Toenail Injury

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by krizael, May 3, 2014.

1. krizael

krizael Regular Member

Hi guys

I need your advice on how to prevent toenail injuries, everytime im playing badminton my toenails would hurt and is causing blood underneath the toe.

Shoes im wearing right now is pure gumsole and fitted perfectly

Is it my footwork?

Please help me if you too are experiencing the same issue

2. henrychenn

henrychenn Regular Member

Student
    HelloI used to have this problem, is it your big toe that is hurting?You say your shoes fit perfectly but I beg to differThis happened to me and other people I know because their shoes are slightly too big, meaning every time you lunge your foot moves inside the shoe and your big toe hits against your shoe, the blood underneath the toe has most likely dried by now meaning your toe nail will possibly fall off, when it does make sure to disinfect your toe really well as you don't want it to get infected, then I would see about getting a new pair of shoes half a size smaller if that's the issue

3. krizael

krizael Regular Member

Thanks for the advice!

Yes my big toe is hurting, so you,re saying that everytime we lunge we shouldnt make our big toe hit against the shoe? I might need to double check my footwork during lunges

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Make sure your toenail is trimmed short.

5. krizael

krizael Regular Member

Yes my toenails are trimmed, its really bothering me that when I play i would get my toe hurt badly

6. henrychenn

henrychenn Regular Member

Student
    Make sure that your shoe is tied well and properly tight so that your feet won't move in your shoe so much,your feet will always move in a shoe as fabric stretches after wear, however if your shoe is slightly too large then there is more movement, this means you'll get a larger impact when your foot moves, what you have is called RUNNERS TOE

7. krizael

krizael Regular Member

Thanks! I'll keep that in my mind, i think i need to wear two pair of socks so there'll be no movement in my shoes at all.

8. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

yes, BE CAREFUL. This didn't really happen to me until I bought Head shoes (the ones I have now). During singles, I must have lunged too much during a tournament because I began to notice a large amount of blood store underneath the toenail. Eleven weeks and two days later, the toenail is coming off soon (it is loose), and research has told me that 18 months is the standard growing time for the big toenail. it is probably not a footwork problem, especially because I have trained my footwork extensively for the past 20 months, and it didn't happen until eleven weeks ago. My shoes are Head Speed Pro Lite 2, squash shoes. They are significantly heavier than most badminton shoes, weighing over a pound each. These shoes probably aren't a problem for squash players because of their different set of footwork, but I can confidently say that I will never buy shoes online again, because I thought that BOTH shoes totaled at just over a pound, not EACH shoe. Stick with badminton shoes, and to physical stores, as much as you can.

9. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    happened to me since when I lunge, my toe hits the end of my shoes (I have a wide, but not long feet).

10. ahcash

ahcash Regular Member

Sorry for the 3 months old thread.

Do you guys get black toenails? My podiatrist said I am constantly getting trauma on my toes which is the main cause of my toenail turning black. He sent my toenail for examination and they are not due to fungal. I am suspecting probably due to running around the court, lunging and sudden start stop etc. I also jog if I am not playing badminton.. (runner's toe) that could contribute to the issue.

http://www.footvitals.com/toenails/black-toenail.html

11. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

That's what happened to me in a tournament, unfortunately. I think the most you can do is make sure your shoes are light and fit well.

12. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I have had this problem for over a decade and only found a solution in recently years.

As mentioned above, I have to clip my big toe nail back and also file the edge down so there is a chamfer. I do this every week.

But the other important thing I find that helps is to tie my top two lines of the shoe lace very tightly. This stops the foot sliding forward in the shoe. It can be a little uncomfortable at first, but if the "tongue" on the shoe and your socks are thick enough, it's actually ok.

Hope it helps.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    There are possibly two causes:

1) the foot slides in the shoe and the toe nail bangs against the shoe leather on lunges.

2) the shoe fits so well, the toe nail is against the leather already. Any front lunge will cause the repeat impact on the toe nail.

Solution: tieing up the shoelaces well - remember to release them after a few games.

And, making sure there is a little space between the toe and front leather so that the toe is totally clear.

An extra sock can help but not by padding the toe. It makes your foot a bit wider in the shoe so tieing up the laces makes the foot more secure within the shoe.

14. lordrogue

lordrogue Regular Member

It's very common problem among badminton players I think. Hurts, but no big deal. Clipping them before a tournament usually helps. Mine usually turn blue if I do a lot of desperation footwork where you have to run and then a sudden stop at the net. No matter how good you lace it, that will always hurt... My problem is that my big toes sometimes fractures from these types of movements. And that hurts so much more.

15. visor

visor Regular Member

Fracture?! Yikes, rather you lose the point than fracture your toe. :eek:

16. DramaXoxoBox

DramaXoxoBox New Member

I know this kind of injury is common to any sports who wears close shoes. I know that toe nails get traumatize for 2 reason. 1 is the shoes it maybe too loose or too small. Choose the right shoes that fits your feets and you should be comfortable. 2 it is because of the socks. Choose the socks thats best fit for you feet and budget.

17. Damian Baranowski

Damian Baranowski New Member

Hello Players Maybe you can try this and see if it works for you : 1.Go YouTube 2.Search: toe pads prevent black bruised toenails .It's an interesting solution to your problem. You will find their fb and more info in description.

#17 Damian Baranowski, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  18. Ravi Hossur

Ravi Hossur New Member

Hi. I have had the Toe Black nail issue. I found that it was because the shoe exerted too much pressure on the toe nail during lunges. It is surprising because i have been using the shoe for 5 months now and did not have this problem before. I took a break from the game for a month and when i restarted, encountered this problem. I played today using my older shoe where the top angular pressure on the nail is less and I had no issues /pain /pressure on the toe nail. The other thing i did was to tape the backend of the toe nail - skin intersection tightly.
    I do not think that inserting any padding will help.

19. thomson_dev

thomson_dev New Member

Software engineer
    It seems whenever i start playing after a break , I get this problem. I have been playing badminton for last 10 years or more. I never had this issue. However due to covid , I had to stop playing for an year. When I started playing again on day1 I ran into this issue. It really hurts and blood clots underneath the nail. My nail has also cut into the flesh. It is trimmed well enough. This happened again when I stopped in between and started playing again after 2nd wave of covid.

there is silicon toe protector available in the market. Will that help ?

20. Ffly

Ffly Regular Member

Happened to me recently.

I play with a padded insole (orthopedic) and one day I switched to another one thinner. I guess the shoe stretched according to the old one so now it feels a bit more roomy and during "desperate" lunges, I could feel my foot slide down and hit the end, resulting in a bruised toe.

Didn't find a solution yet but I guess i'll try to add some padding on the shoe again to fill it better