Starting cross troubles

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by amleto, May 3, 2014.

1. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I'm having difficulty with the starting knot for crosses. Mine seem to get swallowed in the grommet

http://i.imgur.com/3hM6mzx.jpg

I found a video for 'bulk' starting knot or something. Found it difficult to tighten but thought I managed ok in tge end. However, as you can see in the link, the knot has disappeared into the grommet!

Any help/advice? Thanks

2. henrychenn

henrychenn Regular Member

Student
    Do you have a Starting Clamp?If you start your crosses with a starting clamp then you'll be able to make that knot a finishing knot in the endOr have you tried to use a Toshi knot?

3. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Yes, I have a starting clamp. Would I clamp on the outside and later use a flying clamp on 1st & 2nd cross when tying off?

4. henrychenn

Student
    Yes clamp it on the outside and pull from the 2nd last cross like you would normally when using a starting knot, you can also add some supergrap onto the sides of the starting clamp which let's it mould to the shape of the racket when tension is getting pulled , this prevents damage to the racketYea, you can use flying clamps to tie off that part or your base clamps too, just whichever you prefer, I normally just use base clamps

5. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Oh, you're meant to pull from second string when using starting clamp? :eek: So that's like 'double pulling' which loses a lot of tension, right?

This is the knot I used:
    [youtube]UT1cXy-6Wz0[/youtube]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT1cXy-6Wz0

6. henrychenn

Student
    I have used that knot beforeIt isn't actually that "bulky" which is why it falls inYou pull from the second cross when you start yes, but you can go back and pull on that last cross at the bottom when you're tying off

7. amleto

amleto Regular Member

great help, thanks [MENTION=108053]henrychenn[/MENTION]

8. henrychenn

Student
    No problem :) glad to have helped!

9. _Rav_

_Rav_ Regular Member

Gofer
    It does, but the way i do it is to clamp with the starting clamp and double pull. Clamp that string, then pull the third cross and clamp, then go back and pull the first cross. Remove the starting clamp, clamp it off as normal with your fixed/flying clamp and tie off with a finishing knot.

10. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    This knot is actually bulkier than most knots. I've used it for years and it's been great. It can sometimes sink into the grommet if the grommet is very large or if the tension is too high (I rarely double pull the first 2 crosses).

I suggest adding an half hitch knot over it after tightening it, but before tensioning the string. It'll help the knot stay out of the grommet and in my case, it puts the tail right where I want it to be. With this, I've never had any problem at all.

11. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Mine (bulky "starting" knot) gets swallowed by the grommet as well... stringing BG80 @ 13 kg [MENTION=75572]yan.v[/MENTION]: Don't you think after adding the half hitch knot, that first the bulky knot and then the half hitch knot gets swallowed as well?

12. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

Nope. The half hitch knot makes the knot a little bigger. I've even directly pulled 30lbs on it (no double pull) and it stayed out.

13. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Okay, thanks. I'm gonna try it next time.

14. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

I don't recommend pulling directly at high tensions like I did though. Pulling the first 2 crosses at once is safer imo, plus even less risk of the knot sinking in :p

15. Zoidius

Zoidius Regular Member

Just backing up yan.v here, I used to have trouble with the starting cross knot as well until used the Bulky Starting knot with an extra half hitch. Since then I haven't had one slip into the grommet.Another tip is to use a Starting Clamp if you have one, tie the knot as normal then just clamp it up right next to the knot, you can either leave it dangling over the side or hold it and apply a little more tension.

16. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I do a triple loop round the main, then pass the tail through all three loops from grommet side. Pull both sides to tighten. I can find the link if that's clear as mud.