Commonwealth Games Updates, News & Promos

Discussion in 'Commonwealth Games 2014' started by Mr. Epic, May 28, 2014.

1. Mr. Epic

Mr. Epic Regular Member

Student
    logo.png
    As the 2014 Commonwealth Games - Glasgow 2014 approach us, I decided to make a thread containing information, news, updates and promos about the games.

Here is an image of the Emirates Arena, Glasgow, host to the badminton games at Glasgow 2014.

8247547296_e1c4ea4723_z.jpg

2. Mr. Epic

Mr. Epic Regular Member

Student
    Badminton ace Kirsty Gilmour says winning a medal at Glasgow 2014 is within her grasp

Kirsty-Gilmour.jpg
    Kirsty Gilmour dreams of a medal from the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games but more than anything else, she wants to have fun.

The 20-year-old from Bothwell is one of the nation’s top hopes as she tackles singles, doubles and team events in badminton at the Emirates Arena from July 24 to August 3.

It was of little surprise that Gilmour qualified for the major event, having enjoyed a hugely impressive season, but she admitted it was nice to be officially told.

Kirsty said: “It’s a really nice feeling to be over this little stage. It wasn’t really unexpected, but it’s a good feeling none the less, knowing that I’m in the team and I can look forward to the proper Games.

“I’m really looking forward to it; it’s the highlight of my year, although we have the World Championships two weeks after it.

“The Commonwealth Games will definitely be the highlight and the bridgemark of my year – how many athletes get to compete at a home Games?

“I’ve had a taste of it from the Scottish International in November, but the crowds at this one will be almost double what they were.

“It will be awesome, the venue will be packed, and hopefully the majority of them are on my side – but you never know.”

When asked about what she hopes to achieve, Kirsty said: “First of all I hope to get enjoyment out of it, otherwise what’s the point in taking part in the first place.

“In Delhi in 2010 there was no expectation, it was all about getting experience and enjoying myself, and I hope to be able to do that in Glasgow as well.

“I want to perform well and if I do then a medal is within my grasp. If not... I’m still young, and have more Commonwealth Games that I can hopefully take part in.

“Any medal would be a bonus and brilliant. The expectation on my shoulders at the moment is such that a bronze would be a big achievement, but there is a whole lot to do before I can even think about that.”

However, having steadily climbed the rankings over the last few years, Kirsty goes into the Commonwealth Games with confidence.

She said: “It has been a pretty good season and I hope I can reach my peak at the right time, although badminton isn’t really about that. In badminton you either play well or you don’t; it can all be down to inches and being in the right moment.

“I go into the Games with confidence though. I’m 18th in the World, No.1 in the UK, and third in the Commonwealth.

“That’s a nice place to be, although the girl in fourth place is pretty close at the moment.

“I’ll look to use that, and hopefully it will stand me in good stead.

“There’s a real buzz about it. I just missed out on a home Olympics, but to get a home Commonwealth Games is just as special. If that happens again in my lifetime I’ll be surprised.”

Source - http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/badminton-ace-kirsty-gilmour-says-3587471

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Kirsty is a very good talent. She stands a very good chance for a medal at the CG.

4. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Thanks for starting this thread. :)

That stadium looks nice!
    (not that I'm jealous b/c my city was in the running to host this CWG .... ;-)

5. Mr. Epic

Mr. Epic Regular Member

Student
    Ten Sports India - Promo [Saina Nehwal]

[video=youtube;cfl5cMXskTo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfl5cMXskTo[/video]

6. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Would be very difficult for Kristy to win a medal...
    As saina and pv are the favourites.. JYT also looking in form after the UC..if she wants to deliver a podium finish she has to def very talented opponents who are even experienced then her..Li Michele arundhati pc thulasi will be in contention too

7. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    MS IS MORE EXCITING as LCW has a almost confirmed gold but battle for silver will be very thrilling between kashyap srikanth gurusaidutt rajiv derek WFC ....

8. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Who is JYT??

9. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I think a couple of Singaporean WS players will probably be in contention as well. Barring a calamitous collapse, Saina and Sindhu should make it a 1-2 for India

10. madbad

madbad Regular Member

The MAS girl who won all her matches in the recently concluded UC

11. madbad

madbad Regular Member

If you think playing for silver and bronze is exciting

12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    The official website of the CG14
    https://www.glasgow2014.com/

The badminton jump-page:
    https://www.glasgow2014.com/games/sports/badminton

Schedule: July 24 through August 1.

According to the website,
    "Malaysia and England traditionally dominate this sport, which has tens of millions of followers and players around the world. You will also see rising stars from Scotland, India and Singapore who will challenge for the medals in Glasgow."

13. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    No I have clearly mentioned LCW will win gold and WFC and rajiv will also be in contention....so I have already said about Mal and eng also..and these players are only flag bearers in singles..obvio Ind won't be in the contention in doubles except jwala and ashwini..

14. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    And that is a matter of past this year Eng can finish on the podium only if adcock pair and if Chris and his ppartner be on their toes..

15. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Yes I believe gold will go for LCW

16. Baddersmum

Baddersmum Regular Member

I have seen annoucments for the selections from
    Cananda
    Scotland
    New Zealand
    Isle of Mann
    Jersey

Anyone know any others ?

17. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Should TJY, Tee Jing Yi, Msia 1st WS during Uber Cup. She is most senior WS now after Lydia Cheah decided to quit badminton for further studies

18. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Didn't she play some XD with LCW a couple of times? :)

19. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    It's not written in stone. LCW's form sometimes tends to take a dip mid-season. Besides, some of the other players will be equally motivated if not more.

20. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Thats certain tides may come and they may go....we can't make predictions for exception cases.....and so my predictions is based on probability and his current form...if he will not be in form than it would be a great news for indians kashyap and srikanth can finish on top...hope for the same :)