Player of the tournament

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2014' started by renbo, Jun 4, 2014.

1. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I have just watch some of the games of the Thomas cup. I was quite impressed by Kento Momota. At 19 he steadily won all his matches in the later stage of the competition. He never waived.
    Other players played well too, like Tago that delivered against Chen Long, or CWF. But I would vote for Momota to be player of the tournament.
    Do you guys have a different opinion?

I did not watch yet the Uber cup, so I don't have an opinion on the player of the tournament for the ladies.

2. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Morten frost selected Saina Nehwal as "player of the tournament" for UBER CUP when the question was raised by GC during the final presentation ceremony.

No doubt in that. Though she still is not in her full form, she was perfect beating so many players very comfortably including the current world champion and 100 % record till semifinals.

3. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    She totally deserves it....all her matches were not only straight sets victory Infact her opponents never turned heavy on her!!!!even the young prodigy and current world champion RI...
    I wish she continues the same through out the year!!

4. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    for me the player of the tournament must win the prize, no matter how good he/she is without winning the prize cannot be consider the player of the tournament.

in my opinion, Li Xue Rui should be the player of the tournament... winning all the way and china won the uber cup too

5. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Actually its about player of the tournament and it certainly independent to the winning...
    Li xurei was throughout not in her best form!!! We don't expect under the bar performance from reigning world number1....moreover throughout the tourney she wasn't up against any top WS player!!!!so as Per my perception Morten's decision is correct..

6. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I heard Sindhu also had a good tournament, beating higher ranking people, but I didi not watch any Uber cup matches.

I think Tan and Goh also had a good tourney. They came out as a good surprise to me.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    TC and UC are two different tournaments:)

It so happens that they are played the same time......

8. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    But tan and Goh both played equally well..n both cannot be awarded as the player of the tourney!! Moreover pv did well but she had both her decisive matches lastinG till a rubber against Bella n sayaka respectively!!!both of them are lower ranked then her and she stumbled during both the matches and won just coz of her fighting spirit!!!! I would say saina in UC and kento in Tc

9. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    Wang Yihan, Wang Shixian, and especially World #1 Li Xuerui also has 100% winning records in this Uber Cup.

someone said LXR had easier opponent...and Li not in her best form.

well Sung Ji Hyun and TTY are top 10 player at the moment.
    moreover, Li defeat all of her opponent in straight set. is there anything better than straight set vicotry ?

last but not least, LXR defeat Mitani easier than Saina did. 21 - 5 in G2.

Mitani can score 25 points against host player Saina Nehwal, but only 20 points against the reigning Olympics champion.

I would say, it should be co-winner.

#9 Fortune, Jun 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  10. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    I gUess WYH n WSX's name is defiNITely outdone by others..so no clarifications on it...TTY is injured n def her was just like eating a plum pudding for Li...where as SN n Li never played each other in this UC the method to decide who is better must be..as follows
    SN DEF RI
    RI DEF SJH
    Li DEF SJH
    LI DEF TTY(injured)
    SN DEF LF (IN FORM)
    That meanS till now saina leading...by taking LF and TTY's playing record!!!! Whereas talking abt straight sets..many players did that...so as SN and Li according to me this ccarifies Morten Frost's decision !!

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That's very profound logic. Morten Frost should read it.

12. renbo

renbo Regular Member

The case for LXR is strong. But what push some people to disregard a bit her acheivment in this tourney is that there is no surprise in her results. We are accustomed to see LXR outplay others.
    Perhaps Saina's results are more surprising, showing that she raised above herself for the occasion.

13. djake

djake Regular Member

Dr
    IMO Saina deserves the player of the tournament accolade. She led by example and performed under huge expectations. She won the über cup bronze for India.

Li XR also did well. Perhaps she may have beaten Saina if they had played. But she was not as instrumental as Saina in this tournament. Without her, china will still have won the cup (not as much pressure as saina). Therefore in my books, Saina is more deserving of this imaginary accolade!

14. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    I agree!! Now there is no prize money or ranking points on it...so I think we should stop fighting on it!!! Everyone has a diff point of view and we should not manipulate it...so I guess thats all for this thread :D lets move to jpn ss

15. simonlovers

simonlovers Regular Member

I'll put Misaki Matsutomo/Ayaka Takahashi for the Uber Cup..they are a lil bit underrated
    never win again Bao Yixin/Tang Jinhua before , but they did it on Uber Cup final..
    beat Christina/Kamilla twice and the record change from 2-4 to 4-4
    deliver very crucial point when they face 0-2 againts India in Semi Final :cool: