So I know I want to buy a stringing machine (NEWB)

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Makoru, May 13, 2014.

1. Makoru

Makoru New Member

I read the sticky note, "So you're thinking of buying a stringing machine?" I have decided I want to buy a stringing machine with the following specs:

1. Drop weight tensioning mechanism
    2. 6 point mount
    3. Free clamps because it seems most that come with are meant for tennis

The sticky had some machines listed (Eagnas gets no love in these forum) but it is over 5 years old so I was wondering if you guys had any updated recommendations. The Gamma X-6 and the Gamma Progression II 602 seem to fit the bill but what do I know?.
    Thanks in advance!

2. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
  3. Makoru

Makoru New Member

Thanks! Looking at the link and doing some more research, the Pro's Pro Challenger I and II seems nice but I am not sure if the ratchet in I is necessary. It looks like it's not very durable and you can get by without it.

4. Chow Mein

Chow Mein Regular Member

If you are in the US, you're better off ordering a Gamma X6 or X6FC from the walmart website and pickup at your nearest store.

5. xgumbyx

xgumbyx Regular Member

I debated and hummed and hawed and tried to find the best deal possible. I spent weeks trying to figure out a way to get everything on the cheap but it just didn't seem like I ever would. In the end I went with the Gamma 602-FC and ordered the additional badminton clamps and now I couldn't be happier. Just be careful when you order if you go with the badminton clamps, they only had one in stock when I placed my order and so they shipped one and backordered the other. It took over a month to get the second one and that was only because I pissed and moaned about it until they went searching and found a single one in their warehouse.

6. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    That's one big thing in the badminton world. We spend hours trying to get everything for as cheap as possible and forget everything about the rest. It's the main reason why Eagnas/Maxline still exist.

7. xgumbyx

xgumbyx Regular Member

I also considered going the Eganas route however I am in Canada and given the less than stellar service and warranty reputation I decided to avoid that brand even though it could have saved me a few hundred dollars. One bad item and that could negate any savings I may have made. At least by going with ATS Sports/Gamma I should be able to avoid such problems.

8. bobbinbette

bobbinbette Regular Member

I personally use a gamma progression 602 and I find it to be a great machine.

They recently upgraded their side supports and it performs well overall. The only gripe I have with it is that under some higher loads, the side supports will move a bit. Additionally, only the large weight is accurate on their scale. If you take apart the weight, it's no longer accurate to the "adjusted" scale. However, I have not had any issues with it so far and am very happy with my machine.

9. xZhongCheng

xZhongCheng Regular Member

Systems Analyst
    I didnt believe you when you said you can order gamma machines from walmart.... I had to check myself.. and there it was. Why does the states get everything.... :(

Its so hard to get a machine in Canada. I just got lucky.. lol

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    one of the most painful part of using a drop weight is to sets the drop weight bar horizontal. to do that requires adjusting the string length multiple times for that to happen. this is a pretty slow process. the ratchet helps by not having to re-seat the string on the gripper multiple times.

so i'd recommend getting it if possible.

11. sammoh86

sammoh86 New Member

Buyer
    Hi Makoru,
    I have Pro's Pro Challeger drop weight machine. For me it seem good machine and good tension may be take a bit longer time compare to electronic machine. And drop weight machine won't cost you as expensive as electronic machine, unless you have a badminton shop. This is just my own opinion, hope it help you.