Grip size. What's yours?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Cheung, May 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Looked back with the search function but couldn't find any threads addressing this particular issue with any depth.

Just like to do a quick survey on people's preferences on size of grip.
    What do you prefer? Thick or thin.

Since grip size will vary with each different person let's take the following as a reference point; by gripping the racquet, can your third finger touch the fleshy bit underneath your thumb.
    Is your grip bigger than this or smaller than this or about this size?

Importantly, why do you have your particular size?

2. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    I use G 4.5 and put a single overgrip and wrap it like a double layer.

3. Don

Don Regular Member

I use a G4 and put 4 overgrips over it. I like it this way because it resembles my squash racquet very much. In case you are wondering, I can touch the fleshy part of my thumb with my middle finger with no problem.

4. Eric

Eric Guest

G4.5 with single layer of yonex super grap (note i only use half the yonex grap though) or G4 with standard factory grip if i need to replace grip i rip off the one that came gripped by the factory and put on a new one (but when i grip it again i grip it with the whole piece of grip). Just to let you know i dont have small hands, from the base of my palm to the tip of my longest finger its 7.75 inches.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Is that the thin grip or the thick spongy grip?

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

That's a small grip for a big hand!

7. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    No no, G4.5 stock grip, and then overgripped with a Black Knight grip which make the grip close to a G3.

8. Eric

Eric Guest

thats just the way i like it though i find that its easier to drive with a small grip and its easier to switch to backhand and back with the smaller grip.

9. BaMBaM

BaMBaM Guest

G3 for me is just perfect, not too big and not too small when you add an extra layer of overgrip. With one layer of overgrip, there is no loss in the handle's octagonal shape.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Why is it perfect for you? And what's the size of your hand?

11. BaMBaM

BaMBaM Guest

From my wrist to the tip of my middle finger, it measures about 19.5 cm. As for your way of measuring grip, my middle finger touches the fleshy bit just under my thumb IF I grip the handle harder. Otherwise they do not touch when relaxed and there is about a half a centimeter of free space in between.

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    G3 for me too but i cover it with a thinner type overgrip. I also have G4 rackets but i buildup the grip with more overgrip. At relax state, my 3rd finger is about 3mm from the thumb bottom but touching when smashing. Hey cheung, what grip you r using?

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i like G4 with two thin grips.

this beg for the question. is G3 + 1 grip better, or G4 + 2 grips better?

anyone experimented with this?

14. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Softer grips

I suspect that I may be gripping my racquet too tightly, which I understand decreases flexibility of the wrist and thus decreases power - is that correct? (I have had this same problem in golf for years). Over the weekend I demoed a Pointfore racquet (very nice incidentally, see my post in the equipment forum) that had a much softer and more padded grip than normal racquets, feeling like I had several sponge overgrips on it. I think it was the same G4 size as my Cab, on which I have a single layer of Prince DuraTred tennis racquet grip tape. I felt like I not only could get more wrist action into my shots with this racquet but that the racquet almost compelled me to use more wrist. Do you think the softer grip had anything to do with that sensation?

15. Calvin

Calvin Guest

Go with what you're comfortable with

Just use what you are most comfortable with....there's no specification depending on the size or your hand or weight of the racket.

16. BaMBaM

BaMBaM Guest

I did try it Kwun G3 + 1 grip is better than G4 + 2 grips.

G4 + 2 grips made the handle too soft and cushiony for me. I like it better when I can feel the wooden handle underneath. You lose a bit of sensitivity when playing I react a tad slower because the grip compresses before the racquet moves(I don't notice it much but In the back of my mind I do know I do).

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    that would be my point too.
    kwun, i would recommend the following:
    single: g3 + 1 overgrip
    doubles: g4 + 2 overgrip

ok?

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Re: Go with what you're comfortable with

So what about yourself Calvin? What do you define as comfortable?

19. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    My Carltons all have the same grip size, I think it's 3 1/2.
    My MP100 has a G3 grip.

I just use a single layer of some tacky Prince tennis overgrip. Being I'm 6ft 5in tall I have quite big hands so this would be considered a pretty small grip for me. I like it like that, plus I like to "feel the wood" through the grips... Towel grips never really worked for me. It just feels clumsy and impairs finger power.

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Re: Grip size. What's mine?

In the end I was hoping for a few more people's input.

Have you noticed Peter G and Eng Hian's grip? It looks really huge. Yet how do these players manipulate the racquet so well.

When I first started playing in UK, lots of people had way bigger grips to those I now see in HK/M'sia. Just why is that so?

Many of the replies seem to have quite small grips relative to the hand size.

The reason for my question was because I think I had been increasing the size of my grip unconciously to a point that was too large but hadn't realised it fro quite a long time.
    Strange, eh.

Only after a series of recent events did I realise something was wrong. (Wont' bore you with the details)
    Now that I have gone back to a smaller grip (G4 grip with the original leather grip ripped off, one thin grip and then a spongy grip on top), the racquet manipulation with the fingers and extra power are made easier. I may have to even take off the thin grip later.

Just my two cents to maybe help other people! Thanks for all replies.

BTW, I'm supposed to get more power. Playing singles last night, the clears seem to have extra bite and I didn't need so much effort in to get in a good whack of the shuttle. My arm can stay more relaxed until the critical impact point. Now I'm just itching to get into a doubles game................

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.