User Tag List

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It was 1997

Badminton's scoring system changed as did squash before it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, in 97 but the top players, the very best and fittest, couldn't finish the match! When was the last time you saw a top ten tennis player cramp out? I would like to know statistics of the match. Like distance covered, average shots per rally, how many shots in the whole match...etc. 2 hours and 10 minutes!

On the 21 rally point system the longest match I've seen was 1 hour and 40 minutes. And it was 30-29 in the 3rd game. And also, Peter Gade vs Taufik in the All England 2010. 20-22, 22-20, 22-20. Imagine if those matches were in the 15 point system.

The options they have released to choose from are all ridiculous. It's just ruining badminton.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They had to carry LCW of the court as well last year in the new system. The original thought was it would shorten matches/ make the duration more predictable and make it easier to negotiate tv slots but that backfired since we now have matches ranging from 20 minutes to an hour and a half + (and there is little interest period from television).
    Also the rally point system was introduced as the score could be stuck for minutes on end and was seen as boring/confusing for casual viewers ...

Tennis' increased popularity and $$$ stems from Olympic inclusion which jumpstarted the wide spread into (Eastern) Europe; it was already glamorous at that time and televised regularly, at least the Grand Slams. But indeed somewhere along the line it became more professional and much commercialized without changing the scoring format (the existence of the ATP probably has something/everything to do with it). Nowadays we are bombarded with just about any tennis tournament on Eurosport television (talk about overkill) but they ditched most of the WTA ones so there isn't much to look at anymore ...

But I've dug up and posted this info on tennis before; easily to be found with some clicks @bing/google ... Badminton's prize money seems to be on the level of (women's) tennis in the 1980's. It is inevitable it will keep increasing as it becomes more interesting for corporations to sponsor with increased wealth in middle-class Asia ... Then again what sports are middle-class Asia watching religiously? Seems to me there is more interest in playing than watching badminton ...

The order to remember is: tv came first, (bigger) sponsorships followed.
    Last edited by demolidor; 06-01-2014 at 10:29 AM.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Tennis was good because there were rivalries and personalities mixed in with a bit of glamour.

Bjorn Borg, Jimmy Connors, John McEnroe, Ivan Lendl, Martina Navratilova, Chris Evert, Martina Hingis, Boris Becker, Stefan Edberg, Steffi Graf.

Our top players need to show more passion in the winning. Look at Nadal now.

I thought the years Malaysian Open Men's doubles final was great. The behaviour added an extra storyline to the match. There was the game itself and the storyline. That should be played upon in the commentary on the next match.

BTW, when do we get to see Martina Hingis on a badminton court? I'd like to volunteer to be her partner...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stop talking about tennis already, it is SO boring to watch compared to badminton.
    The current scoring system is fine for spectators and players alike in my opinion. Any other scoring system feel like making the sport a joke. Look at table tennis now ...

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SigH-Max View Post
    Stop talking about tennis already, it is SO boring to watch compared to badminton.
    The current scoring system is fine for spectators and players alike in my opinion. Any other scoring system feel like making the sport a joke. Look at table tennis now ...
    Yes I/we can see a lot more table tennis than badminton on Eurosport as well . Your point was ... ?

Might not have to do with the scoring system at all but somehow they have negotiated their way into getting some airtime, not much or regularly but still (as opposed to practically none for badminton) ...
    Last edited by demolidor; 06-12-2014 at 04:13 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by demolidor View Post
    Yes I/we can see a lot more table tennis than badminton on Eurosport as well . Your point was ... ?
    Player complaints. After all, the sport is played by them.

Current spectators will probably say that the current point system is fine. Look at the TUC, it was more than fine.

Shorter sets will be prone to more upsets, and I don't like that as well. The current system has good balance.
    Last edited by SigH-Max; 06-12-2014 at 04:19 AM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes it might very well be the company that the BWF sold the [tv]media rights to is behind this idea (IMG). Hard to grow and increase the prize money with limited tv exposure ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://bwfbadminton.org/news_item.aspx?id=85879

BWF has decided to trial out a new scoring system.

5 sets of 11 points, no deuce.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Not having extra points in the fifth set is way wrong.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to start giving this a shot to see how our club games play out.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting. Neither the President, the Deputy President nor the Secretary General is from Asia.

And why are they having an online poll from the large fanbase for this 5x11 system? I think they should instead have an online poll on whether Lin Dan should be granted another wild card.
    Last edited by pcll99; 06-20-2014 at 12:04 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some details aren't in yet.

1. Will players be playing all 5 games and the winner is the one who won the most games? Or is it a best of 5 games?

2. How are the scores calculated? As per current or will there be tweaks?

5 games of 11 points could be fairly taxing on the stamina, assuming that all 5 games will be played and the winner is the player who won the most games.

Best of 5 could mean very short matches with the current points system.

At 11 points a game, it's fairly short. But to play all 5, it wouldn't be that short and could be tiring.

It would be interesting to see how such a system pans out.

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

think of it this way... it's like whoever first reaches 11 at the mid game interval in the current system wins a game

then whoever first reaches 22 at the end of the game wins another game

and so on, until at least 3 half games (under the current system) are won by one side to determine the winner

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

so really, if you have two sides who are unevenly matched like LCW vs Brice today, then the match will be shorter as LCW only has to win 33 points in total instead of 42

so this system will up the intensity of matches right off the start, and will be less demanding on stamina

hey, maybe this is a ploy by bwf to help lin dan and lee chong wei last longer till the olympics 2016 !!
    Last edited by visor; 06-20-2014 at 02:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought increasing the intensity of the games will also take a toll on the stamina and body. They might be forced to retire earlier instead.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to add that in our club, I frequently play best 2 out of 3, up to 11 points, 2 points clear winner for singles. That's only because I'm slow and old and a regular 21 point singles match would just about finish my day. Never have tried 11 points in a doubles match.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast