US players vs Asian players

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by dailybads, Mar 10, 2004.

1. dailybads

dailybads Regular Member

animator
    How do u think US players (if we hv any) match up with Asian players such as China/Indon/Msia/Korea in terms of skills & performance??
    I have seen a few A players (former US champs) played before both in doubles/singles and they looked pretty good esp. MDs....but just not sure how good they are as compared to those from Asia...

wut do u guys think?

#1 dailybads, Mar 10, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2004
  2. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
  3. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    I've heard that an internationally-reknown coach has said that "Canadians have great strokes. Canadians have some of the nicest strokes in the world. They just don't know how to play badminton."

Even though this thread is about US players, Canada is in N. America, and for the most part, players from both countries have pretty much the same effect in large international tournaments. Perhaps the difference between N. American players and Asian players doesn't have so much to do with skills, but is more towards the strategy/mind/intangible aspects.

Phil

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    #1 MS and MD for US is Kevin Han. I think he's either over 30 or about to be. If US wants to be consider as a threat in badminton, they need to work on their young guns, give them proper training, and give them opptunities to participate in tournies.

The $$$ issue might get involved, as I was told even the national coach won't earn a living (not sure about Tony. G's case).

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Yeah, mentality might be different too. Players from Asian countries tend to be alot more aggressive than tactical due to exposure to very high quality international competitors. It's alot more expensive for N.A. countries to travel abroad so they're not as exposed to the international scene.

6. Californian

Californian Regular Member

The US does not fare well against the Asian countries, and hasn't for the last 50 years or so, especially in the men's events. Badminton is a major sport in that part of the world--kids grow up playing it outdoors, and top players are popular and respected. Meanwhile, opportunities here a very limited.

It would be the reverse of putting together an Asian football team and playing them against an NFL team.

7. Aotis

Aotis Regular Member

Student
    Taufik lost to a US player!

yes, you heard right... Taufik did lose to a player from the USA!
    impressive huh? I am proud of that :)

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    when? who?

9. Aotis

Aotis Regular Member

Student
    it was in an article...

I read it somewhere, I think it was in this forum(if not, it's at the Indonesian web site). The article that talked about Taufik's coach, the guy that returned from Singapore. The article talked about Taufik's two losses, one is against a USA player and the other from some other guy(must suck as well :) ).

I am not being very descriptive because I don't remember the details, but I am sure someone in here knows the details.

10. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Last year I got to speak at length with former Danish international player, Thomas Stavngaard, during an elite training camp held here in BC, Canada. One of the things we discussed were the differences between the players attending the camp and the players back in Denmark of similar age. He mentioned that the skills and technical ability of the players attending this camp were better than Danish players of the same age. However, in singles or doubles matches, the Canadian players wouldn't stand a chance and would be disposed of rather easily. He explained it wasn't a difference in skill that mattered, but a difference in tactics, strategy, gameplay, mindset, and the overall application of it all. Basically, we have all the skills and technique, we just don't know what to do with them :).

I find in today's faster international badminton playing styles and almost cookie cutter skill set, that it's not so much the skills, but rather the application of the skills and techniques players possess that makes the most difference in the outcome of matches. It is also apparent in amateur and recreational levels as well. The average players I play with at my club all seem to posses similar skills, but they sure do apply them differently ;).

#10 timeless, Mar 21, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2004