0 Thread(s)

Rule 8.1.1 should apply, no?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alien9113 View Post
    Rule 8.1.1 should apply, no?
    Ahh, I see, so that's what it is. They make this rule book so confusing. They should state that Rule 8.1.1 should apply explicitly instead of implicated. As an official, this does not help us at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, it is confusing. It took me a while to realize that one needs to combine the two rule books for it to make sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5x11 also used in 2014 Polish Open this week:

http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sp...9-10606E5D1C18

WS, btw,won by Panuga Riou of England.

smautf

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

alright, i've been reviewing a lot of matches in this scoring system. when it first started, players were giving it mostly their all. seeing scores like: 11-10, 11-9, 10-11, 10-11, 11-10. also some seeds lost out in a sudden death in the fifth or forth set.

now looking at that score above, say it was Son Wan Ho vs Marc Zwiebler. Marc won the match, for example. looking at the world rankings that shouldn't happen. if there was any form of deuce at all, do you think it would have panned out with Marc coming out on top? Marc serving 10 all, Son tries to make a tight net shot, falls into the net, and that's it....

Now, this scoring system has evolved into players just throwing games away. now you can see scores like: 11-8, 11-7, 0-11, 11-6. That third game clearly wasn't fought for.

In both of these scenarios, i believe it's a bad thing for our sport. it's stressful, and nobody wants to see players throwing sets away because they know they have FIVE sets to play with.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:  s607.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  18.2 KB

Here is another example. the reverse of what I said above. the 5th game ending in a sudden death is just bull crap. The African player had a real chance at qualifying. in my opinion, he was robbed of the opportunity. If it was to 21, he could have won this match. but he lost to the worse player due to the scoring system.

And the 4th game was thrown away...
    Last edited by TheComedian; 10-07-2014 at 11:06 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheComedian View Post
    Name:  s607.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  18.2 KB

Here is another example. the reverse of what I said above. the 5th game ending in a sudden death is just bull crap. The African player had a real chance at qualifying. in my opinion, he was robbed of the opportunity. If it was to 21, he could have won this match. but he lost to the worse player due to the scoring system.

And the 4th game was thrown away...
    agree. Sudden death at the 5th set is crap for the sport.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by clawhammers View Post
    Aside from the duration it would take, it would seem interesting to be involved in a long match. "Service over, 168-167". But unfortunately tournaments may take forever to finish if that were the case.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    agree. Sudden death at the 5th set is crap for the sport.
    You know, the whole reason they changed the scoring system was to create more moments of climax to attract viewers. if a match is 2-2 and 10-10, and two of those sets were thrown away and a player loses the match from a mistake he wouldn't normally make due to "do or die" pressure, it ends up being ANTI-climactic doesn't it...

ridiculous.

the guy who is responsible for this scoring system is either huffing glue or should be diagnosed with some form of mental illness. it's like they WANT to kill the sport.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm watching this match (Rajiv VS Ajay) and this should be a close match. sure ajay won in straight sets. but the match was less than 30 min! The stamina training is now completely removed from the program. why train stamina if the match is over in 20min. I can run for 20min no problem. This scoring system is bullcrap. they better stop with it or i think a lot of players will retire. no one want to play with scoring system.

three games to 11 creates 20 min matches and so setting? I can't think of one positive thing to say about it.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XODAxODE5MTA4.html

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ Perhaps so that older players like LCW, LD, etc can keep on competing?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Will having to train at full speed for matches mean more injuries?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMHO, the players got tired not by playing in the 5 sets of 11pts game, the players got tired for the countless times they are required to carry their bags and change side after a short 11 pt game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think its simple as this,

Tennis is popular because its popular in America and Europe. Badminton isnt becasue its predominantly asain sports.

How did watching football and tennis became so popular in asian countries? Because its cool to do what western countries do. Its cool to copy western cutlure, clothes, brands, chain of restaurants etc etc etc.

Badminton will only ever become cool if western developed countries start to take it seriously.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheComedian View Post
    alright, i've been reviewing a lot of matches in this scoring system. when it first started, players were giving it mostly their all. seeing scores like: 11-10, 11-9, 10-11, 10-11, 11-10. also some seeds lost out in a sudden death in the fifth or forth set.

now looking at that score above, say it was Son Wan Ho vs Marc Zwiebler. Marc won the match, for example. looking at the world rankings that shouldn't happen. if there was any form of deuce at all, do you think it would have panned out with Marc coming out on top? Marc serving 10 all, Son tries to make a tight net shot, falls into the net, and that's it....

Now, this scoring system has evolved into players just throwing games away. now you can see scores like: 11-8, 11-7, 0-11, 11-6. That third game clearly wasn't fought for.

In both of these scenarios, i believe it's a bad thing for our sport. it's stressful, and nobody wants to see players throwing sets away because they know they have FIVE sets to play with.

Yeah you are right, i was watching the dutch open yesterday and the players were giving up on games so quickly even if the opponent was only 3 or 4 points ahead. that would never happen in the 21 scoring system. and its painful to wwatch who is winning if the score is 10 all in the last game. its less drama than the 21 score system in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This scoring system seems very badly thought out. I don't think it actually gives enough time for Tension to build up during a game. Sport should be about highs and lows and come backs as well as one sided victories but within the 11 points there is so little time for any of this to develop. It seems to rather defeat the object of changing it. The fact that the there is no two point margin at the end of the games (especially the 5th game) makes everything very predictable. While this is great for tv scheduling it is very bad for sport. The there is no point making changes to the sport which present it in a much more boring and predictable way and then try and launch it on tv in a big way....

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12