Camilla Martin is out

Discussion in 'All England 2004' started by klaphat, Mar 11, 2004.

1. klaphat

klaphat Regular Member

Bad vibes seem to be haunting us Danes..

She's out with a wrist injury..

2. klaphat

klaphat Regular Member

This is translation of an article from a Danish Newspaper's website

Camilla Martin's sad goodbye.

Denmark's best ladies single left All England with tears in her eyes after twisting her right ancle

Camilla Martin got Thursday in Birmingham the worst possible good-bye from the traditional All England-tournament, when she twisted her right ancle in her first match against Tatiana Vattier of France.

The accident occured in the beginning of the 2nd set after Camilla Martin had won the first with 11-2. At the score 2-0 in 2nd set the twist occured when she should reach for a shuttle in her deep forehand. In great pain she fell on court and there was no doubt that she could not commence the match.

Camilla Martin was immediately carried to the changing-room where the Danish physiotherapist took care of her, before she was taken by ambulance to the hospital for X-ray.

- It hurts and aches in the foot. It is hard to say how bad it is. I have never tried to twist my ancle before, said Camilla Martin.

29 year old Camilla Martin has already stated that she will end her carreer after the Olympic games in Athens in August. The question is if she has already played her last match.

- I am somewhat scared by the situation, but right now I just want to know how bad it is, said Camilla Martin.

3. sunzhi

sunzhi Regular Member

hopefully her injury isnt serious...

4. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I guess her time is really up. :( its been great watching her play all these years.. hope her injury is not serious. Maybe we can see her in the commentary box in the future commentating matches like Gale.

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Yah, it's sad to see great athlete to end a career like that. I hope it's not serious and she have enough time to recover for the Olympic.

6. Johnny

Johnny Regular Member

Programmer
    Update

Allthough there are no fractured bones, close examination revealed a partially torn ligament, according to a Danish newspaper. 3-4 weeks rest if she's lucky, but it may take as long as 6-8 weeks of rest to heal...

Her seeding for the olympics will surely suffer because of this. Damn this is sad :(

Attached Files:

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yeah. it is not a serious injury. it will heal but unfortunately it will take time. i had a similar one and it took me at least 3-4 months. considering Olympics is 5 months away, it is an significant injury for her. just bad bad timing.

feel sorry for her. she failed the Olympics last time and waited this long just to have another chance at it. now she is set back by just a twist of the ankle.

there is still a chance of course, her path to victory is already tough and this injury won't make it any better.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    more reports:

----

Badminton: Martin makes sad exit from All-England Open

Related News »
    • Badminton: Xia goes down in flames to Welsh dragon

BIRMINGHAM, England : Camilla Martin, the former world and All-England champion from Denmark, finished the last All-England Open of her career by being taken away in a wheelchair and carried off to hospital.

The sixth-seeded Martin collapsed with a damaged ankle when she was on the verge of reaching the last 16, and her departure greatly increases the likelihood of China winning the women's singles for the seventh time in eight years.

Advertisement

The injury occurred as Martin was leading 11-2, 2-0 against Tatiana Vattier of France in the second round, though it was the former champion's first match of the tournament.

Martin moved back to take what appeared to be a routine clear and unexpectedly went over on her right ankle. She lay on the court for several minutes before being wheeled away in obvious distress.

"It hurts like hell," she said. "But I have never had anything like this before so I don't know whether or not it's supposed to hurt like hell.

"In fact I've never had an injury which has caused me to retire during a match before."

According to tournament doctor Ashwin Patel the injury is a sprain, but Martin was sent to hospital where they ruled out any possibility of a fracture.

With the 29-year-old planning to retire soon after the Olympic Games in Athens in August, a quick recovery is essential if Martin is to have the climax to her career which its achievements deserve.

The charismatic Dane has been the only player in recent years to make a serious challenge to China's dominance of women's singles, and arguably the only European player to pose a consistent threat to Asian dominance

Instead of facing Martin, the top-seeded Chinese player Gong Ruina now has a much more comfortable looking quarter-final against Marina Andrievskaya, the Soviet-born Swede, as a reward for beating Karina de Wit of The Netherlands and Kim Kyeung-Ran of Korea.

All the Chinese contenders made the last eight.

Xie Xingfang, the eight-seeded former finalist, had to save a game point on the first game against Yao Jie, the former Chinese squad member who now plays for the Netherlands, but Zhang Ning, the second-seeded world champion and Zhou Mi, the third seed, both won twice comfortably.

