User Tag List

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberlettuce View Post
    This score tinkering worrys me a bit. I think they have it correct now so please don't change it! In the planned formats games will be so short that the main events and finals will go from big and engaging events to obsurd sideshows. The trial formats offer little chance for players that get a poor start to come back in the game and have a chance of winning probably making the games quite predictable. A lot can happen in the span of 21 points that can allow a good fluctuation of play. I think many of the above comments regarding the presentation and overall image of the sport are spot on. I have seen a few lower camera angles represented on some of the utube videos that are much more engaging than the overhead view that is currently the standard and perhaps some investigation in to things like that will make it more popular to general viewers. Some work on the over all image of the sport is certainly needed as well, here in the uk it is still regarded as a game a pair of grannies play patting it back and forth to each other. While it can be played like that of course there is so much more to the game which needs portrayed in the right manner to get over to people to sheer speed and variety in the game.
    What good is the camera angle when it isn't even shown on television in the first place .
    You cannot make people care about badminton through the technical aspects of it or the intrinsic game qualities. People care about personalities and home players ...
    Badminton is so popular in "Asia" it's stuck behind paid sports channels where the majority of people can't even watch it .
    An idea I've had for a while and maybe even posted in the past is a Thomas/Uber or Sudirman style international league club competition. This way the teams are not bound by nationality yet they represent an area/city to attract some engagement from the locals. "Singapore Lions vs Copenhagen Mermaids, Shanghai Grasshoppers vs Jakarta Eagles"
    Of course this takes a lot of the solo aspect of the game out of it but that is leading nowhere up anytime soon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you ask someone on the street (in the UK) to name a badminton player, I think most non-badminton people (even some who play badminton) would struggle to name any. Compare this to other sports and you'll hear them name at least one or two of the top players. Part of this is down to coverage. I could name you one or two darts players despite not following darts at all, simply because it's aired on TV for free here in the UK (on BBC).

I find if you tell someone you play badminton, they normally say they enjoy badminton and are quite good, only to find out they've managed to hit a shuttle in the back garden or something similar. I think this is possibly because they are unaware of exactly how good the standard gets in badminton, due to lack of coverage.

The club idea is an interesting one, I think they're trying that here in the UK with this new national badminton league.

The only badminton my friends ever mentioned was the punch up between the two ex-partners which they seemed to enjoy. Has anyone ever thought about combining badminton and wrestling?! haha. It would definitely increase viewing figures!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Changing the scoring system just for the sake of shorter match time is a stupid logic to develop the sports, this is just to make the sports a fast food and will definitely kill the sports.

Imaging if a WC finals just be finished in a 20 min match? Imaging if the TC finals last nite just be finished in a 2:1 3 match competition and each in 20 mins? Where is the excitement? Where will be the chance of young players' (like Daren Liew, Ueda, even Momoto, and MAS' MD2) participation?

I don't appreciate the way of thinking of BWF management, and cannot believe that these thoughts were endorsed by the current chairman who was even an top ex-player....

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

don't change the TC /UC format

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's just a joke... or is it? I like it the way it is now, without any more changes.

Name:  PhotoGrid_1401119310481.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  76.7 KB

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the current system. Badminton is exiting as it is! At least for those who like the game. And people who don't like it, will not all of a sudden like it with another point-scheme...
    The product itself has to be promoted better. Changing the scoring is pointless...

(I like the Mixed triples!! Def worth to try in training for those who haven't done it before! It's really funny, fast, demanding...)

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mixed triples?! That's just the racket manufacturers' idea to increase racket sales from more racket clashes.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

two in the back, one at the net. funniest game ever!

@topic: PLEASE BWF, don't change the scoring system!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

even less moving

lazy badminton players...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The current system is the best.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Scoring or Otherwise – Athletes First

http://www.bwfbadminton.org/news_item.aspx?id=84332

What is this garbage? I read an article after the Thomas Cup asking the top players about changing the scoring system. Lin Dan said it wasn't good for the sport, Jan Jorgensen wen't as far to say it was idiotic, and Pullela Gopichand also said "Neither the players nor spectators are complaining, why is being talked about?"

so, WHY IS IT BEING TALKED ABOUT????

and on top of it, they're lying to themselves to prove points!

"Badminton Guatemala was held up as a success story, with association president Jose del Busto (below; addressing Member's Forum) detailing how they run country-wide coach education and grassroots programmes to scout talent youth. These players are recruited and relocate to the national training centre where all their training, educational, medical and other needs are met.

“Having this in place they can compete regionally and internationally and they are getting good results,” said del Busto, noting that London Olympics 2012 Men’s Singles quarter-finalist, Kevin Cordon, is a product of this system."

