NEWS : Roslin lone Malaysian in singles

Discussion in 'All England 2004' started by kwun, Mar 13, 2004.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Badminton/All-England Championships: Roslin lone Malaysian in singles
    S. Selvam in Birmingham

New Straits Times

BIRMINGHAM, Mar 13:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FORMER World No 1, enjoying a bullish run, wants to avenge younger brother Hafiz’s defeat at the All England badminton championships.
    In fact, Roslin wants to ensure the men’s singles title remains in the family.

Both Roslin and Hafiz met Danish opponents in the form of Kenneth Jonassen and Anders Boesen, but while Roslin triumphed, Hafiz was made to look second class as he fell to a 15-4, 15-8 defeat.

And with Roslin scheduled to play another Dane and former World No 1 Peter Gade Christensen in the quarter-final, revenge is uppermost on his mind.

"I want to avenge Hafiz’s defeat in the championships, and hopefully, will be able to keep the title in the Hashim family for another year," said Roslin.

But that did not seem a possibility in the third round as Roslin, crushed 15-7 in the first game, trailed Jonassen 5-14 in the second game.

Roslin saved three match points, and clawed his way, to the amazement of the fans at the National Indoor Arena in Birmingham, to draw level and force deuce.

Jonassen, obviously rattled, and to a great extent distressed, crumbled and Roslin took the match 17-14.

In the final game, both players matched each other blow for blow but Jonassen, raining powerful smashes and a tight net game, surged to a 14-10 lead.

But again the Dane ran into a brick wall to allow Roslin to draw level.

This time, Jonassen refused to set to three points, but the outcome was no different as Roslin sealed his place in the last eight with a 15-14 win to complete one of the greatest comebacks in the history of the championships.

"This is the first time I have found myself in such a situation. But as far as I was concerned, 14 is not the last point in the match, 15 is.

"As such, I just kept retrieving whatever Jonassen threw at me and the plan worked. He made mistakes and I got the points."

But Roslin thanked teammates, the men’s doubles pair of Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah for the win.

"They were in a similar situation at the next court but when they won, I was inspired to do the same, added Roslin.

"Thanks to them, I am still in the tournament. “And with the quarter-final tie billed as a clash of former World No 1s, Roslin was unfazed with the prospect of taking on Gade.

"As long as I prepare thoroughly, it does not matter whom I meet in the quarter-final. If it’s Chen Hong, I will prepare accordingly, and now that it is Gade, I will prepare accordingly as well.

"I am more concerned about my own preparations.

"And if you want to win the title, it does not matter whom you play. You just have to set your sight on beating everyone."