BWF Reviews Scoring System

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by pcll99, May 20, 2014.

1. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    The Badminton World Federation membership will open a discussion about alternative options to the current scoring system at its annual Member’s Forum in New Delhi, India, on Friday.

It will be the first formal discussion on this topic since 2006 when BWF introduced a rally point scoring system (21x3) which remains in place today. The world-governing body will be considering the matter as it seeks to continue innovative developments to improve badminton in all contexts – for fans, television, live streaming and for players at every level.

http://www.bwfbadminton.org/news_item.aspx?id=84033

http://sports.qq.com/a/20140520/040849.htm

should we have a poll ourselves?

#1 pcll99, May 20, 2014
    Last edited: May 20, 2014
  2. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

yes
    poll would be interesting..maybe after some arguments pro and contra

unfortunately it is not discussed about 11x5

i think 9 points is very very short :/ and 15x3 also too short for my taste

#2 OhSearsTower, May 20, 2014
  3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    - Two games of 21 (current setting) and the third game to be played for 11 points (two points clear setting; decisive point at 14-all).

- Three games of 15 points (setting at 19).

- Five games of 9 points (setting with two points clear; decisive point at 12-all).

If you can do two games of 21 points and a third game at eleven points, just make it 5 games of 11 points. The BWF are supposed to make it simpler for viewers...

Third option should be struck off - they did 7 x5 games before and it was crap. Very one dimensional games

4. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    for three games of 15 points, would they have intervals mid game?

#4 pcll99, May 20, 2014
  5. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    for me, i think 5 games of 11 points is better than 5 games of 9 points.

6. phili

phili Regular Member

I'd like to see 5 games of 12 points (decisive point at 16 all). After every odd set there should be a short break to change sides and get a bit to drink (about 1 - 1.5 minutes) without any coaching permitted. After every even set the break can be a bit longer (2 - 3 minutes) plus coaching is allowed.

7. fauci

fauci Regular Member

I hope they aren't trying to do something because they want to show that they're doing something, hopefully not killing the sport.

8. Mr. Epic

Mr. Epic Regular Member

Student
    I like it the current way and hope that the 21x3 scoring system is retained.

9. james001

james001 New Member

Student
    What are the arguments for changing the system?

5 games to 9 seems way too short and any slow starters are at a disadvantage. I think it would be too much stop-start as well.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's the scoring system that is keeping viewing figures down, I think it's just that it's not exciting enough for the average person, and the scoring isn't going to change that.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    why are we changing the scoring system every 5-10 years? do these jokers have anything better to do? perhaps badminton popularity is not great, but the problem is not the scoring system but the presentation and the image of the game.

11. swunk

swunk Regular Member

spot on!!
    i hope the whole idea of this new scoring doesnt live

12. fauci

fauci Regular Member

Yeah, badminton won't suddenly show up on American or European TVs just because the match becomes shorter or more intense.

13. Littlejohn

Littlejohn Regular Member

Lazy Bum
    Does seem strange to want to change the scoring system....again...as james001 said it would be interesting to hear the arguments for desiring another switch (are bwf deciding that the present system has failed in its aim?)
    As for people saying the problems are the presentation and image of the game, well maybe, but we have heard these arguments for the past 10 or more years, and very few sensible or feasible suggestions on ways to change the presentation or the image

14. fauci

fauci Regular Member

I think the BWF should rather review the quality of their match videos in order to display the sport on TV as close to a spectator's view as they can. Anyone who has ever watched competitive badminton in person would know the sport is totally different from the flat game shown on TV. Sound recording is also rather poor in most cases. They should ensure consistency of quality productions in all their major tournaments.

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    exactly.

sound is easier to fix, there are a few tournament in which the audio quality is much improved and immersed. the issue is there is no consistency.

viewing angle is terrible. there is no worse angle than the rear view. everything is compressed into a flat area.

people sit down in front of the TV and they don't feel engaged into the quality of the game, how do we expect better viewership?

As an example, there is nothing more boring than a game of baseball (sorry), but in between the lack of action, they managed to make it look somewhat interesting and engaging, it makes people want to stick around and watch. similarly for superbowl. 5% action and 95% people just walking around.

we have such a better and more exciting sport and they managed to screw it up so badly with the TV presentation.

16. fauci

fauci Regular Member

I hope it's not yet another political measure for distributing medals evenly. Look at table tennis. Those changes are killing the sport itself.

17. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    I prefer to retain the 21x3 scoring rules please...
    if it is not broken, why fix it?

the oldest system (15x3 or 21x3 but with server advantage) requires huge amount of stamina, so it is not only about skill, but stamina is also tested. the strategy revolves around trying to make your opponent tired

the current system (21x3 without server / service advantage), requires skill and burst of stamina. less focus on conserving stamina, can be more about winning as fast as they can thus less time needed to finish the game (which is why BWF change it, so it is "viewer" and TV friendly).

the new poll:
    1. 21x2 and 11x1
    this is not bad, considering that third set is the hardest round of the game where both sides are already tired (or the winner of the second set dead tired to win the round), third round might give more opportunity for the winner for the second set to catch up while they are still on fire (riding their success on the second set) or make the winner of the first set to destroy their opponent since they are conserving their energy

2. 15x3, no, just no, from 42 points to 30 points, really? that short? I will gonna stick to 21x3 rules even if they change to this one

3. 9x5, so if we win 3 sets (27 points) that's it? wow, that's like.. the most stupid thing I've ever seen. from 42 to 27 just wow, and how short is that, 9??? really, 9??? how long they expect the game will be? 15 minutes?

18. Line & Length

Line & Length Regular Member

In the local leagues last season, we played a "11x2/15" 3rd set. Personally, I felt it was about right. Long enough to avoid being completely random, yet short enough to avoid delaying the overall match.

The other 2 options sound dreadful.

I think the main motivation behind the previous change was to reduce the variation in match length. A truncated final set would be another step in that direction.

19. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    This sounds like a one court match for the leagues.