Malaysian Retail. How negotiable are prices?

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by Maklike Tier, May 25, 2014.

1. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Hey peeps,

Currently in talks with a Malaysian shop who has some goodies I'm interested in.

For one particular racket they came back to me with a price of RM599, which is essentially Yonex-level retail here in Australia - a place not known for it's affordability.

I was wondering, if you were a local, what would you end up paying for a racket that had a sticker price of RM599?

2. IvanT

IvanT Regular Member

Student
    First off, what racket is it?

I don't really know what I'd end up paying for a racket that had a sticker price of RM599, because those stickers on the rackets (more specifically, the racket handle) have outdated prices. Those stickers are mostly used to trick the consumer into thinking that, this racket with the sticker price of RM899 is being sold for RM5XX, making the customer think that it is a very good deal, whereas RM5XX is actually the regular price.

There are a few well known stores who sell their rackets at the best below retail pricing. Some even have Facebook pages, and you can view their prices there and also deal there and get the racket/other stuff shipped to you (in Malaysia).

I can recommend a few good stores for you with the best prices, if you're interested. They're all well known stores that a lot of Malaysians flock to for the best prices.

For RM590 I can get a Voltric Z Force II, with free string and grip. And they'll usually string it for you if you want. I've been to other shops that sell a Z Force II at RM600+ with string and grip. After I told them I can get the same for RM590, they told me they can do RM590--but without string and grip. So it all comes down to which shop you're going.

3. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Well, that example is for one of the top end 2014 Wilson rackets, so I'm guessing RM599 is wishful thinking.

Wilson is difficult to find almost anywhere, so I was surprised to see it in Malaysia.

4. Porky

Porky Regular Member

Rule of thumb....if u are visiting a retail outlet inside a shopping mall, chances are the price listed is mostly non-negotiable.....but if u visiting a retail shop which is standalone along some street, those shops usually are very bargainable and u be quite surprise how much they can deduct from the RRP price listed. Anyway no harm asking the boss/assistant whether is there any further discount from the price listed....they will surely entertain the queries... :)

5. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Yeah I know they'll negotiate, it's just that I don't know how much, and I can't be bothered playing charades to get the best price.

If I whine enough, what % discount off retail to you think I would expect? 10%? 25%?

6. fiq_axis

fiq_axis Regular Member

usually if the racket is myr300 and above, the discount must be up to 25%-35% depend on brand. :)

7. tamilsindhu

tamilsindhu Regular Member

Hi Ivan,
    Can u recommend some good badminton shop at JB Malaysia. Thanks in advance

8. wey123

wey123 New Member

Engineer
    Hi Tamilsindhu,
    You can visit Permai Sport or Honly Trading

9. calyon

calyon Regular Member

none
    Hello IvanT. I am planning to visit KL in around 3-4 months. Could u please recommend me some stores where i can get very good deals/prices. I think i'll be staying around bukit bintang. Not confirmed yet.

#9 calyon, Nov 25, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  10. calyon

calyon Regular Member

none
    Anyone know good badminton shops around bukit bintang where i can get good deals? and not fake rackets?

11. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Hi Guys : Any of you want to go Honly Trading together , going to get Li ning stuff, can pm me!

12. hola4

hola4 Regular Member

I just got a Nanoray 900 from Honly at RM399 with string(BG66U) and grip. Very good price. :D