Kevin Cordon trained with the Spanish team before competing in those world championships. He is not a product of the national training center in Guatemala. He went abroad seeking professional coaching else where.

Why is Badminton the only sport changing **** around? The Tennis scoring system doesn't even make sense and makes games last up to 5 hours, but it's not being changed. in my opinion, badminton should have never changed from 15 points.

But this happening here is ridiculous. what are your thoughts?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheComedian View Post
    http://www.bwfbadminton.org/news_item.aspx?id=84332
    “Having this in place they can compete regionally and internationally and they are getting good results,” said del Busto, noting that London Olympics 2012 Men’s Singles quarter-finalist, Kevin Cordon, is a product of this system."
    lol, i just realized, Kevin cordon was not a quarter finalist at the olympic games :P he lost in the last 16. I didn't even see that

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tennis is already on tv and handing out million dollar checks to the winners: why would they have to change anything? It is also a stupid idea to try and copy tennis since it brings nothing new ... The one thing worth copying is is presenting the tour as a (single) travelling circus ...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by demolidor View Post
    Tennis is already on tv and handing out million dollar checks to the winners: why would they have to change anything? It is also a stupid idea to try and copy tennis since it brings nothing new ... The one thing worth copying is is presenting the tour as a (single) travelling circus ...
    but didn't tennis started out on tv writing million dollar checks, it grew over the years. Tennis went pro sport long before badminton did, so it's just further developed. and not once did they change the scoring system to attract more attention or publicity.

It's like lottery numbers; If you buy one set of numbers and keep them for years, you have a better chance of winning if you bought new ones every week. You know what I'm saying? It's not about the scoring system, it's about promotion, advertisements, and appreciation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheComedian View Post
    [url] The Tennis scoring system doesn't even make sense and makes games last up to 5 hours, but it's not being changed. in my opinion, badminton should have never changed from 15 points.

But this happening here is ridiculous. what are your thoughts?
    The tennis scoring system is in my view far more interesting than that of badminton. You have games of 4 points leading to sets of 6 games (or 7 with a tiebreak), and the best of 3 or 5 sets. Compare that with badminton's three games to 21. Serving in badminton is not an advantage like it is in tennis. In the original badminton scoring of 3 games to 15 a side only scored on their serve - why?

Imagine for a moment what it would be like if you could serve a shuttle with an overhead stroke from the baseline! Sounds crazy, right - but have you tried it? It sure changes things! I suggest you experiment with it some time for a bit of fun.

I don't think just changing the scoring system in badminton is enough. There are innumerable problems with marketing the sport, not least of which is getting TV coverage from a good angle where the dynamics can be appreciated. They are not when elevated high behind the rear court. A side-on view would be preferable in my opinion, and elevated slightly.

Some time ago weren't there professional trials of 5 x 11 games? I think that would be better an 3 x 21.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I agree changing scoring system is not the right way to go.

Firstly, why have BWF proposed to change this time?

What is it they would hope to acheive?

I note from the original article linked that they said they wanted to have a game that peaks more. With a game that peaks, you needs slow periods as well to build up to the peaks.

Shorten the number of points in a match and the number of swings in the game are gone.

It's a folly to extrapolate what happens in badminton leagues to the individual matches - team matches you have more chances for peaks from the individual matches adding up to a team score.

If the same scoring system is pushed into Superseries events and Olympics, I can't help thinking the finesse of the game will be reduced. BWF had better look back on when they shortened the mixed doubles match (I think not many people can remember that time). I don't think the players were very complimentary about it.

What I see is two different scoring systems occurring.

For team events, a scoring system that produces shorter matches is quite possible.

For individual events, OG, WC, SS, GPG etc, keep the same scoring system.
    Last edited by Cheung; 05-30-2014 at 09:23 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default BWF Reviews Scoring System

Well, I don't agree with saying that the tennis scoring system is better than badminton. I really don't like tennis as I've said in other threads. Tennis is slow, repetitive, and not as physically demanding as badminton. Not even close.

The scoring system of tennis begins at 15... For new viewers watching tennis, it would take like 20 minutes to figure out what's going on. If not figuring it out at all. I only know how to play tennis because of Mario Tennis lol.

This being said, the simplicity of a scoring system is not the problem nor the length of the match.

The original scoring system of badminton was the very best. Does anybody remember the 1995 world championships final (I think is was 95)? The had to carry Sun Jun off court because of cramps. Now that's what I'm talking about. That final was monumental. It had everything. It was 2 hours and ten minutes, but it was awesome. Couldn't take my eyes off the game all the way until the end.

So why was it ever changed? 21 is alright, but 15 points forced a player to win a least 2 consecutive rallies to TAKE points from their opponent. Now points are given away (more often). A top player would rarely give away a point in the old scoring system. Never two consecutive mistakes.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast