How is everyone able to play 9+ hours a week w/o injuring themselves?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Scriber, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Scriber

Scriber Regular Member

I'm amazed at how everyone can play for 3 hours a night/3+ times a week. I usually play 2 hours a night, once a week. This past week i played 2 hours on tuesday and wednesday, and my shoulder is still a little sore! Maybe i'm really outta shape.
    I had the opportunity to play again tonite but i didnt want to push it and injure myself.

2. Kenny

Kenny Regular Member

High School
    Its all based on the training. About a month ago in school, I had badminton about....4 times a week practises for the school team at 7:30 am, then at 9:00 am i had badminton in gym straight for 9 days. Then some days at night i would play badminton, Some mornings i would wake up not able to move my arm. But im pretty use to it now.

3. Scriber

Scriber Regular Member

Just worried that the cycle of not being able to move my arm in the morning is going to lead to rotator cup problems that will prevent me from playing permanently in the future.

4. MonarchPryde

MonarchPryde Regular Member

Student In High School
    I dont know, but surly i can do it! I am on Mt. Eden's High School Badminton team in the Bay Area. we have pratice from 3:30-6:30 and surely not me playing all that time. Maybe an hour a day of badminton for pratice. But i also go to open gyms 4 times a week and each time is atleast 2-4 hours of playing! That's 17 hours of playing Badminton a WEEK! I believe that younger players have more adredline and endurence then older people. most likely that younger players adapt and heal injuries and soreness much faster then older people. I think it depends on your age, how fit you are, how much engery you have and what have you been doing in those days of playing? Like smashing for like hours! That can be why you can become sore or get injuries.

5. other

other Regular Member

Student
    17 hours a week.....oooo...lucky person
    i only have about 7-8 hours:(

6. fhchiang

fhchiang Regular Member

scribber...

don't push yourself too far, too fast...

try maybe 3 hours a week... a week later try 5 hours... another week later try 7 hours....

as u get fitter and build more muscles(used during badminton) you'll less likely have injuries...

7. manabu

manabu Regular Member

Dr
    Imagine playing every sunday nights (7:30pm - 10:30pm), Mon (7:30 - 10:00), Tue (8:00 - 10:00), Thurs (7:30 - 10:00) and Fri (8:30 - 11:00). Going to gym every Sat afternoo (2:00 - 4:30pm).

About to join a club to play some competition on wednesday nights (my only night available)

I cant b bothered to count but now my right knee starts to feel weak...... btw, I am 22 yrs of age atm.

8. manabu

manabu Regular Member

Dr
    btw, I play about 80% of the time and no longer receive coaching since they r so bloody expensive n since Ive already got the footwork and strokes. (I think~ ^.^)
    For most of my games, I play with high school competition level players. (from high school reps to VET team members)

9. ttktom

ttktom Regular Member

i play at least 10 Hours per week and i feel it a lil bit from playing 4 nights on the run :)

10. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    In answer to the posted question "LUCK"

11. curtis

curtis Regular Member

Is your right knee your leading leg? I went on a badminton marathon like 3hrs a day 16 days straight hahaha and my racket side knee was really feelin it..
    Actually it might be because I have a heavier build than most. 6 feet, 215lbs and I play pretty hard.

Drink some milk and let it heal. 3-5 days was enough for me. BTW, I'm 21.

12. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Being young helps tremendously. When I was in university, I used to play 3 - 4 times a week, 3 hours for each session. No injuries, minimal exhaustion, speedy recovery (of stamina). But now that I'm past my mid-20's, I just can't keep up with that kind of schedule anymore.

Doing proper warm-ups helps a lot as well. If I neglect to do my warm-ups nowadays, I know my joints and muscles could very easily get hurt.

-Rick

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Agree.

If you want to play more, increase the workload slowly. No need to jump from 2 to 15 in 1 shot, as the strokes, footwork and most important stamina, need some time to be improved.

If you don't feel comfortable, maybe your strokes got some issues. Maybe consider to consult with ur coach or other experienced player for advice. If you still feel tired, or had some old injury history on that, don't over push for it.

Currently, my schedule is loaded for weekend as Fri (4 hrs), Sat (6 hrs) and Sun (4 hrs). Might consider to shift some loads to weekdays. If the new gym nextby could be opened on time, I will have Mon and Thurs for 3-4 hrs each. ;)

14. manabu

manabu Regular Member

Dr
    Curtis,

yes, I'm a right hander and yes. my right legis my leading foot. I found it's getting worse everytime I play now, I think I am getting used to the "weakness' now... >,<
    Would wrapping it like a pro helps? hee ~ I'm now trying to jump smashing with both legs, hope that will help with my "injury"~

my friend found it strange saying that he saw me landing on my left leg everytime I land and start getting back into position and couldnt understand why it wasnt my left leg which was injuried~ hee I have no clue to that 2... so clueless

and yes. I do take calcium tablets twice a day (as suggested by the bottle) as I cant take milk or I will get diarrhea

15. curtis

curtis Regular Member

I jump off of my right leg and land on the left as well.

I think the injury is caused by constant lunges. That's what I think is affecting my knee.

Anyways, I read somewhere that joints are like muscles in that if you put them under some stress, they will heal and get 'stronger' (like bones). Just make sure to let it rest. Don't work it too hard while you feel the injury. I found that my knee doesn't get weak anymore.

Now I get it in my right elbow when I do smashing drills (and pretty much swing the raquet as hard as I possibly can)

Anyways, good luck with the knee.

16. Scriber

Scriber Regular Member

Are there any shoulder/rotator cuff stretches or exercises?

17. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    I play everday for about 4+ hours a day. I usually get around 28+ hours a week!:)

Unlike a lot you guys i'm still young and strong!:D :D

18. krnkpboy

krnkpboy Regular Member

Student
    i believe injury doesnt come from playing for long time
    i trained during summer break.. (im in highschool) i played 12-6pm everyday monday-sunday 6 hours a day 42 hours a week... consisting of 3 hours of conditionin 2 hours of drilling 1 hour of game..... only problem i got after dat was... nothing i think doing right stretches n mayb jogging for a bit to get your heartrate up and warm your body... playing for long time shouldnt be a problem

19. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Rub it in why don't ya ;)

20. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

there are. You can Google them up on the web.

and also, see http://shoulderpaininfo.com/