Awl or hook - safe technique to thread through a shared hole

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by amrit88, May 5, 2014.

1. amrit88

amrit88 Regular Member

Hi there, I just need some advice regarding what is the best or worst method to thread through a shared hole. I know Kwun has demonstrated all techniques over a youtube clip ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0VlOigXEgY ). From looking at this video clip its bit obvious that its best to use a pair of pliers, rather than a awl or a hook. My main question is, under high tension (e.g. 30+lbs) would it be safer to use an a awl or a hook?

2. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    My pliers have serrated teeth, I learned the hard way not up use them except to push the string through.

3. 0ozafo0

0ozafo0 Regular Member

From personal experience I feel the hook is better for lower tensions as lower tensions mean that you can actually move the string around more. At higher tensions I almost exclusively use an awl to get a string through shared holes simply because I feel putting more pressure on high tension strings is not the best of ideas.

Obviously I haven't taken the time to do some scientific research but in my mind it stands to reason that when you're string 30+lbs, it would be illogical to pull more tension on one singular point. Thus, I would believe that using a awl is the safer of the two options.

However,at lower tensions like 20-24lbs, I like to use a hook to quickly move a string, and I adding a little more tension when it's that low tension will not damage the string or frame. Therefore, efficiency comes without the risk of damaging string or frame.

4. Chow Mein

Chow Mein Regular Member

If you use an awl with high tensions, BE VERY CAREFUL, if it is too pointy/sharp you run the risk of snapping your string if it's really blocking the grommet. 95% of the time i can pass easily with pliers and a sharp string tip cut with high quality cutters, or string mover as a 2nd option.

5. xZhongCheng

xZhongCheng Regular Member

Systems Analyst
    I used to use an awl and it was a pain to get them through. Once i used the hook I never went back

6. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

I still cannot get the hook method. So in which direction should I pull the string?

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  8. amrit88

amrit88 Regular Member

0ozafo0, i thought similar to your description. I also think using a hook under high tension could be risky, as you are applying more pounds of tension when you are pulling it with the hook. it feels awl maybe a safer option under high tension

9. amleto

amleto Regular Member

my awl feels fairly sharp so I'm scared of nicking the string. I have managed ok (for all 3 of my string jobs...) by using angle of attack, pliers, and pushing tensioned string up/down.

10. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    The string mover is definitely safer. I've never heard of a broken string from using it because tension was too high, and you probably shouldn't string over 30lbs anyways.

But I'd be curious to know if it ever happened.

11. mvdzwaan

mvdzwaan Regular Member

Never use an awl or a hook (anymore). Always cut the string in a tip, look through the hole to see in which direction I should put it in (Kwun's angle of attack), and then use pliers to push it through (if the string knicks, I cut it again). I have 100% success rate using these methods on 80+ jobs.

12. amrit88

amrit88 Regular Member

Just strung a racket at 35lbs and it seem to be alot easier to push it with the pliers. Infact i found stringing at lower tension (around 23lbs) to be bit more of a pain. Thats when i have used an awl or a hook

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    these days i use the awl instead of the string mover.

my awl is the Gamma one and has a very thin tip and shaft. it is perfect for badminton as it easily finds the gap between the string and grommet (by pointing it down) and i have never even once damage a string.

14. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

Anywhere we can buy the Gamma awl online?

15. amrit88

amrit88 Regular Member

16. mvdzwaan

mvdzwaan Regular Member

I find it kind of ironic I have never needed an awl anymore after reading your suggestions and seeing your videos, whereas you're still using them ;)

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it is a matter of patience. (or lack of :) ) i know a stringer who (used to) do the same as you. never use any tool other than the pliers. so it is possible to thread through any shared holes without an awl or string mover. my first attack is still the pliers as well as nudging the string by finger.

however, i usually can tell whether that hole is a stubborn one or not and i will resort to the awl if so. esp for rackets with fresher grommets, i just don't have much patience anymore. :(

18. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Agree with Kwun. Anywhere you use string mover, you can use your thumb to move the string. Awl is last option but should not be ignored.

19. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    String mover works much better than your thumb :) You get a lot more force to move the string than with your fingers imo

20. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I've not needed either since I started widening the holes with the awl before stringing.