Is head heavy too much for me?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Carlos1, May 3, 2014.

1. Carlos1

Carlos1 New Member

Hello, after playing badminton twice a week for several months and beating much experienced players I decided to get a new racket. I have been attending gym for last four years, mostly doing strength routines so I would say I have quiete strong hands. Because of that I felt like I must choose a head heavy racket so I bought Voltric 9 (314mm balance point) and after 1-2 months of using the racket I must say it does not feel ok in my hand. My shots are quiete inaccurate and I am hitting the net a lot while smashing. When I borrowed my friend's 307mm balanced racket, my shots were little bit less powerfull but a lot more accurate. I also tried my mother's Yonex Isometric Lite (less than half the price of VT9 and 307mm bp) and I also played a lot better, just like with my friend's rocket. Should I give the VT9 another couple of months and hope it gets better? Or do you think that even though VT9 feels light in my hands I am not capable of control it enough due to head heaviness? Thank you in advance.

2. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    It could possibly be string tension being too low.

3. Shenvi

Shenvi Regular Member

Badminton animal
    You should try ~23 lbs of tension on a 66-68 mm string if you want easy power, it may feel better than the stock string. :p---And one more piece of advice, don't always smash. Don't force yourself doing shoots that are too close to the line or net, hold yourself on rally :D---p/s: I am beginner too, correct me if I am wrong :p

4. XShadowHunt3rX

XShadowHunt3rX Regular Member

Student
    You can either stop using heavy headed rackets and train with the balanced headed rackets first or train with heavy headed rackets until you get better, i'm currently using a slightly heavy headed rackets myself :3

5. Shenvi

Shenvi Regular Member

Badminton animal
    I changed from head light to head heavy racket recently, and it's not too bad you know :DGo for some weight training if you love your racket :p

6. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Why is it that, when someone discovers they play well with a balanced racket, they immediately think that something is wrong? And they will go to great lengths to try and prove that they are 'worthy' of a head-heavy racket.

There is nothing inherently better about head-heavy. And there is nothing emasculating about thriving with a balanced racket. Good technique and 'strong hands' are useful assets for any racket.

So go ahead and experiment to your hearts desire, but in the end, use the type of racket that suits you. :)