Weight Training for Badminton

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Steve the noob, May 30, 2014.

1. Steve the noob

Steve the noob Regular Member

I've been putting together my own (weight) training program for badminton. Considering it was an assignment to create a workout program for my fitness class, I couldn't see why not. I'm probably missing some muscle groups, but this is what I could fit into my schedule. Maybe it might be of use to some of you.

(Day 1 & Day 3)

Legs:
    Hamstring curls: 8/10/12/10 (increasing weight each set)

Leg Extensions: 8/10/12/10 (increasing weight each set)

Leg Adduction/Abduction: 10/12/10 (increasing weight each set, for each; Ad. and Ab.)

Walking Lunges w/Db: Even weight both sides, 15 lunges each leg for one set. Repeat another set with increased weight.

Kettle-bell Squats: 10/12/10 (increasing weight each set)

Barbell Squat: 10/12/10 (same weight throughout)

Deadlifts: 10/12/10/8 (same weight throughout)

Calf Press: 12/14/16/14 (same weight throughout)

Boxjumps: 10/12/14/12 (same height throughout)

Core:
    Plank: 2 sets of 1:30

Side plank: 1 set each side of 1:00

Medicine ball crunches: 30 reps

Leg lifts: 20/20

Scissor kicks: 20 reps

Bicycles: 40 reps

(Day 2 & 4 & 7)

Rest

(Day 6)

Cardio: Would be easier if you had access to a track.

On a 400m track, sprint 100m @ 80-90% intensity, run 50m @ 60%, walk 50m. Repeat this until you have gone about 5 laps around the track, for a total of 10x100m sprints.

Next, if there is a sand pit in the track area, do one pit length (approx 18m-20m) of quick feet, moving slightly forward with each step. Do one length of bounding. Do one length of high-knees.

Finish the day with 45 seconds of tuck jumps.

And there you have it, my somewhat inclusive of weights, weight training program for badminton! I gathered some inspiration from: (http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/26523-Weight-Training-for-Badminton) when making my program. I don't follow this program to the letter, sometimes I like to change it up, but this is generally what my workout looks like. I skipped back on this program because it really depends on what I feel like doing on a day to day basis, forearms left out cause I usually just use a racket head cover for resistance training. Thanks for reading!

2. nbonkowsky

nbonkowsky Regular Member

Athlete/Coach
    Great start to your program.

I was gonna ask why you didn't have anything for lower back and back in general but you said you have something separate for that so that works. Back strength is very important and quite often neglected by players.

What about shoulders and triceps/full arms workouts? Just cause as badminton players we use mostly our legs/core that does not mean that you don't train other parts of your body as well. Because if you neglect them such as biceps, chest, etc you then end up with muscular imbalances which will lead to other muscles compensating for their functions and in a sport that can never be a good thing leading to injury.

Just a suggestion, on your rest days why not add in some flexibility/stretching training? it is great for the muscles and helps prevent injury all around. Also there's tons of other core exercises that you can dig up by searching around both body weight and weighted ones so always great to have some variety in there.

Keep it up and hope all goes well with it!

3. Steve the noob

Steve the noob Regular Member

Good suggestion about the arms and flexibility. I actually neglect arms sometimes because they usually effect my performance when I train. I'm really sure why, but I can't seem to hit as well as I should when I do train arms 1-2 days after the workout. Maybe I should start training them ahead of badminton practices..

As for flexibility I've never really thought about it. I usually do a 10 min warm-up, my A's, B's, C's, and then some dynamic stretching pre-workout. Then I just stretch after. What kind of flexibility exercises do you recommend for my days off?

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

With my bodybuilder hat on, if your goal is to build muscle (rather than improve condition), HIT isn't the best move - it uses up glycogen and interferes with muscle repair.

An hour's walk at 65% of your maximum heart rate is best for keeping beef (especially first thing in the morning on an empty stomach).

5. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    ooooooh a training thread.

If it's for badminton, concentrate on explosive movements. Box squats, speed deadlifts using jumpstretch bands or chains for dynamic resistance, cleans with standing overhead press, plyo lunges.

Single joint movements do nothing.

6. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    Badminton needs a strong core for the power to transfer from your legs right up to your wrist.

7. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    I'll go out on a limb and say I may be the strongest badminton player in the world :)