User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default When does the umpire call out a match or game point?

    Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find any games with referees where it went to 29-all, so here's my question: When does the umpire announce a game point or match point?Obviously, when one side reaches, say, 20-19 in the first game, the umpire announces "20 game point 19". What happens if the opposite side score twice after that; is the announcement "21 game point 20", or simply "21 20"?Then, there's the issue of 29 points. The appendix of the badminton rules mentions "29 game point 28". Does that just happen if team A was always one point ahead or level until team B overtook them at 29:28, or do you always announce that?Then, there's the matter of 29:29 in the second set. How do you call out that? The rules just mention "29 game point all" and "29 match point all".

  2. #2
    Regular Member demolidor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    @Hollanti
    Posts
    11,829
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Haven not checked the rules but I assume only when the serving party is on game- or matchpoint which after 21 points would always be the case when the score is not tied with the exception of 29-29. Not sure I understand the question when you mention the rules say "29 game/match point all" already?

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    No, when you observe umpires at top-level games, they say something like
    "20 game point 19""service over, 20 all""service over, 21 20"

    About 29:29: In the first set, it's obviously a game point for both players, and in the third, it's obviously a match point for both as well. But in the second set, 29:29 is a game point for the player who lost the first set, and a match point for the other one. Therefore, both "match point all" and "game point all" would be inaccurate.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NorCal, United States
    Posts
    929
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The only times it is announced is at 20-x (where x is below 20) or 29-28, or 29-all. When it goes to 21-20, it is just 21-20 and NOT 21 game/match point 20, continuing until it reaches 29. At 29-all 2nd game, because you say the server's score 1st, you say game or match point depending who's serving. If the server won the 1st game, it is therefore 29-match point all. If the server lost the 1st game, it is 29-game point all.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    @CantSmashThis Thank you very much! If you don't mind me asking somewhat off-topic, are there any BWF guidelines or training materials for umpires where I could look up questions like this? All I can find on bwfbadminton.com (apart from the rules) is this presentation: http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file.aspx?id=534725&dl=1

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    @Home
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    look here : http://www.bwfbadminton.org/page.aspx?id=14915Part II Section 1B Appendix 4 - Vocabulary http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file.aspx?id=550373&dl=1And Part II Section 2 - Recommendations to Technical Officials (RTTO) http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file.aspx?id=550377&dl=1

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    @Home
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    sorry about the poor setup in the last post.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thanks for the links! However, unless I'm mistaken, they all point to the rules and regulations (don't they?). I cited these in the original post, and the reason why I posted this thread is that they do not include a precise explanation of when to call out game point/match point (again, unless I'm overlooking something). I was looking for more content in the vein of like the "Tops for Umpires" or "Scenarios for discussion" in the May 2014 presentation.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cal Central
    Posts
    150
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phihag View Post
    No, when you observe umpires at top-level games, they say something like
    "20 game point 19""service over, 20 all""service over, 21 20"


    About 29:29: In the first set, it's obviously a game point for both players, and in the third, it's obviously a match point for both as well. But in the second set, 29:29 is a game point for the player who lost the first set, and a match point for the other one. Therefore, both "match point all" and "game point all" would be inaccurate.
    In a written form, it would be apparently inaccurate. Here's how I understand the vocabulary - the score is always notified from the server's side first. Recall, "Love-all; play." The "all" signifies all sides, meaning both sides of the net. There is no confusion here, right? This is what RTTO 3.3.7.3. states.

    In practice, the phrase is enunciated with a pause, as in "29-match point [very brief pause] all," that is the server has match point, and all signifies 29 points on both sides,--or-- "29-game point [very brief pause] all." Ditto.

    This is one of the things that a umpire practices the night before, before counting sheep. An umpire who has anticipated all eventualities, has also prepared in best way possible.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cal Central
    Posts
    150
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phihag View Post
    Thanks for the links! However, unless I'm mistaken, they all point to the rules and regulations (don't they?). I cited these in the original post, and the reason why I posted this thread is that they do not include a precise explanation of when to call out game point/match point (again, unless I'm overlooking something). I was looking for more content in the vein of like the "Tops for Umpires" or "Scenarios for discussion" in the May 2014 presentation.
    The laws, of any organised sport, will most likely never have a precise explanation of all possible scenarios; however, they will cover those scenarios.

    And which is this May 2014 presentation you reference? Is this from the BWF?

    As for the tips for umpires (if that is what you meant), most umpires make their own summaries. As for the scenarios for discussion, perhaps it is time you got in on their game. These ump chappies almost always discuss them at the end of each day/night's session. Blag you way in on such a gathering when you get a chance if you find where they are holed up.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Umpire resources

    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheels04 View Post
    And which is this May 2014 presentation you reference? Is this from the BWF?
    Sorry, I confused the date, it's actually March 2014. I apologize for not posting the link upfront: http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file.aspx?id=534725&dl=1

    That's all I can find on the umpire site http://www.bwfbadminton.org/page.aspx?id=14902 , apart from the official documents (rules, TO recommendations) at http://www.bwfbadminton.org/page.aspx?id=14915 . Am I overlooking other documents at bwfbadminton.org?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheels04 View Post
    As for the tips for umpires (if that is what you meant), most umpires make their own summaries. As for the scenarios for discussion, perhaps it is time you got in on their game. These ump chappies almost always discuss them at the end of each day/night's session. Blag you way in on such a gathering when you get a chance if you find where they are holed up.
    That's precisely what I meant, thank you for the tip! I'll try to catch some umpires at the next big tournament here.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    malaysia
    Posts
    3,976
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    looks like park joo bong will have a busy weekend, cause both his boys & girls are playing in the final

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •