Smash Of The Titans Charity Badminton Tournament at Bintang Milpitas!

Discussion in 'USA West' started by CantSmashThis, May 18, 2014.

1. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Hi BCers,I'm helping host a charity badminton tournament on Saturday, June 14th at Bintang Milpitas! All proceeds will go to Kids In The Game charity, more info about the charity can be found at http://www.kidsinthegame.org This will be a MIXED & DOUBLES tournament only. There are B, C, D, Es (MD, WD & MX) as well as Funky Doubles! We are expecting possibly over 350+ players!More info can be found on the facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/events/1375903832687791/ You can register on TournamentSoftware at: http://www.tinyurl.com/CharityBadminton14 Hope to see you there

2. kaki!

kaki! Regular Member

June 14th! I don't think I can recover by then...
    What's Funky Doubles? I don't really use Facebook.

3. CantSmashThis

Funky doubles is no two high A flight players. We will be having the Bintang coaches playing. This is just so that they can't both play together. Maybe 1 of them and a student or such

4. kaki!

kaki! Regular Member

Your tinyurl link doesn't work:
    "Error: Unable to find site's URL to redirect to."

Can't you use the original link?

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I fixed the link. try again.

6. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    CantSmashThis - I hope you guys figure out how to best schedule the matches. It's now approaching 1000 people, & the deadline isn't even close yet. :eek:

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I only counted at most 300. Even then, that is awesome. If you get 1000 you might want to spread it out to two weekends. Fitting 550 players into that gym for the corporate tournament was very tight!

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    1000 people? That gym is going to be a pressure cooker.

Do shuttles have to be adjusted for speed due to heating and humidity?

9. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Of course, I exaggerated. It's 338 players to be more precise, at the time of this writing. But if you take a closer look, quite a few of them are still by themselves today. This most probably means their partners are coming...:eek: And a lot of them are playing more than 1 event.:eek::eek:

Assuming no lock-up in scheduling, how many Doubles matches (actually there'd also be XD) you can schedule in that gym in one single day?

10. CantSmashThis

I can schedule up to 680 total matches in that gym in a single day. But of course, that'd mean practically no break. That'd be a 9AM-11PM schedule with 25 mins matches. Right now we're at 436 matches (counting only those who have signed up with a partner in the system. I can squeeze in another 40 matches if I made it an 8 AM start.

Of course, it seems like another 100 players will sign up between now and the 9th.

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    this guy knows what he is doing! :)

12. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Okay. We're all counting on you to do the correct scheduling and calculation. :cool:
    Hopefully, no one needs to wait for 2-3 hours between each match for the entire day. Some nightmare flashes back from past experience.

13. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Now that the "dust" is settled (entry is closed), does it look like it's within the time budget?
    With 500 pairs (or events), I got an estimated end time of around 12:00 p.m. if we start at 8:00 a.m., assuming:

0. 500 pairs would equate to 750 matches (everyone guarantees 2 matches)
    1. We can use 20 out of 22 courts total (2 courts to allow the 500 people to sit/stand, and to put their gym bags, maybe more?)
    2. We can ignore consolation would be just 1 game of 21 points till semi-final (so consolation would actually take less time)
    3. No major withdrawal or defaults throughout the day
    4. Your estimate of 25 minutes per match (including 2-minute warm-up, + change-over time (i.e. up to 5 minutes allowed default time + finished pairs reporting scores + intermissions + inter-game breaks) - this seems very optimistic, allowing ~ 15 minutes for the real match. If you don't have an umpire per match on each court (which I suspect you don't), your time control would likely be off.

14. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    My hope is that you would concentrate the matches per flights together and stage them 1 after another. In any case, try to see how you can schedule it so no one needs to stay for like eternity. Sorry, I think my phobia is acting up...:eek:

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Demanding customers.. :)

16. CantSmashThis

We're at a tad under 700 matches for the whole tournament. 1/3rd of those matches will be consolation. (This is where I get to overstuff the courts, since it's scheduled in 25 mins, but will only take an average of 10-15 mins tops). Consolation will not get much rest time (it is only 1 game, so technically playing 3 cons game back to back, is equal to playing a full rubber match anyways), so luckily that will help a bit.

Unfortunately, scheduling it so the whole thing doesn't take an eternity is impossible. Because I schedule with tournamentsoftware, and one of the cons to using it, is that it pretends that everyone is a winner (which is how it should be. You cannot fairly determine who will make it to finals and what not), therefore it calculates everyone as playing from the 1st round, to finals (or to consolation finals), and especially if they play multiple events, most people will have to be at the gym most of the day (unless they are eliminated, but of course nobody expects that and I'm sure everyone wants to win).

And hopefully seeding is correct that the tournament starts off fast (and not have too many rubber matches at the start). The biggest thing is we try to call people 15-20 mins before their matches (especially if we start off fast at the beginning and have empty courts), and the problems we have with that is that people don't show up until mins before. So we will have to be strict on that.

17. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Hi CanSmashThis, please don't get me wrong. Appreciate your running this tournament. It's certainly not easy a job, esp. with this size. And my bad experience was from very old days, some 10 years ago, not your tournaments...:p

I was thinking if it'd make sense to schedule it in such a way that we could let 1 or at most 2 groups to finish 2 rounds first, before we call in a third group. E.g. E and D starts at 8:00 p.m. (people that play E would likely play D if they play 2 events, but no higher). If you allow these 2 groups to play 2 rounds first, half the people in the 2 groups would be eliminated. That could easily be 50-60 people. During the first 2 hours, you may come to realize you can't start C in full-swing, and so those 80-90 C-players shouldn't come in; they only crowd the gym, and won't help the progress.

Then maybe at 10:00 p.m. C comes in, while D and E continue to its "3rd" round. Then maybe 11:30 B comes in.

If you're using software to do it, outcome maybe different. And of course, I'm just coming up the above in thin air... ;)