Mizuno Footwear

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by TheComedian, May 12, 2014.

1. TheComedian

TheComedian Regular Member

Badminton Player/Coach
    So, I have an interesting situation:
    I'm sponsored by Prokennex Taiwan. At the moment, my world ranking is not very high (309 *sigh*) but nevertheless Prokennex treats me pretty well. The usually provide me with whatever I need, except for shoes.

I have to purchase my own footwear at the moment. I've been wearing li-Ning (easy to get in china) but I remembered that they would prefer if I didn't wear shoes from big badminton companies such is lining, yonex, or victor.

One of my old coaches in Kitchener (Lance Hunter) always wore mizuno shoes.

I found these on taobao.com: http://h5.m.taobao.com/awp/core/det...O-RdBd&sid=ed82c5ec56cec0a8&abtest=7&bagtype=

Do you recommend these shoes? Or this brand? I THINK Vittinghus wears this brand of shoe but I'm not sure.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I use to swear by Mizuno. They had a slightly wider version of shoe which suited my feet. One day I forgot my shoes to a session and was hunting around for another pair in a shop close by. They only had Yonex so I had to buy those. These Yonex had lateral claws which I found to stabilize my feet really well. So well, I haven't gone back to Mizuno!

Although it's been a while since I used Mizuno, I would definitely recommend people to giving it a go. Caveat: shoes are highly personal so what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another.

3. TheComedian

Badminton Player/Coach
    Yeah, I used to wear Yonex. They always broke way to fast. Im talking like 6 weeks. Li-Ning shoes seem to last at least 3 months of everyday usage.

I like the style of Mizuno, I'll give them a go. And I think they would look good with my attire on court.

I'm just wondering about the quality of Mizuno.

4. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Mizuno shoes quality is quite good. I also suggest you to have a look at Asics Badminton shoes. I knew that Joachim Fischer, although he is sponsored by Babolat for Racket, bag and jersey, he wore Asics shoes instead.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Oh. Mizuno used to last a lot longer than Yonex! But I don't play as much as you so wouldn't want to give an estimate on how long they would last for you.

I have to admit my present Yonex shoes with lateral claws have lasted surprisingly long.

Yes. Agree about the styling for Mizuno.

6. TheComedian

Badminton Player/Coach
    Well, I had a 2nd look at Vittinghus' shoes, he is wearing asics as you just mentioned. Like JF. I thought it was mizuno.

Are both these companies competitors or are they both a branch of the same company?

7. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

They are competitors. I would try Mizuno first as they are pretty much only available in Asia ... (the badminton models). Perhaps if they were available in Europe they wouldn't be wearing Asics. That said the Gel Beyond has become a popular model for badminton in Denmark but they are not very durable (apparently).

8. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Forgot to add Mizuno has a high reputation in Japan in regards to badminton shoes ... (half the national team are wearing them even when sponsored by Yonex in the racket department)

9. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    mizuno wave fang pro is very good..

10. TheComedian

Badminton Player/Coach
    Yeah, I was looking at those ones. They look like the top of the line lining shoes and are half the price.

11. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    wave fang pro is very good. Sadly, like all mizuno shoes, they have no lateral claws.

12. TheComedian

Badminton Player/Coach
    I'll get the yellow ones. They look good. I don't really feel a difference between shoes that have lateral claws and ones that don't. The lining shoes I have don't have them. I like them better than the pair I have that do

13. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i still swear by mizunos for running, football, softball, etc. i have a pair of wave fang and i still do. at first by the touch the leather is very soft and i worried support. after using it over a few sessions, i realized that somehow, it gives great support as long as you tie your laces tight enough, snug enough. i love it because i have wide feet like donald duck. the only problem like some of you have mentioned is the lack of lateral claws and at first i was skeptical, but soon found that i don't need it now that i'm used to shoes without them. the sole is soft and comfortable, yes the sides are supportive. it's also a great shoe because it requires no break in period unlike every other pair of badminton shoes i've owned.

only down side to me is the wear and tear. the rubber near the toe area tends to wear out very quickly, especially for the foot that i drag on the floor with.