Start Clamp for Crosses? or Not?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by amrit88, May 21, 2014.

1. amrit88

amrit88 Regular Member

Hi there,

Should a starting clamp be used for the first cross or should the first cross start from a starting knot? I have strong few rackets and i find sometime at high tension the starting clamp tears the string when i release it.

2. amrit88

amrit88 Regular Member

Hi there,

Should a starting clamp be used for the first cross or should the first cross start from a starting knot? I have strung few rackets and i find sometimes at high tension the starting clamp tears the string when i release it.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    whatever works for you. i never understand the purpose of a starting clamp. seems that if a starting knot is good enough, why add one extra step?

4. amrit88

amrit88 Regular Member

Hi Kwun,

I just recently started stringing (3 weeks). Its just the way i was taught be a All England Yonex stringer. Unfortunately he is on a holiday so i cannot contact him for another 2 weeks.

Is it oK to use a starting knot at high tension(30lbs+)?

Another thing i found that using thin strings like bg 66UM sink in the grommet. Do i need to double knot it?

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    avoiding the sinked knot by using a starting clamp is just going around the problem.

if one is pulling 30lbs, and it sinks the knot, and at the same time, the knot doesn't sink when using a starting clamp, that means when you are done with tying the knot, there is less than 30lbs of tension on the string.

if there is indeed 30lbs on the string, then the knot will sink as well.

so if there is tension loss already, might as well lower the tension when you pull on the starting knot, or double pull all together.