Graded pegboard system

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by noeltd, May 24, 2014.

1. noeltd

noeltd New Member

Software Programmer
    Hi All,

My club are currently considering introducing a graded pegboard system, basically single pegboard with 40(ish) players graded into 3 groups. I've searched the internet and found very little in the way of examples that cover all the aspects of it, also searched this forum where again information seems very thin on the ground.

So, do any of you have experience playing in a club using graded system, and if so, what system did you use and how was the pegboard managed?

Also, are there particular pros/cons when compared against the 'normal' pick from next 6/7 approach?

Thank you in advance.

Noel

2. Line & Length

Line & Length Regular Member

There was a slightly more general thread a couple of years ago, mainly revolving about a 'top-court' idea. It discussed gradings/pegboards.

A graded system was trialed at a club of mine a few years ago. It lasted 3 sessions. To be fair, this was because the individuals who 'devised' it, did so for their own convenience. Even so, I don't feel that grading and a single pegboard mix well at all. It's all too easy for people from the highest or lowest grade to get stuck at the front of the queue. Either they can't pick or they pick the 12th person back...

If grading is necessary, consider multiple peg-boards. I don't know how many courts you have, but if it's an odd number, you can split the time on the odd court (i.e. alternate games from each pegboard).

Also, if you're worried about those on the border between grades, you can mix the sessions about. For example, say there are 3 groups. One session could be A&B together, the other C. Next time A on their own with B&C together.

I don't know what the 'ability distribution' is like across your 40 players. There will usually be conflicting demands to keep the groups roughly the same size, but to keep the abilities close. I'd recommend one of the following:

> 2 groups (A & B). One week 'all together', then next as 2 pegboards.
    > 3 groups (A, B & C). One week A&B together C alone, the next A alone, B&C together.

Good luck.

3. noeltd

noeltd New Member

Software Programmer
    Thanks taking the time to reply. The skill range within the club is from 'local league' standard to good standard club player. We do seem to be leaning toward trialing system using some form of 3 graded groups with allocated courts ( we've got 4 courts, so probably biggest group would use 2 courts ), full details of how this will work aren't fully defined yet though. Interested if anyone has feedback on that or other variation on it.

Thanks in advance.

4. Line & Length

Which group would be the largest? Be careful if it's the weakest group. Otherwise, it may come across as "We're happy to take your money, but the 1st team don't want to touch you with a barge pole". Personally, I would recommend that the strongest and weakest groups were similar in size.

Also, be careful how you will deal with those on the boundaries between the groups. The weakest player in the strongest group will lose most of their games if that group doesn't play with the mid group and so on. Consider merging groups, e.g. A on their own 1 week and A&B together the next.

Whatever you choose, there will be an unhelpful about of politics. Go out of your way to be open and make sure everyone gets their say. If it is perceived that the grading is for the convenience of 1 group above another, the damage won't be repairable.

Good luck. Let us know what you tried and how it went.

5. TheComedian

TheComedian Regular Member

Badminton Player/Coach
    I'm not exaclty sure what your talking about... but at my club back home we had a singles ladder. so, there would be four or five people in a group. play the matches out, the one with the most wins moves up 4 spots on the ladder, the 2nd moves up two, the 3rd stays where he's at, the 4th moves down one, and the 5th moves down 2. the level of players will divide themselves after a few nights. new players start at the bottom. I thought it was a cool way of doing things. we also had a doubles ladder.

6. Tweeter

Tweeter Regular Member

Software Engineer
    You should have a look at my BadBoard system,

http://www.badboard.net

It covers grading players and has configurable rules on how these gradings are applied,

regards,
    Tweeter

7. Line & Length

[MENTION=110244]Tweeter[/MENTION]: Nicely configured application. A few questions

Do you have plans for results to feedback into gradings?
    Presume that the user can pause auto-pick to insert their own picks, then resume auto-pick?
    Can if handle singles on sparsely populated club-nights?

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
  9. Tweeter

Tweeter Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I'm afraid I don't understand your question. Do you mean if someone queries their grading?

Correct, there's manual override at all times if required.

Singles matches are not catered for in the system. There is plans for this though in a future release, however I don't have a timeframe at the moment,

regards,
    Tweeter

10. Line & Length

[MENTION=7]Cheung[/MENTION]. Think it was this one:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/96305-Club-Rota-System-by-Standard-Ideas
    [MENTION=110244]Tweeter[/MENTION]. Sorry I didn't make the question clear. I was asking if you could get the s/w to automatically update grades based upon past performances? For example, if a grade '4' routinely beats people in higher grades, could that grade improve? Would go some way to minimizing politics/disagreements.

I did a bit of work on adapting the Elo rating system to badminton. Bit cumbersome to do by hand, but if you have an application recording every result, it would be a doddle to maintain good ratings.

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...stem-to-rank-players-within-a-club?highlight=

11. Tweeter

Tweeter Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Currenly no it doesn't, but it's certainly an idea worthy of consideration for a future release,

regards,
    Tweeter