However China's former world number one men's singles player, Chen Hong, did not survive. Although Chen came from a game and 8-11 down against Peter Gade, another former world number one, to take the match the full distance, the Dane's speedy game overcame the Chinese star by 15-13, 11-15, 15-8.

Also making an exit was South Korea's second seed Lee Hyun-Il who lost to China's Chen Yu, seeded 11, losing 15-5, 15-5.

Gade next plays Muhammad Roslin Hashim, the elder of the two Malaysian brothers, who made one of the greatest comebacks the All-England has ever seen. Roslin recovered from a game and 5-14 down and from 11-14 down in the decider, saving six match points while beating Kenneth Jonassen, the seventh-seeded Dane, 7-15, 17-14, 15-14.

The younger brother, Muhammad Hafiz Hashim however lost his All-England title. Hafiz was beaten 15-9, 15-8 by Anders Boesen, the tenth seeded Dane, who goes through to play Ronald Susilo, the Indonesian who now plays for Singapore.

Chen Hong's defeat was the second upset involving a big name Chinese men's singles player in two days.

Xie Xuanze, who won the world title in this arena seven months ago, was beaten on Wednesday by Richard Vaughan, the Welshman who is making a comeback from a career-threatening hip injury.

Now however Vaughan suffered a physical reaction from his giant-killing efforts and after leading 10-9 in the first game, was beaten 15-11, 15-4 by Taufik Hidayat, the former All-England finalist from Indonesia.

- AFP

Attached Files:

9. yclin

yclin Regular Member

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Re: translation

i think that's what klaphat posted at the beginning of this thread...

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    more pics from the Chinese site...

Attached Files:

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor

Attached Files:

13. klaphat

klaphat Regular Member

Re: translation

A quick translation, because this is actually another article.. and please excuse my lousy spelling.. I have no time to use the dictionary right now..

"National head coach wants Camilla Martin to go to World Championships

Camilla Martin's coach Steen Pedersen thinks that she shall continue her career until the World Championships not that she has been injured during the All England and cannot participate in the Olympic games in Athens

(Klaphat's note: I don't believe it has been confirmed that she cannot participate in Athens. I think the reporter is stretching the facts here, which also seems to follow from the rest of the article)

Camilla Martin could very well look forward to a turbulent end of her glorious career in badminton if she insists on leaving the racket on the shelf this fall.

An ankle injury and an expected break of several weeks’ means that Camilla Martin will have a hard time reaching top form before the Olympic games. Consequently, the head coach thinks she shall continue until the World Championships in Los Angeles in the spring of 2005.

»She will be playing Denmark Open in the fall, so she might as well continue until the World Championships in March. She cannot stop like this, says Steen Pedersen who despite of his statement does not believe that Camilla Martin will change her decision and he does not intend to try to convince her to do so.

»No, that is up to her, but if she wants to continue she is very welcome, says the national coach.

29-year-old Camilla Martin received quite a scare, when she in her first match Thursday in All England twisted her right ankle and in great pain had to leave the tournament. X-rays show that the right ligament is partially torn, which results in a break between 4 to 8 weeks.

(klaphat's note again: I think this is just a reporter who wants an article. Judging from her previous statements I do not think that Camilla will continue her career.)

#13 klaphat, Mar 12, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2004
  14. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Camilla Martin, the former world and All-England champion from Denmark, finished the last All-England Open of her career by being taken away in a wheelchair and carried off to hospital on Thursday.

The sixth-seeded Martin collapsed with a damaged ankle when she was on the verge of reaching the last 16, and her departure greatly increases the likelihood of China winning the women's singles for the seventh time in eight years.

The injury occurred as Martin was leading 11-2, 2-0 against Tatiana Vattier of France in the second round, although it was the former champion's first match of the tournament.

Martin moved back to take what appeared to be a routine clear and unexpectedly went over on her right ankle. She lay on the court for several minutes before being wheeled away.

“It hurts like hell,” she said. “But I have never had anything like this before so I don't know whether or not it's supposed to hurt like hell. In fact, I've never had an injury which has caused me to retire during a match before.”

According to tournament doctor, the injury is a sprain, but Martin was sent to hospital where they ruled out a fracture.

Instead of facing Martin, top-seeded Chinese Gong Ruina now has a much more comfortable looking quarter-final against Sweden’ Marina Andrievskaya.

All the Chinese contenders made it into the last eight. Xie Xingfang, the eight-seeded former finalist, had to save a game point on the first game against Yao Jie, the former Chinese squad member who now plays for Holland, but Zhang Ning, the second-seeded world champion and Zhou Mi, the third seed, both won twice comfortably.