0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pcll99 View Post
    http://www.badzine.net/news/new-scor...il-open/31830/

New scoring system gets first try out in Brazil Open
    BY RAPHAEL SACHETAT AUGUST 6, 2014

The first day ...
    http://www.badzine.net/news/no-globa...m-trial/31267/

No global coverage for scoring system trial?
    BY DON HEARN JULY 2, 2014POSTED IN: NEWS

The Badminton World ...
    Just as a reminder, there is actually no need to cut and paste the text of Badzine articles. All content is available free of charge and restriction to all visitors to the website so linking keeps everyone happy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EvoCopter View Post
    Event,
    Did the Korean team try out the 5x11 system? How many of us had try it? I did several weeks ago and it was challenging.
    I don't know if the Korean team has tried it. The recent national school championships used the existing 3x21 system. The new Korean League has been more experimental. They have team ties consisting of two doubles and one singles match. In the first part of the round robin, in the spring, they had matches of 21, 21, and 15 but for the 2nd part in the last week, they went to 3x15 with extra points.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for the matches on 6 August in the Brazil Open, the shortest duration was 14 mins and the longest was 50 min. CMIIW.

http://bwf.tournamentsoftware.com/sp...3C2&d=20140806

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by event View Post
    I don't know if the Korean team has tried it. The recent national school championships used the existing 3x21 system. The new Korean League has been more experimental. They have team ties consisting of two doubles and one singles match. In the first part of the round robin, in the spring, they had matches of 21, 21, and 15 but for the 2nd part in the last week, they went to 3x15 with extra points.
    Thanks. I tried it (11 x 5) several weeks back and it was challenging. Tactics and strategy are different. The pace is quick and slow starters are punish. Hesitate and you're dead. In all, what you are good at will now have to be better. Your ability to adapt and change pace as the game go on is to your advantage and likewise your opponent would do the same.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for the matches on 6 August in the Brazil Open, the shortest duration was 14 mins and the longest was 50 min. CMIIW.

http://bwf.tournamentsoftware.com/sp...3C2&d=20140806
    Thanks for link, would be interesting to see a vid of this game to see how exciting the new system is
    Name:  score.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  4.8 KB

Does look like a few matches that went all the way to the last end lasted about 40minutes so I suppose it has hit it's intended target there.

Sabrina Jaquet in a 7 minute 4 ender today
    Last edited by craigandy; 08-08-2014 at 07:00 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here are the matches on 7 August.

http://bwf.tournamentsoftware.com/sp...3C2&d=20140807

The second last match is quite interesting. All five sets were played but yet the whole match was over in 12 mins.
    Last edited by pcll99; 08-08-2014 at 09:32 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here the matches on 7 August.

The second last match is quite interesting. All five sets were played but yet the whole match was over in 12 mins.
    haha, there must have been a problem with the timing process. Both of our examples including break times are surely bordering on impossible.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craigandy View Post
    haha, there must have been a problem with the timing process. Both of our examples including break times are surely bordering on impossible.
    yea, both examples seem impossible. Not even table tennis matches can be that short in duration.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here are the matches on 7 August.

I assume there was just an error (since that match wasn't assigned a court # on TournamentSoftware, and the program usually automatically starts a timer once you drag the match onto a court).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear active players on the forum, please share your experience in Brazil with the new scoring system with us! Would be very interesting to hear the first impressions from the players point of view...

(we have only tested it in training and it was bulls****. But anyway, training is a different thing than matches...))

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

got to see the Coca cola Astec IC in Jakarta.

I see the new scoring system is interesting. the first set is just the warming up. the score doesn't really represent the players. you can have a 11-2 but then struggle at the next sets. the 11 score also means much more time to rest and have a break. I see the players aren't as tired as in the 21 score system at the latter stages.

I think the duration is similar to the 21 score system. but I didn't find any matches to 5 sets that are longer than 1 hour.

from my point of view:
    1st set: warm up
    2nd-4th: real match
    4th or 5th: finishing.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any worse or better for you as a spectator?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really don't like the tampering with the scoring system. Personally I think that they have it right on the 21 x 3 with extra points. It gives a chance for slow starters to catch up and allows several changes of ascendancy in the sets as well as the tension of the extra points at 20 which I think makes the game interesting to watch. I have to agree with a few earlier views in that they need to get the broadcasting in to a state that will allow the game to be viewed in the best most exciting way and that is probably far more important than changing the scoring system.

The overhead rear view currently being the standard used by bwf on utube I find does not capture the speed and accuracy of badminton. I very much like the view low and slightly to the side. This view shows the high of the shuttle both going over the net (which is astonishing at times) and the overall hieght and depth of the shuttle. I would like to see this view used more often.

Another thing that has struck me is how these proposed systems will translate to club badminton. After all the bottom line is you need people playing to make all this viable. It seems likely at club level that we would play to 11 (assuming the 5 x 11 system). I think that would leave a lot of club players dissatisfied. Ok it is good for court turn around but with the errors and generally short rallies in the club games the games will be over in a matter of a few minutes. It could result in a lot of players losing interest and thereby bwf losing their fan base or perhaps the clubs will keep the existing 21 rally scoring system.

I would be very interested to hear views of people who have seen the scoring sytems in action or played games with it. Naturally all I have to go on right now is speculation. Does anyone know when we will get to see a match with the new trial systems on utube?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craigandy View Post
    Any worse or better for you as a spectator?
    the first set isn't too interesting, as it's more of a warming up and there are some players that make too much errors at the 1st set or have a slow start. but with 5 sets, it gives a room for improvement over the game. there are games where a player that easily lost the 1st and 2nd set fight back, some can win and others can at least drag on the game to the 5th set.

it's a new system so I think the players should get used to it.

I don't think it;s better or worse. it's still new, and I think it's pretty similar to the old 21 scoring system. Maybe the difference is the time is much better controlled, as it rarely drags on to beyond 1 hour.

and I think the time is the problem. maybe 11 points are too fast, and because there are no deuce, it is even faster. maybe there should be a deuce system or prolong the scores to 13-15. with the 11 score right now, it really gives the edge to fast and "not so many errors" players. defensive and slow starters aren't favored.

but maybe that's interesting, as we will see more fast and speedy games. where the players continuously attack each other rather than just be defensive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the downside is maybe on weak vs strong players match. Those matches can end very quickly and in a very humilating score.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by opikbidin View Post
    the downside is maybe on weak vs strong players match. Those matches can end very quickly and in a very humilating score.
    Thanks for the detailed reply,interesting.
    With regards to the above quoted I think nearly all of us have to deal with that from time to time (maybe barring the top ten pro's), no matter what scoring system!

What you say about time for improvement, that's what I thought the main benefit to this system. Sometimes the tides change and there would be real potential of rocky-style comebacks from 2 sets and a few points down.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"In recent years, the increasing time span of matches and long lead-up to the end of games and matches - especially where there's a big points difference – has somewhat compromised the level of excitement.

The 5x11 scoring system is aimed at creating more excitement and interest while reducing the time which matches take to be completed."

Hm, usually I am good coming out of the gate but bad at finishing, I wonder if this scoring system will help me a bit if I can capitalize early games in such cases and hope to put more pressure on and possibly take another set afterwards.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast