Would like advice on a racket :)

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by briskx, May 26, 2014.

1. briskx

briskx Regular Member

1. How often do you play, how serious are you? 1 or 2 times a week. I am serious and want to get back and looking to get into some good clubs. Used to play solidly many years ago but been a bit off an on. Looking to play couple times a week and get better.
    2. What style of player are you? (Aggressive smasher, net player ...) I like to drop and smash, I do this much more than dainty at the net shots.
    3. Do you care much about durability or is it all about performance? I do care about durabilitiy, I don't have endless money at least 6 months out of it..
    4. How much money do you want to spend? No more than 70 english pounds or $100.

Thanks for any help

2. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

Hello! Maybe if you could specify more information, like head-heavy preference, singles or doubles player, more people could be helpful. I don't shop in the UK but I actually looked up this site, www.directbadminton.co.uk/Selector.aspx and I chose your stats and price range.
    Some of the rackets I might think would would want are:
    Yonex Nanoray 700RP (Flash Red, 99.99 pounds, haha)
    I recommend this because it's a trusted brand and VERY popular series. It is a stiff racket with a head-heavy balance.

Ashaway Viper XT900 (black with yellow accents and some gold, 69.99 pounds)
    This is a cool racket because, at 91 grams, it looks like my backup racket (Winex Kevlar Power 555, but gold instead of silver; look it up!). The specifications are similar. It sort of plays like a less-stiff Yonex MusclePower racket. AFTER A CLOSER LOOK: it is the same racket. The paint job is nearly identical, and the grommet setup is the same. I own the 96-hole version, but I can give you the playability and such. The racket is stiff, and the repulsion feels great. What it lacks in control is made up somewhat by its power.

Carlton Vapour Trail S-Lite (Black-Yellow, 64.99 pounds)
    I recommend this because it has a cool design. You may be able to find reviews on this on badmintoncentral. I believe I remember good reviews about it. This is head light and medium flexibility.

Overall, I would recommend the Ashaway Viper XT900 if you are willing to sacrifice some control. I have no personal experience with the Nanoray, but feel free to look up reviews. If you have any questions about the Kevlar Power 555/Ashaway Viper XT900, feel free to ask. Also, make sure to check out the reviews on the Carlton Vapour Trail S-Lite because I heard it was a good racket! I hope this helps.

3. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

If you want to play in some clubs, I recommend you sign up to a website called "meet up".
    From there you can find clubs and play in London and around England, you will have to check it out.

4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

5. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i would recommend the vt70 because i am assuming that your skills will improve, and you like to smash, so head heavy racket would be more suitable for you. the shaft is flexible enough for low intermediate player to advance player. i have the racket for a while now since it first came out and had a couple clashes when i was training and never had a crack, just a few very very minor paint chips...so i say the durability is ok. if you order the racket from a store in HK online i think you can find it for close to 70 pounds which is around 140 USD right? someone correct me about the currency rate if i'm wrong.

6. briskx

briskx Regular Member

I actually tried a voltic 5 and it felt bit weird, I didn't like how the racket felt heavy, not sure if it was just the grip the guy had on it, was a bit thin and I like it thick.

I've used an Amortech 500 for the past 6 years.

7. briskx

briskx Regular Member

I found a site which sells the VT 80 for 48 quid?!

I just have no clue what racket I need grr. Is it a case of getting used to a head heavy racket? or if something doesn't naturally feel good you shouldn't use it?

#7 briskx, Jun 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  8. amleto

amleto Regular Member

vt70 980RMB + postage + importfees from china, ~$190USD from taiwan + import fees. Never going to get a new vt70 for anything close to £70.

9. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

What site was selling the voltric 80 for £48?
    That doesn't sound genuine but it may be a bargain.

10. briskx

briskx Regular Member

11. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

Unfortunately that's a clone and at £48 plus £16 postage it's not very cheap!
    I preferred the vt5 to the vt7 for some reason but that's just my preference.