Is it possible to change the location of sweet spot?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by greblu, May 27, 2014.

1. greblu

greblu Regular Member

Student
    I am new to stringing. How does the location of the sweet spot differentiate from the stringing methods? How can I achieve a sweet spot that is located near the top of the racket?

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The seems to be a consensus that top-down stringing gives the higher sweet spot.

3. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

How is this possible? I only string bottom-up on the crosses on 76-hole rackets (I assume that top-down means that we string the crosses beginning at the top), and I've heard that the sweet spot is where the middles of the strings coincide. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I'm missing some vital information that governs why top-down stringing gives a higher sweet spot.

4. amrit88

amrit88 Regular Member

I would have thought by string top to bottom your would have lowered the sweat spot.

I feel when you string from top to bottom you are applying more pressure at the top, at the initial stage and therefore the head is more compressed from the top.
    top-bottom.png

If you are stringing from bottom to top you are forcing the top head area to by widen at the initial stage by compressing the bottom throat
    bottom-top.png

please correct me. I am a newbie stringer

5. visor

visor Regular Member

I've noticed top down has more responsive stringbed and consistent tension feel.

6. greblu

greblu Regular Member

Student
    Its really hard to make some theories...

Are there any FEM Simulations made of the racket stringed or even the stringing process? And the sweet spot how is it defined in a physical way? Area with the lowest tension? Area with longest possible elongation at shuttle impact? How do static and dynamic frame parameters influence the sweet spot? etc...
    I think there can be derived a lot of ideas for possible PhD thesis or scientific papers. To find the theoretical best possible stringing method.

But nevertheless what for us badminton players counts, is that the stringing is resulted in a responsive string-bed. And if trial and error results in that top down is better then bottom up it is o.k. for us.

#6 greblu, May 28, 2014
    Last edited: May 28, 2014
  7. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Firstly, thanks for these pictures - a perfect illustration of what happens to a racket and why side support placement is so important:).

To be honest, racket safety is my priority these days (especially at my tension), and data suggests that fewer rackets break when done bottom up than top down, so that's the way I'm going now. I may do a blind TD vs BU test soon, though, as I'm in the rare position of having three identical rackets and three identical strings.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

Do you mean break while stringing or during playing?

Can't wait for your test results...

9. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

While stringing.

You may remember that Yonex changed their instructions from top-down back to bottom-up a little while ago - rackets were, apparently, breaking while being done top-down at tournaments. Since the change, problem solved.

When my Gosen gets here I'll do a head-to head - I'll somehow have to disguise the knots;).

10. amrit88

amrit88 Regular Member

I was taught by a All England Yonex Stringer and he also suggested to string bottom to top for the crosses.

From my personal experience it feels much safe option to string from bottom to top. The reason being why I say this, I have noticed when I string the mains it feel more pressure is applied at the 4 o'clock and 8 clock arm support.

When I have completed a racket and disengaging the arm supports, I find the top arm support around 2 o'clock and 10 o'clock do not touch the racket by a millimetre. However there's always a bit of pressure around 4 o'clock and 8 clock arm support.

Is this the case for anyone else?

11. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I believe Mark is an AE stringer! lol

But to answer your question, yes that's normal - but some racquets tend to be better that others. For example, when I string my 8DX or JJS, they hardly move. Whereas when I string more flexible racquets, it does - esp oval racquets. What I tend to do is move the supports closer to make up the gap to prevent the frame from moving side to side when doing the last few crosses. But only just enough to close the gap - i.e. not to load the frame anymore.

I always string bottom up as I string one piece and haven't broken a single racquet so far (touches wood) and I string most of my own racquets at 30lb and above.

12. amrit88

amrit88 Regular Member

Hey R20190, What does AE represent?

Thank you replaying and sharing about the arm support. I will take that down in my notes. Just trying to learn much as possible about stringing, and trying to share what i have learnt.

13. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    No worries, we're all still learning off each other...

AE = All England

14. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

But maybe here are some questions while we have these qualified stringers are here... :D

1. Cross strings! A) what do you do to weave the strings so quickly? I always need to pull more string in to continue across the strings. B) For crosses, do you do local preweave, no preweave, or full preweave (or some mixture)?

2. What do people mean when they say that BG80 shrieks when it is pulled? (same with Victor VS-850) thread: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/78235-Victor-VS-850-Nanotec-String/page2 I am an impressionable person. Is it actually scary?

Also, copying off of a thread in the training and techniques section: What was your biggest badminton insight in stringing? (shaved the most off of your time maybe?)
    Thank you for your help! ;)

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    do softweave, and plus lots of pratice.

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...EO-hard-soft-weave-when-weaving-cross-strings

BG80 is pretty durable. there are other strings like NBG98 which gives a stuttering sound when the rubbery surface rubs against the grommet.

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/89823-50-string-jobs-later-what-have-I-learned

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yup. that's the case.

4/8 o'clock the frame is already bulged up, using your balloon illustration by going top-down will bulge it even more and eventually the frame can give. this is very rare case though, it means the frame need to be weak to begin with and the support poor (either weak or in the wrong position)

17. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I'll tell you what would settle this matter for us: a GIF of a racket being compressed from the top so we can see which part bulges the most from its default position...

Like you, I suspect it's more towards the bottom than the top, in which case bottom-up would get the stress away from that area faster than top-down.

Yes - when I do top-down I notice quite a bit of loosening of the top side supports, but almost none when doing bottom-up. This is what suggested to me that the latter is the safer way, as it is keeping the frame shape closer to its empty state.

P.S. I did the All England for Victor this year with paulstewart64, and we did every racket bottom-up - no breakages:).

18. Ashdelsol7

Ashdelsol7 Regular Member

Cad
    I used to string bottom up but have started stringing top down. I feel the tension is tighter and more consistent with a top down......anyone else think this? I normally start off around 2lbs looser for the first couple of crosses and then increase the tension.

I was under the assumption that the bottom of the racket is stronger than the top therefore less likely to break with a top down string job?

I also found that the top of the racket would pull from side to side more when stringing from bottom up?

From a playing point of view I like to have the top half of the stringbed tighter due to mishits or reaching for shuttle....whereas bottom of the stringbed is less used.....or is that just me?

I may have to restring a couple of rackets and do a direct comparison

19. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I never go more than one ahead these days. I've found that doing more than this can leave you with a twist in the string that won't come out; with one-weave-ahead you can pull the slack through next time and let any twist "shoot" down it.

It only screams when you're yanking a cross through the mains, because it's so rough.

20. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The top is certainly thinner, but the question is is it weaker under compression (top down) or expansion (bottom up)?

Data from tournament stringers - who are the ones pushing the rackets to their limits - suggests the former.