. Compare that with the money in European football or basketball and the observer only has to keep track of one game in the night...

Hence, I don't believe there is a comprehensive statistical data available.

I did do a simple one of how long matches last in a super series before. Mean duration with standard error of means.

7. jiayeoh

jiayeoh Regular Member

Student of Research
    yes, i consider that the problem due to the pace of the game but wouldn't it be wiser if the BWF recorded the matches and put in the trained statistical team to scope out the data one by one though slow-motion playback...the only problem is the money and the amount of time invested in this idea........my guess is that this idea will never advance as long that the sport badminton is not as famous enough....no offence..i love badminton but yeah...

8. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

"so you are telling me that they is no website of compressive data analysis of the badminton game like who-scored (soccer) and basketball-reference ??"Correct. There is none.

9. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Jaiyeoh, Hawkeye has now been implemented, although not used for this purpose yet they say they can use it map player position, shots used, player movement around the court surface, shuttle mapping. To get this up and running is in the near future I think, so you may see it advancing sooner than you think.

10. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

They use it in this way for tennis now.

11. jiayeoh

jiayeoh Regular Member

Student of Research
    that is awesome, when is hawkeye implantated ?

12. visor

visor Regular Member

Lol... The cost of collecting this amount of data is likely to be more than the total prize money for the tournament itself. :)

13. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

14. jiayeoh

jiayeoh Regular Member

Student of Research
    i was wondering do the BWF have tried badminton pressure censor court??