Strings Loose the Crisp...

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by amit_ahujaa, May 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. amit_ahujaa

amit_ahujaa New Member

Builder and Hotelier
    is it that the Strings loose the Crisp after you play with it for a while (15-20 days ) ?i am a very regular player ( 2 hrs daily )what i have experienced is that , whenever i string my racquet, the stings have amazing strokes when its new, but with time it SOFTENS a lot...so after around 10-15 days, the feel of the string become very soft which very much affects my strokes.has anyone else experienced the same ??

2. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

That's totally normal; considering you play every day, even more so. Also depends a lot on the tension and the string. A coach once told me that the durability of BG80 strings is 8 hours total play time, after that the strings don't play as they used to.

3. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    that's very legit. unless you are willing to sacrifice the crispness for longevity and trying to save money, it would be good to restring your racket every 3 weeks, at least from my personal experience that's how long the new string feel lasts :(

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yup. fresh strings always feel better. i re-strung my main rackets the day before to make sure they are in tip-top shape. for regular practice there might be a cost concern if you don't have your own stringing machine.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

To OP:

What string and tension?

To get a longer lasting period of crispness, it's possible to string 1-2 lbs higher than your usual, then don't play with it for a week, and it'll end up with the right tension for you that'll last longer.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i wonder if the (loss of) crispness is purely tension drop related, or due to the string losing elasticity?

think about an elastic band, when new, you pull it, it is pretty elastic, but as you keep pulling it, it will get to a point where it is no longer elastic.

a string is similar, after long use, it will get stretched to the point where the elasticity is lost, that's when the string loses tension and also feels dead.

i don't think there is much that one can do other than to get new strings.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Yeah, I know what you mean. But I suppose if we stay well under the string's elastic limit, it should be fine(?).

But yes, once I started to appreciate it, I also love the crisp feel of a fresh string job. To the point where I'm even starting to entertain the thought of getting my own stringing machine.

It's been mentioned before that the feel of the racket and strings is even more important to the advanced player than power, or defence, or durability, and I'm beginning to understand this more.

#7 visor, May 20, 2014
    Last edited: May 20, 2014
  8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Possible. Another thread mentions that bg65 seems to hold elasticity better. It loses tension, but remains elastic. Probably because it is a thick string and thus takes higher tension to reach its limit.