Courts Manners and Etiquette in international players

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by allthatfog, May 22, 2014.

1. allthatfog

allthatfog Regular Member

student
    I find myself generally despising any player that does not have good conduct on court. This varies from any level up to the world elite. Often people associated bad manners from the country they are from, but it is actually less the country but more of yourself. Before, many people thought that the Asian countries were more trashy, especially China and Japan, but the late trend does not support this. Boe/Mogensen (though I am a big fan of them) are terribly trashy and they are from Denmark.

List of people I find with good conduct:

-Lin Dan
    -Chen Long
    -Tommy Sugiarto
    -Hans-Kristian Vittinghus
    -Jan Jorgensen
    -Hendra Setiawan
    -Dionysus Rumbaka

I expect many people to be ridiculed that Lee Chong Wei is not on the list, despite being a "true champion". However, LCW rarely apologizes for net cords, he stares down opponents (one of the worst) and he questions line calls much more than others. Now will you still think LCW should be called "true champion" and other praise? Winning a World Championship, IMO is not as important as possessing a gentlemanlike respect for your opponent.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Japan? I have never remember any Japanese players to behave badly, can you name any?

Chinese don't really either, they might be reserved and quiet, but aside from a few outburst from Lin Dan, whom have we that have really bad manners?

Denmark has quite a few, you have already named the worst ones.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I like outbursts. Gives the game more personality as makes the player more marketable.

I can't remember any Japan player having outbursts.

I remember Camilla Martin not having the best of manners. But then again, is that an advantage or disadvantage for marketing the game.

Why should LCW apologise for net cords ? Players deliberately practice hitting the net cord to win the point!

4. Steve the noob

Steve the noob Regular Member

Back when LD was younger, his manners and etiquette in defeat were disappointing to say the least.. Although he's gotten better now (probably because he doesn't lose often..)

5. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

No women!!!

6. allthatfog

student
    I'm not sure but word goes around that Japan doesn't have much manners. I personally haven't seen it either, probably because we haven't seen Japanese players in Superseries semis or finals often. (other than Endo/Hawakaya)

I don't necessarily seen as a net shot cord, but when a smash catches the tape and goes over.. no real chance of getting it back. But Chen Long as you may have seen always raises his racquet and apologizes. I also really like it when he gives thumbs up for good plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVwb0TMjb3Q

Check out this thumbs-up from Sugiarto at 33:58

And sorry Alan, I haven't been up to date in the women's disciplines so far :S

7. phili

phili Regular Member

Lin Dan is questionable as well, oftentimes he is blowing his nose onto the carpet.

8. speedyJT

speedyJT Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Would like to add Marc Zwiebler to the round.

9. allthatfog

student
    yea sure! sorry to have missed him

10. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

I would nominate Yuka Kusunose from Japan. She's not a known name, I believe she isn't on the Japan national team (last I heard at least). I had the opportunity to umpire for her match at the US Open. She was just all smiles every time, no matter what happened. Never argued with calls, or anything, win or lose, she did it with a big smile on her face.

I've heard some stories about some of the players above that are listed. But I won't say anything about that.

11. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Could you clarify your opinion of bad etiquette? Sometimes the passion to win and competiveness can be misconstrued.

12. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Lin Dan? :O
    Are you kidding?

I would like to add to the list:
    Boonsak Ponsana
    Hu Yun
    Thien Minh Nguyen

13. allthatfog

student
    you are right, but I think good conduct also means playing your best and enjoying the game. You can have a profound passion for the game and have a strong desire to win, but don't let that interfere with your behaviour on court! Many of the World's top players do not yell on court, or rarely. I believe good conduct means going the extra step. I'm not saying yelling is bad, but sometimes that can be confused with an attempt of intimidation if you let it out too much.

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    The truth of the matter

The truth of the matter is to detect if a player is trying deliberately to upset his/her opponent(s). Often, we see it at many matches.

If he/she is; then IMHO, it is not good sportsmanship and it is for him/her to distract/disturb his/her opponent(s)' concentration.

It's his/her game-plan to win by breaking his/her opponent(s)' concentration.

Should LCW apologises for net cord?
    No way, he trains to win points by doing it that way. :):):)

15. 0ozafo0

0ozafo0 Regular Member

The player with best manners?
    Ratchanok Intanon
    Lovely would be the only word that is accurate in describing her presence on court.
    Worst Manners?
    Mathias Boe + Cartsen Mogenson
    Joachim Fisher-Nielsen is quite bad sometimes, really intense person, not sure if it's malicious but he acts quite aggresively

16. BaoQingWang

BaoQingWang Regular Member

Profesional
    Peter and Chris from ENG, they too have bad attitude and sports manners when they are on courts

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Are there any players from the UK with good attitude?

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I don't remember any players from Thailand or Japan with bad attitude. Indonesia/Malaysia/China/Korea are also not bad. The nations with worst offenders seems to be from Denmark and UK.

19. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    They still think they own the world in their subconscious minds.

20. visor

visor Regular Member

I think the main reason (but this doesn't excuse them one bit, although we can empathize with them), is that players from UK and DEN (and Canada, etc) have to fully support themselves in the sports profession.

Unlike the badminton powerhouses like CHN, INA, JPN, MAS, THA where the state supports the players.

Hence, self supporting players must be very seriously dedicated, passionate, aggressive, and intense in order to survive the struggle of the sport and competition. Think Fischer-Nielsen, Boe/Mo, etc.

If they didn't have that strong personality, they wouldn't make it to the top.