shaving down grip size

Discussion in 'Grip' started by allthatfog, May 25, 2014.

1. allthatfog

allthatfog Regular Member

student
    does anybody have a way that you shave down the wood to make it thinner? my friends have used an old fashioned knife but that could risk taking out big chunks of wood. Another suggested sandpaper but that while creating smoothness will take a lot of time. Anyone have an effective method that they use?

2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
  3. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Sandpaper should do it as long as you use a block.

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

In all honesty, there is too much chance of introducing curvature if you rely on hand tools (as I found out to my cost).

The ideal tool is a surface planer or jointer, but not everybody just happens to have either of these knocking around in their garage...

5. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I`ve tried a sanding block. You can almost never obtain the consistency required across the length of any surface. The tool I linked to at least allows you to pull evenly and maintain consistent pressure all along the handle length. The blade being at the very end of the tool allows you to scrape or shave end-to-end in one stroke.

6. Cillu

Cillu Regular Member

Racquet Tech
    It's very hard to actually get all the bevels consistent with each other. If the grip is too big, try taking off the base grip and then wrapping a layer of cushion wrap and then an overgrip on top. This is the method I used to make my G4 feel like a G5. If it's still too big... it might be time to buy another racquet that has a smaller grip size.

7. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
  8. wannaliquorbox

wannaliquorbox Regular Member

@ op...in vancouver, just pop into lee valley tools to pick up a miniature planer, sanding block and a caliper, and maybe small clamps. done it all, really not worth the trouble. in order to do a proper job (retaining straight edges and bevels), need lots of patience. aside from exceptionally small hands, g5/g6 should eb small enough to suit most people. unless you bought the wrong grip size, say g3, when you should be using g5, would suggest leaving your handle alone, and just make sure that you are gripping the racket correctly.

9. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

If G6 handles were available as a spare part, I'd have bought 50 of em!

10. allyjack110

allyjack110 Regular Member

University Graduate (History)
    That sounds like a good idea. The overgrip would need to be quite thick, otherwise the feel might be too harsh for your hand. There is always the possibility of buying an ultra thin replacement grip. I know that Babolat sell one called the 'skin feel', which is 1.55mm thick

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You are a rarity in England - most people there use a larger grip diameter.

12. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Tell me about it - most Yonex stop at G4 over here (but Victor have been canny with this latest cycle: everything is G5, and the BS12L is G6).

13. allyjack110

allyjack110 Regular Member

University Graduate (History)
    I have noticed a change though in recent years. It used to be the case that most YY rackets destined for the UK market came supplied with the much larger G3 handle. However, I have noticed that a lot of the newer frames are now coming supplied with the G4 handle, which I much prefer. It is a lot easier to 'build-up' a grip than to make a grip smaller. I'm pretty certain that the I-force comes as a G5.

14. allthatfog

allthatfog Regular Member

student
    the thick grip size standard is a pain to towel grip users who also like it thin...(me)

15. TigerSmash

TigerSmash Regular Member

I think sanding it slowly with a block is best, I'm sure there are actual measurements somewhere, anyone got dimensions? For me, g5 with the standard yonex racket grip and one ac102 is just perfect. With a g4 I have to strip off the racket grip and apply two layers of ac102, but you can feel the corners of the wood...annoying!

16. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Surely just replacing the wood is easier? I did that fine but never tried sanding grips as I.wasn't confident of getting good results.

17. TigerSmash

TigerSmash Regular Member

Ive never tried that, but is it just removing the screw and breaking off the handle? I'm guessing you have the glue it back on? I would feel safer with sanding, at least there will be some wood to play with! :)

18. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Dremel the cone and wood off. Sand. Gorrilla glue.

Sorry.to suggest an alternative. I'd probably go with a plane for plan a, I'll ask my brother as he is big into woodwork. I use thin grips so didn't need to pursue this when I looked into it way back when. Good luck.